Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast
Like Tree498Likes

Thread: Streaming services (Netflix, Prime, Hulu): What to watch

It took a bit to get into, and I suspect if was a Netflix/HBO show it would be even more edgy, but I have found myself getting into Aquarius on Netflix. NBC makes it but Netflix gets the uncensored version which has some swears and topless hippies here and there. They are just adding in the 2nd season - every Sunday two episodes get put up. It stars David Duchovny and is about the build up to the Manson murders, some parts fictional, some not. It has a bit of a ridiculous premise and with it being the late 60s and all, every single issue seems to come up from around that time (assassinations, women's rights, Black Panthers, interracial marriages, Vietnam protests, Nixon,etc) and in the midst of all this you get a super attractive Charlie Manson and his followers (spoiler alert: none of the girls in real life were as hot as these chicks) along with the usual soundtrack and bits that definitely look more modern.

But for some reason, I'm pulled in. There's been some creepy gritty scenes (including re-enactments of the Sharon Tate murder scene which I read her sister is furious about) and I just am a Duchovny fan (his character is pretty much Hank Moody) and fascinated with cults along with enjoying this whole period in history so it's beens something to keep up with.

Yeah it takes a bit like you have to make yourself watch the second season and I love Duchovny and would watch him in anything. It is much improved this go around.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Oh The Wire tore my heart out. That season that focused on the kids and the school system almost broke me. I only kept watching because my husband did.
    The kids tore me up too. I wanted to rescue them, it was a killer.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I started to watch Aquarius last year and somehow got sidetracked. I should give it another go.

That season of The Wire featuring the educational system should be mandatory watching for anyone going into human services fields, or just everyone in general, but I agree with you guys, it was hard to watch.
    You know, a dozen press agents working overtime can do terrible things to the human spirit. ~Cecil B. DeMille
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

I watched the documentary on Netflix called Who Took Johnny, which is about the missing boy Johnny Gosch. *shudder* Not sure what to think but horrible story.
    Waterslide likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    I watched the documentary on Netflix called Who Took Johnny, which is about the missing boy Johnny Gosch. *shudder* Not sure what to think but horrible story.
    Ooh yeah I watched this one last weekend. It's just bonkers. I can't fathom how shit those cops were with a child missing but how it explodes into conspiracy and the later stuff with the mom is batshit and I don't know what to believe.

Another batshit documentary on netflix now - Holy Hell. It's about this cult that started in the mid-80s (here's the connection to my Aquarius watching beyond cult fascination - the guy who runs the cult in Holy Hell was an extra on Rosemary's Baby which was directed by Roman Polanski....Sharon Tate....Charles Manson) that attracted all these 80s yuppie types. It basically existed as an ego trip for the leader and it went tits up eventually, as all of them do, but it's pretty stunning how long it took and everything that was happening in the meanwhile as the leader tries to stop aging.
    Sarzy and Waterslide like this.

I finally watched Going Clear on HBO Now. No new information, but it was interesting hearing the actual escapees talk about it in depth.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

The only reason I'm still watching aquarius (on nbc) is because of david d. But I don't know why cause he was in californication and i never watched that. i think since seeing him in the new x files i don't want to miss him in anything cause i liked his acting so much. He makes aquarius worthwhile but none of the other characters really interest me.

i'm watching Orphan Black on amazon. it is fuckin great.
    "The Park City Men's March is underway! There's only 8 of us but we're yelling Warrant lyrics outside of a Sephora."...Patton Oswalt

Elite Member

I've been enjoying Red Rock on Amazon Prime. And I just finished watching The Code, Australian TV show, on Netflix. That was excellent - really nicely done.
    Sassiness likes this.
    Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum

I watched Who Took Johnny and Holy Hell a couple of weeks ago. Who Took Johnny was indeed batshit from start to finish. I don't know what to believe either, but I would love to know if anyone is presently investigating this alleged pedophilia ring in Tulsa (I think it was?). I can't get the entire story out of my head, and I wonder if there is any connection to the Hollywood pedophile ring. It's all just so vile.

Yesterday, I watched a Netflix documentary called Audrie & Daisy, which is another rage inducer. It basically follows the aftermaths of two high school rape cases. There is a really charming police chief who's a part of one of the stories and I hadn't felt that angry and skeeved by anyone since Ken Kratz from Making a Murderer. They must be related.
    You know, a dozen press agents working overtime can do terrible things to the human spirit. ~Cecil B. DeMille
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Johnny gosch is big Iowa history. I think I was in 4th grade when he disappeared along with Eugene Martin. Their photos hung in my social studies class and I would always stare at them and wonder what happened to them.

I dunno what to think about the whole thing. Noreen gosch kinda went off the rails.
    Waterslide likes this.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    Johnny gosch is big Iowa history. I think I was in 4th grade when he disappeared along with Eugene Martin. Their photos hung in my social studies class and I would always stare at them and wonder what happened to them.

I dunno what to think about the whole thing. Noreen gosch kinda went off the rails.
    I didn't realize that Johnny and Eugene were what spurred putting pictures of missing kids on milk cartons. I was about the same age as you when all of that happened, and I remember the Adam Walsh murder as well. The 70s and 80s were a strange time to grow up because we were probably the last generation to be allowed to play outside after dark and walk miles to school by ourselves or wander around stores unsupervised, but we were also taught to fear what was lurking in the shadows. I don't know. Maybe other generations feel that way, too. Obviously danger wasn't invented in the 80s, and maybe it was just that the media was more vocal about missing children, but it felt like there was a before and after as far as what was deemed safe for children.

As for Noreen, I can't imagine going through all that she went through, but obviously something she is saying is not adding up. She seems so lost.
    sputnik likes this.
    ~Manx Mouse

Just finished the first season of Last Chance U. If you like football, this is a good one. It's a docu series about the prep school football league. Who knew there was one? It's where kids who couldn't cut it at a Div 1 school or got dropped (mostly for academics) go to play and up their grades to get the div 1 offer. I think I made it sound boring, but it's a bit like watching Friday Night Lights only it's real and you root for these kids.
    greysfang and C_is_for_Cookie like this.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

Can't wait for the next Marvel show - Luke Cage. Daredevil and Jessica Jones were amazing.

Only downside: I have exams coming up, so can't really afford to binge watch.

I'll have to use each episode as a carrot: do X amount of study, then watch an episode. (I'm not that disciplined. I'm going to end up binging the fuck out of it...)

I'm binging Arrow right now. Damn, he is hot.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Thread Information