Page 38 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast
Like Tree536Likes

Thread: Streaming services (Netflix, Prime, Hulu): What to watch

Bronze Member

Animal Kingdom: Damn good; suspenseful and great acting. I understand that they are filming the final season, but can't verify it. Can anyone clue me in?

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    Yes! I love Amanda Vickery, too! I loved her series about Georgian homes. I wonder if I can get the BBC 4 radio stuff here. I have been able to get some of it, but sometimes, they don't like my American IP. (As a side note about BBC 4, they did a reading of Georgette Heyer's Friday's Child with James Frain, and for the life of me, I can't figure out how to listen to it. I almost wrote a letter to BBC begging for it. It's super old though.)

I don't know if I've seen any documentaries from Dan Snow, but I did see him on a quiz show that focused on the Tudors, (which also had Lucy Worsley). The Great History Quiz was the title and I loved it! I wish we had shows like that here about American history and I think the format would work well with our Civil War or Revolution. And thanks for the suggestions! I bet I can scour the internet and find a lot of this on YouTube and maybe even Netflix or Amazon if I look around enough. I have an insatiable appetite for all of this.

Acorn TV is a subscription service which I get through Amazon Prime, but I think they also offer it through Hulu. It's a lot of British crime dramas and mysteries and some documentaries. I need to go see what new stuff they've added, because I've exhausted a lot of the documentaries on there. One that I did see was She-Wolves with Helen Castor - so I went out and bought that book toute de suite.

Last thing I finished on Netflix was The Fall and I feel like I should get some kind of reward for enduring that whole godawful thing. I love Gillian Anderson, but that show as like one badly written episode of Criminal Minds spread over 3 seasons. And the ending sucks balls. And I just can't get into Jamie Dornan at all.
    Try audible or Blackstone Audio for the Georgette Heyer.
    Re iplayer, get a proxy in the UK and log in. You can save favourites etc then.
    It's strange because it's funded by our licence fee, which you as a non-British don't pay.
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Try audible or Blackstone Audio for the Georgette Heyer.
    Re iplayer, get a proxy in the UK and log in. You can save favourites etc then.
    It's strange because it's funded by our licence fee, which you as a non-British don't pay.
    OK, I will give those suggestions a try! I just googled Blackstone and that looks pretty cool. And you know, if I thought BBC would accept a license fee from me, I would gladly hand it over to them. But yeah, I could try a proxy in the meantime to that...
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    OK, I will give those suggestions a try! I just googled Blackstone and that looks pretty cool. And you know, if I thought BBC would accept a license fee from me, I would gladly hand it over to them. But yeah, I could try a proxy in the meantime to that...
    You can use part of mine, I have to have a TV licence (because I have a TV) but rarely watch it. In fact I use it as a babysitter for my furbabies; so you can have part of mine
    Waterslide likes this.
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    You can use part of mine, I have to have a TV licence (because I have a TV) but rarely watch it. In fact I use it as a babysitter for my furbabies; so you can have part of mine
    lol, that's very generous and I graciously accept! I'm sure the furbabies love it though. Hell, I have the TV on some days just to babysit me...
    Novice likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    I thought I saw a post here about The OA but can't find it now. I just finished it the other day, and wow! It was pretty, pretty, pretty good. It's a Netflix original. Anyone here watched it yet?

I started this this last night when I couldn't sleep. I love sci-fi but this...WTF?
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by Alysheba View Post
    I'm headed towards 'Damages'. I watched the first season years ago. Going back. I love Glenn Close.
    i loved damages. watched every season and loved the very last episode of the series.

i'm around episode 4 of stranger things and I love it! i like that kids are in on the caper. my favorite kid is dustin, the one with lots of wavy hair and sometimes a lisp. he is so cute. and winona is kicking my ass, love her.

as stranger things was ending, there was a prompt on the screen for Black Mirror, so we clicked it and watched the first episode of season 1. Holy shit, have you seen the first episode of this? it is FLIPPED OUT! I'm not saying anything, watch it for yourself.
    Waterslide likes this.
    "The wild, cruel beast is not behind the bars of the cage. He is in front of it."...Axel Munthe

I watched one episode of Black Mirror, but it wasn't the first one. It's on my list, though.

I did start watching Skins here and there.
    panic likes this.

i would love to get your review of the first episode of black mirror on netflix. or anyone's really, lol.
    Waterslide likes this.
    "The wild, cruel beast is not behind the bars of the cage. He is in front of it."...Axel Munthe

Maybe I'll try to watch it tonight if I don't fall asleep before TV-watching time happens. Seriously, I have wanted to see that show for a while.
    panic likes this.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by panic View Post
    i loved damages. watched every season and loved the very last episode of the series.

i'm around episode 4 of stranger things and I love it! i like that kids are in on the caper. my favorite kid is dustin, the one with lots of wavy hair and sometimes a lisp. he is so cute. and winona is kicking my ass, love her.

as stranger things was ending, there was a prompt on the screen for Black Mirror, so we clicked it and watched the first episode of season 1. Holy shit, have you seen the first episode of this? it is FLIPPED OUT! I'm not saying anything, watch it for yourself.
    I have Stranger Things in my queue, the hubs watched it last week and he praised it. As a rule he and I don't care for the some programming. I'll check out Black Mirror. Thanks for the suggestion.
    panic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by panic View Post
    Are you talking about the pig episode?

I watched the first episode of Black Mirror and it was a big WTF?
    The show is getting super popular for some reason and a someone recommended it to me so I watched the second episode and it wasn't as bad.
    panic likes this.

OMG. I watched the first episode of Black Mirror and almost didn't make it through and I have a pretty strong stomach. I mean, it's not graphic or gorey, but the idea of it is traumatic. That show might need its own thread, because you almost can't discuss it without spoiling it, but it was fascinating social commentary in an Orwellian vein.
    panic likes this.

Yeah I hated S1 of Black Mirror bc it seemed pretty stuck on humiliation, specifically with a sexual twist. The rest of the first season was kind of like that.

The only reason I finished it is bc my husband wanted to. I wanted to go straight to season 2 or 3.
    panic likes this.

^Watched Episode 2 with Lady Sybil, and it was sex/humiliation-driven as well. So season 2 and 3 are a little less humiliation and a little more Twilight Zone?
    Beeyotch likes this.

Thread Information