Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smallville

Quote Originally Posted by Elisa View Post
    I'm a fairly new fan and find it one of the best shows on TV. It was nice to learn that Smallville broke Charmed's record for highest rated debut for The WB, with 8.4 million viewers tuning in for its pilot and its still going pretty strong today considering its into its 6th season.

I found this article around "TV ratings and predicting the Next Big Money Making Show" interesting. Here's a quote that I think sums up Smallville's popularity nicely.

Smallville is a show that you will never see on the Nielsen's Top 20. The appeal isn't that broad. However, it's viewers are about as loyal and internet savvy as you can get. Smallville typically ranks very high in the sales of their season DVDs amongst competitors. It's no wonder the show obtains such a high FPR (Fan Popularity Ranking).

Home Page Blog
    That interesting. I didn't know that. I'm glad they survived the network change.

Eli

I had a dream last night where I was having an "affair" with Tom, even though of course we never did anything but I think we both worked in the local library (weird) and we just knew there was something between us. Anyway all this took place at night mind you, in the end his wife Jamie popped up pregnant as hell and he had to rush her off to have her babies (twins!) and I recall she went into labour because she accidentally banged her stomach on the desk. I think Tom was in a bad mood with me too, because he helped Jamie to their car (a dark silver family car!) and I stood by the door and said "Good luck" and for some reason he frowned at me! I woke up a little later and I was so perplexed.
    So first on Monday I had a dream about a murder in my old pre-school, the next day Haylie Duff is a waitress for me and Mark Welling, and then last night this crazy library dream. I have to say I'm looking forward to sleep tonight because as weird as they are they're really interesting and nearly always Smallville related.

Just need to vent that.

Eli

OMG the trailer for next week's finale is cool as! This week's episode was pretty crappily average once more, but I know that next week's will be great.
    I just loved the ad, knew that Lois gets stabbed but of course she can't die unless Chloe is the real Lois, in which case: wtf???
    Liked that Lana decided she was never coming back, but I noticed someone was following her. Obviously a Phantom, because he blew her car up.
    I don't know though... lack of Chloe makes me nervous. I swear, if she dies... the show will lose its spark. We'll just have to trust that Miles, Al & the entire crew are aware of that.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    OMG the trailer for next week's finale is cool as! This week's episode was pretty crappily average once more, but I know that next week's will be great.
    I just loved the ad, knew that Lois gets stabbed but of course she can't die unless Chloe is the real Lois, in which case: wtf???
    Liked that Lana decided she was never coming back, but I noticed someone was following her. Obviously a Phantom, because he blew her car up.
    I don't know though... lack of Chloe makes me nervous. I swear, if she dies... the show will lose its spark. We'll just have to trust that Miles, Al & the entire crew are aware of that.
    Did I hear correctly that someone is supposed to die in the finale? I could be making that up.

I don't think Chloe is going anywhere. She'd be the most dispensible only because she's not an original comic character so they could kill her off as opposed to Lois, BUT Chloe is far too popular with Smallville's loyal viewers. There would definitely be a revolt and I'd be one of them. Truth be told, I really hope at some point she ends up with Clark and he comes to his senses about Lana.

Also, Tom has signed on for another season, but I don't think Lex has...or Lana???? Maybe I heard wrong and they're both putting in one more season and calling it quits. I hate that the show is going to be on hiatus. I'd watch re-runs, but I already have the DVD set of Seasons 1-5 that I've re-watched ad nauseum. LOL
    Last edited by Elisa; May 13th, 2007 at 08:42 AM.

Eli

This is the first time I'm actually up to date with Smallville, so it's a little weird.
    But yes, one of the main 4 "dies" in the next episode. Unfair. But if you ask me I have a theory that

*SPOILER- DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T LIKE THEORIES!*

Lex "kills" Lana, that is, she finds out too much and they wound her like they did with Wes, and then use her body to become a super-warrior, and so she becomes a bad guy in season 7. How awesome would that be? Totally sick and twisted.
    Ah, but the baby thing needs to be addressed next week.

