Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast
Like Tree498Likes

Thread: Streaming services (Netflix, Prime, Hulu): What to watch

^that's what I had always heard, but then every person I admire ends up being a disappointment, so I never know what to think.

I hope they make another show set in Key West, because I can't get enough of looking at it. Bloodline might really have been better as an extended mini-series, or whatever it. Or maybe they could have stopped dawdling with the plot in season 2.
    Beeyotch and sputnik like this.
    You know, a dozen press agents working overtime can do terrible things to the human spirit. ~Cecil B. DeMille
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    I started watching the first 2 seasons of The Killing. But as soon as they solved the Rosie Larsen murder I wasn't much interested; the first episode of Season 3 didn't do much for me. Is it worth sticking with it?
    ultimately, yes. though the story in season 3 doesn't grip you as much as the first 2 seasons do it's worth it, especially if you enjoyed the first 2 seasons and you want to see how linden and holder end up.

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    we started watching the crown last night. we like it so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neptunia View Post
    Do you still like it? I've been watching the first few episodes and although it's a beautiful show, the production values are exquisite, but I'm finding it a bit dull. I think I'll continue, the coronation episode is up next and I'd like to see that but I'm not sure if I'll watch the rest.
    I finished it yesterday. I liked it, I'm glad I stuck it out.

Although I know it's only covered the early years of her reign, it still seems that they're writing her as more wide-eyed, idealistic and sympathetic than I imagined the queen to be. Like, I'm not sure how much or how emotionally she really fought for Margaret, or how passionately she responded to Philip about how he's the only one she's ever loved. Everything I've ever heard about her is that she had very strict "them's the rules, don't question them ever, and feelings and emotions are irrelevant; I have no use for them, they do not compute." Like wasn't she emotionally unavailable as a mother to Charles? If so, I doubt that exchange where she defended him to Philip as "he's just sensitive" ever happened.

Even the reproaching the queen mother about not providing them with a real education, I read that it was Margaret who openly resented her mother for that.
    my mother has been nagging me to start watching 'the crown'. i'm a little apprehensive because i get the feeling it will be more of a decorative show than a substantive one and because my mom tends to love the aesthetics more than the actual story.

also i've been really into detective/murder mysteries with female leads lately - just finished 'marcella', now watching 'top of the lake' and considering following that up with 'happy valley'.

'marcella': it's a mind fuck and worth watching even though it doesn't always work, there are some parts of the plot that don't really make sense and at times the story gets really preposterous. and yet you're compelled to keep watching. anna friel's good as marcella but man she needs to lay off the fillers, her face is unnaturally tight and waxy. it'll be interesting what season 2 will look like, i have a feeling it will either get much better and the writing will be a little more polished and mature, or it will fall apart really quickly.

'top of the lake': love this so far, it's got all the trademark jane campion feminist kookiness and eccentric characters but also a good mystery plot. elizabeth moss/peggy olson is fantastic.

i'm also really curious about 'westworld' but i don't feel like shelling out 15$ a month for hbo especially since i don't watch game of thrones so i'd basically be paying that much for the one show.
    Waterslide likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^ I really recommend Happy Valley. Especially series 1.

Thinking of watching The Crown but it's not my usual type of programme.
    Waterslide, fgg and BBDSP like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ultimately, yes. though the story in season 3 doesn't grip you as much as the first 2 seasons do it's worth it, especially if you enjoyed the first 2 seasons and you want to see how linden and holder end up.

my mother has been nagging me to start watching 'the crown'. i'm a little apprehensive because i get the feeling it will be more of a decorative show than a substantive one and because my mom tends to love the aesthetics more than the actual story.

also i've been really into detective/murder mysteries with female leads lately - just finished 'marcella', now watching 'top of the lake' and considering following that up with 'happy valley'.

'marcella': it's a mind fuck and worth watching even though it doesn't always work, there are some parts of the plot that don't really make sense and at times the story gets really preposterous. and yet you're compelled to keep watching. anna friel's good as marcella but man she needs to lay off the fillers, her face is unnaturally tight and waxy. it'll be interesting what season 2 will look like, i have a feeling it will either get much better and the writing will be a little more polished and mature, or it will fall apart really quickly.