Eli

Well...
    The finale was the best episode ever. I don't know how many times I've said that either. But it really was. This show just improves season upon season. At this rate it won't end until 2017!
    First off, I just want to say that the last half hour was truly horrific. It was so dark and filled with so many subplots that it just made me SO happy.
    It's pretty obvious that nobody has died yet. Well, maybe Chloe. I mean it was so convenient that this random van just happened to drive pasr Lana's jeep right before it blew up. So of course, she got into the van. Duh.
    Lois dying was very shocking. I was actually thinking that would be it for her. Then Chloe used those magic healing tears and died herself. Hmm... There's also Lionel, who's about to drown, and also Lex who was on the bridge with the police being arrested when the water below them got sucked under- I'm pretty sure that could put him in danger. And of course, Clark. Who was thrown away, sort of comically.
    The only one not returning next year is Annette O'Toole, which is interesting as I didn't even know that until today. I wish I'd had a chance to say goodbye, but at least she's not leaving in a body-bag. I guess now it was obvious that she was saying goodbye, with the way they had a long shot of her at the door smiling. That did make me suspicious, but I just thought it meant 'see ya till next year'. I hope she becomes President.
    By the time the episode got to 37 minutes running time, I was wondering if it would be one of those special elongated episodes, because Bizarro Clark hadn't even popped up yet. So I don't know if it was because of that or not, but once the ending came I just wasn't ready.
    Seriously, this is the biggest cliffhanger for a show I've ever seen. I'm so worried for Chloe, and I guess I will be for 3+ months. (But honestly, I don't think any of them will die; the 'death' will have been Lana and Lois, seeing as technically Lois DID die; and Lana is "dead" to the world right now)
    Last thing I'll mention before I expect HUGE discussions with you guys, is that the special effects were movie-equivalent. It's amazing they can get away with it on a TV show, but I guess the DVD sales don't sour their bank accounts.

Eli

Okay, that opening ep was like the most boring shizzle ever, huh? Everyone else seems to like it, I thought it was boring!!!!
    And Laura Vandervoort? LOL @ her surname. Where's the Muppets when you need 'em?

Elite Member

Just bumping this thread to say that I love the new hottie that plays the editor of the Daily Planet, who we have discovered is Lex's "dead" brother, hidden for years. Mmmm....they have the cutest guys on Smallville.

Bronze Member

I love Smallville!

It's really great show!

My daughter and I just started watching this series on Netflix. We are enjoying it and are just finishing up the first season. Is it worth the time to view all 10 seasons??

IMHO... If you love the strong, intelligent, funny and self motivated personality of Chloe Sullivan - avoid the pain of watching Smallville. Season two onwards is a game of "kick the Chloe".

If, however, you like whiny, annoying, Mary-Sue characters like Smallville's Pink Squirrel "Prinssssith" Lana Lang - you'll love it. If you don't mind being spoiled for the first three seasons, google "the Fetishisation of Lana Lang".

I can bitch, moan, whine and complain about the Dirty Old Men of Smallville (the two creators) for hours. They cast teenager Kristen Kruek first, and admitted casting every other character (*cough*Clark&Lex*cough*) around Kruek. Between season one and two - when test audiences showed Chloe was more popular than Lana - they deliberately start to cram the perfection of their beloved, shits-rainbows Lana further down your throat because You Must Love The Pink Squirrel!!1!

Just my opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by JadeStar70 View Post
    My daughter and I just started watching this series on Netflix. We are enjoying it and are just finishing up the first season. Is it worth the time to view all 10 seasons??

IMO, Season 4 was the last completely good season - Alicia the Clark obsessed mutant, Jason Teague (Supernatural's Jensen Ackles), and Lex was written well. Season 5 started the slow decline, and I quit watching around Season 6.
    They say it's the good girls who keep diaries. The bad girls never have the time. Me, I just wanna live a life I'm gonna remember even if I don't write it down. -
    Tallulah Bankhead

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    IMHO... If you love the strong, intelligent, funny and self motivated personality of Chloe Sullivan - avoid the pain of watching Smallville. Season two onwards is a game of "kick the Chloe".

If, however, you like whiny, annoying, Mary-Sue characters like Smallville's Pink Squirrel "Prinssssith" Lana Lang - you'll love it. If you don't mind being spoiled for the first three seasons, google "the Fetishisation of Lana Lang".

I can bitch, moan, whine and complain about the Dirty Old Men of Smallville (the two creators) for hours. They cast teenager Kristen Kruek first, and admitted casting every other character (*cough*Clark&Lex*cough*) around Kruek. Between season one and two - when test audiences showed Chloe was more popular than Lana - they deliberately start to cram the perfection of their beloved, shits-rainbows Lana further down your throat because You Must Love The Pink Squirrel!!1!

Just my opinion...
    Preach it!!! Lana Lang sucks. The writers' enormous Lana boner made me quit watching round the end of season 5. But Chloe kept bringing me back.

Did you like Lois? Little I saw of her she annoyed me too but my friends who saw more of the show really liked her.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

We are about at the middle of season 4 now. Still really enjoying the show. The kid that plays Clark is so nice looking, even with the one pointed tooth. And Lex,...what can I say about Lex??? I never thought he would be my favorite character. I love him on the show and the guy that plays him. He is a great actor. I hate that he will turn bad, (or I assume he will, since he was in the movies) because he does really have a good heart. You really feel that all he has ever wanted was love and acceptance from his Father. Lionel to me is a hoot!! I love him and Lex in scenes.

Lana and Martha bug the shit out of me, and sometimes Chloe, too. She can be to up everyone's ass at times and it gets on my nerves. That and how she is always telling Clark how in love she is with him. Can't she be like most teenage girls and hide her crush and drool from afar?? lol I also hate how they dropped Pete out of the storyline, as of now anyway. I liked him.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information