'top of the lake': love this so far, it's got all the trademark jane campion feminist kookiness and eccentric characters but also a good mystery plot. elizabeth moss/peggy olson is fantastic.

i'm also really curious about 'westworld' but i don't feel like shelling out 15$ a month for hbo especially since i don't watch game of thrones so i'd basically be paying that much for the one show.
    Agree about The Killing and Linden/Holder.

I started to watch The Crown, but for some inexplicable reason it was depressing me. I'm not sure why, so I put it on the backburner. It was definitely very pretty, though, and I will start it up again when I'm in a better frame of mind. I'm a sucker for period pieces.

Marcella was good, kind of like a cross between The Killing and The Fall, both of which were dark and gloomy mindfucks and, to use your other term, preposterous, yet still engrossing. Well, at least I think both of those shows had some pretty convoluted plots, but maybe it's just me. Agree about Anna Friel's acting and her face.

Top of the Lake was beautiful (agree about the Campion characteristics you mentioned) and again made me want to move to New Zealand. I also love that the scenery and to some extent the characters and plot are all dreamy and beautiful, but also has some definite grittiness to it, kind of like real life in any over-the-top beautiful place.

I also started to watch Westworld, but only one episode so far. I'm hoping to do a little bingeing over the 4-day weekend. I haven't quite gotten sucked into it yet, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    ^ I really recommend Happy Valley. Especially series 1.

Thinking of watching The Crown but it's not my usual type of programme.
    I love Happy Valley so much and really want to rewatch it until the next series (season to us) comes out. I saw on IMDb that someone from England came on and asked something to the effect of, "How can any of you Americans even understand the show?" and I kind of got a little offended at first, but I realized what he was trying to ask was, "I live in England and I can barely understand them, how can Americans?" I dunno. I didn't have too many problems with it. There are definitely things you pick up on as different, but I didn't need an interpreter or something. But the acting is fucking phenomenal. I love Sarah Lancashire and Siobhan Finneran (who I think of as the nasty maid on Downton Abbey, but she's totally different here). It's kind of like Top of the Lake in that it's got this beautiful landscape, but a nasty undercurrent.
    palta, Sarzy and sputnik like this.
    You know, a dozen press agents working overtime can do terrible things to the human spirit. ~Cecil B. DeMille
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

^ Haha, yes they must have been talking about the Northern accents in Happy Valley. They can be more difficult to understand for some but I don't think they're that bad either.
    Waterslide likes this.

i've always been able to understand english accents until i watched the english version of shameless. couldn't do it.

top of the lake is one of my faves. very creepy!

when i first saw westworld i thought it sucked but i watched another episode and it's catching on for me.
    sputnik likes this.
    "The Park City Men's March is underway! There's only 8 of us but we're yelling Warrant lyrics outside of a Sephora."...Patton Oswalt

Elite Member

I love The Crown because it puts me right to sleep. It's not that I don't enjoy it, there's just something really soothing about it so far, like taking a nap while the golf match is on on Sunday afternoon.
    Waterslide likes this.

i finished 'top of the lake', loved it. it's weird and hard and oddly funny and touching too. very jane campion but with an oddly david lynch vibe.
    panic and Waterslide like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Speaking of British netflix offerings, I watched a 3-part series called Very British Problems and have concluded that I am totally, ok 90%, British.

They touch upon Brits' dislike of confrontation, for example how they won't say anything if they dislike the food at a restaurant and will still eat it. Or if you get a haircut you hate, you say you love it and suffer a horrible haircut.
    How they'll "Tut-tut" in disapproval of public behavior--for example someone being annoying during a movie--instead of directly telling them to shut up.
    How they don't actually want a real answer to "How are you?" and hatred of small talk in general.
    How they dislike forced intimacy in public situations (i.e., how Starbucks and other sales people want to call you by your first name. "You don't need to know my name for this! I always give a fake name and it's always Jane" )

I just saw there's a season 2, gotta watch that.
    Waterslide, Sarzy and sputnik like this.

i finished 'top of the lake', loved it. it's weird and hard and oddly funny and touching too. very jane campion but with an oddly david lynch vibe.
    i thought it interesting when holly hunter made her first appearance. not her usual type of role, lol
    Waterslide likes this.
    "The Park City Men's March is underway! There's only 8 of us but we're yelling Warrant lyrics outside of a Sephora."...Patton Oswalt

fgg

top of the lake was really good but i didn't have high hopes for season 2 when i heard nicole kidman was going to be in it.
    sputnik likes this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    ^ Haha, yes they must have been talking about the Northern accents in Happy Valley. They can be more difficult to understand for some but I don't think they're that bad either.
    Definitely. It's a very distinct way of speaking, but I think probably more of the technical police terms would be harder to "translate" than the accents. I love the sound of the Northern accents anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by stella blue View Post
    I love The Crown because it puts me right to sleep. It's not that I don't enjoy it, there's just something really soothing about it so far, like taking a nap while the golf match is on on Sunday afternoon.
    Lol, I have a few shows like that. Actually any of the Lord of the Rings movies do that to me, too.
    Speaking of British netflix offerings, I watched a 3-part series called Very British Problems and have concluded that I am totally, ok 90%, British.

They touch upon Brits' dislike of confrontation, for example how they won't say anything if they dislike the food at a restaurant and will still eat it. Or if you get a haircut you hate, you say you love it and suffer a horrible haircut.
    How they'll "Tut-tut" in disapproval of public behavior--for example someone being annoying during a movie--instead of directly telling them to shut up.
    How they don't actually want a real answer to "How are you?" and hatred of small talk in general.
    How they dislike forced intimacy in public situations (i.e., how Starbucks and other sales people want to call you by your first name. "You don't need to know my name for this! I always give a fake name and it's always Jane" )

I just saw there's a season 2, gotta watch that.
    I sometimes watch things in the background when I'm at work, and I tried to watch Very British Problems and I was laughing so hard I had to turn it off. I'm (at least) 90% British, too I think. Did you see the part about the "fuzzy wawa"? Anyway, I gotta start that one up again.

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    top of the lake was really good but i didn't have high hopes for season 2 when i heard nicole kidman was going to be in it.
    Eek. I don't even hate Nicole Kidman and I don't think I'd want to see that. I like Elisabeth Moss plenty (assuming Nicole was going to replace her?).
    ~Manx Mouse

^^^
    no, according to wikipedia, griffin (moss' character) will be investigating a case in hong kong. it doesn't say what role kidman will be playing just that she'll be in it. and she and campion worked together before, nicole does well with good directors and it will be interesting to see her on tv. she'd have to be in a role where her plastic face makes sense, like a rich socialite or something.
    Waterslide likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    Agree about The Killing and Linden/Holder.
    I loved the series finale. I cried like a baby at the end.

Last weekend I watched season two of Kimmy Schmidt. It was ok. I liked Tina Fey's character.
    Waterslide and sputnik like this.

^^^
    no, according to wikipedia, griffin (moss' character) will be investigating a case in hong kong. it doesn't say what role kidman will be playing just that she'll be in it. and she and campion worked together before, nicole does well with good directors and it will be interesting to see her on tv. she'd have to be in a role where her plastic face makes sense, like a rich socialite or something.
    Oh wow, I forgot about The Portrait of a Lady! I actually really like Nicole and a lot of her movies, and miss her human face, etc. I just didn't want to see her taking over for Griffin, but I would be intrigued to see where this could go. It would be interesting to see her as a bad guy or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by palta View Post
    I loved the series finale. I cried like a baby at the end.
    Me too. It takes a lot to get me to that point with TV couples, but...yeah. That ending definitely worked for me.
    sputnik and palta like this.
    ~Manx Mouse

Thread Information