Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sienna Miller to play Maid Marian in Ridley Scott's 'Nottingham'

This looks great. I can't wait to see it.

Hit By Ban Bus!

^^It does, doesn't it? It will really be awesome if they keep the sex scene. (unlike Gladiator, and Proof of Life. I'll never understand those decisions. )

Russ and Cate's very merry sex scene
    Christine Sams

June 21, 2009 - 12:10AM
    RUSSELL CROWE and Cate Blanchett have filmed a sex scene for the new Robin Hood blockbuster, with Crowe revealing the on-set chemistry between the pair is very merry indeed.
    The two Oscar winners are in Britain filming Nottingham , the latest retelling of the tale about Robin Hood and Maid Marian. Crowe described Blanchett as "very special".
    "So far we have ridden horses together, seen off the bad guys, got naked (partially), wallowed chin-deep in mud, danced by firelight, attended a funeral and kissed," said Crowe, in an email to The Sun-Herald . "What can I say? It's an interesting gig."
    Blanchett inherited the role of Maid Marian after Sienna Miller was dumped from the Ridley Scott film - amid reports the female lead needed to be a little older, to complement Crowe in the leading role.
    "I can't talk highly enough of her skill and sense of humour," said Crowe, of working with Blanchett. "She is a wonderful partner in crime and now that we are under way, I can't think of anyone else in this part."
    Crowe, who was on a strict physical fitness campaign to trim down for his role in Nottingham , has also hosed down reports of trouble on set with director Scott.
    "His gaze is steely, his demeanour determined, at 72 years old he is an inspiration to every man and woman on the set," said Crowe. "Ridley and I have never made a secret of the way we work, we agree to disagree because in the calculation of both our opinions we create the best idea. There's no yelling, no diva bullshit, we are doing our jobs to the best of our abilities and try to do something special every day."
    Crowe described the Nottingham production as "gargantuan - the biggest I've ever worked with".
    He has spent much of the filming last week on horseback, with scenes taking place in Wales. Crowe and Blanchett are commuting back to London regularly from the set, with their families also based in Britain during filming.

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald
    Russ and Cate's very merry sex scene

Russell Crowe films a battle (cute one of Russ and a baby )

Daily Mail: Actor injured during filming of dramatic battle scene as Russell Crowe's Robin Hood comes to life (More pictures of the battle)

Hit By Ban Bus!

^^^Good for Ifans.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Film star Russell Crowe’s £600 tip for pub’s barstaff -- BARSTAFF at a West Wales pub (The Carew Inn) were left with plenty to Crowe about – when Gladiator star Russell left them a whopping £600 tip and treated them to an impromptu gig. - Staff were also treated to Crowe’s singing skills as he whipped out his guitar and began belting out the Bryan Adams classic Summer of ’69 with help from ER actor Scott Grimes and X-Men star Kevin Durand, who play Will Scarlett and Little John in the film....“He seemed quite friendly and chatty like a really nice guy, and he had a great singing voice.” Crowe led his nine merry men through a rendition of Everly Brothers hits and folk trio Peter, Paul and Mary’s number one song Leaving On A Jet Plane. The Oscar-winning actor has previously dabbled in rock music, releasing CDs under the name Rus le Roq and 30 Odd Foot Of Grunts.

Russell might have a temper on him, but he also sounds like a really generous, fun and down-to-earth actor. He makes a refreshing change. Oh, and he's sex on legs too.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Wiseguy, I couldn't agree with you more.

Hit By Ban Bus!

UNTITLED ROBIN HOOD ADVENTURE May 14, 2010
    Genre: Action-Adventure

Cast: Russell Crowe, Cate Blanchett, William Hurt, Matthew Macfadyen, Mark Strong, Oscar Isaac, Léa Seydoux, Scott Grimes, Kevin Durand, Alan Doyle, Danny Huston and Max von Sydow
    Directed by: Ridley Scott
    Writers: Ethan Reiff & Cyrus Voris, Brian Helgeland, Paul Webb, Tom Stoppard

Oscar winner Russell Crowe stars as the legendary figure known by generations as “Robin Hood,” whose exploits have endured in popular mythology and ignited the imagination of those who share his spirit of adventure and righteousness. In 13th century England, Robin and his band of marauders confront corruption in a local village and lead an uprising against the crown that will forever alter the balance of world power. And whether thief or hero, one man from humble beginnings will become an eternal symbol of freedom for his people.

The untitled Robin Hood adventure chronicles the life of an expert archer, previously interested only in self-preservation, from his service in King Richard’s army against the French. Upon Richard’s death, Robin travels to Nottingham, a town suffering from the corruption of a despotic sheriff and crippling taxation, where he falls for the spirited widow Lady Marion (Oscar winner Cate Blanchett), a woman skeptical of the identity and motivations of this crusader from the forest. Hoping to earn the hand of Maid Marion and salvage the village, Robin assembles a gang whose lethal mercenary skills are matched only by its appetite for life. Together, they begin preying on the indulgent upper class to correct injustices under the sheriff.

With their country weakened from decades of war, embattled from the ineffective rule of the new king and vulnerable to insurgencies from within and threats from afar, Robin and his men heed a call to ever greater adventure. This unlikeliest of heroes and his allies set off to protect their country from slipping into bloody civil war and return glory to England once more.

Universal Releases Synopses for GREEN ZONE, MACGRUBER, UNTITLED ROBIN HOOD ADVENTURE, GET HIM TO THE GREEK, YOUR HIGHNESS

Thanks for the update, Sasha. It just whets my appetite, cause I'm really looking forward to seeing this movie when it's released. Russell is HOT!

Hit By Ban Bus!

^^You're welcome. It sounds like great fun, does it not?

I'm wondering when they're finally going to settle on a title.

Hit By Ban Bus!

^^^Great update! You've just made my day, Sasha! Russell looks HOT.

I read the title as Sienna Miller to play Mermaid Man... LOL!!
    Somebody blow Mel Gibson Already- Michael K

Looks like a good movie.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Hit By Ban Bus!

Rusty rides again

Russell Crowe in Robin Hood.

Article from:
    ANDREW FENTON

December 12, 2009 12:00am

HE'S made more headlines off the set than he has for his acting recently. Now Russell Crowe is trying to rebuild his tarnished image by playing the ultimate people's hero.

SMOKE drifts across a medieval battleground littered with corpses struck down in a hail of arrows. At the top of a hill, the entrance to a towering French castle is engulfed by flames, while down below hundreds of soldiers in the massive siege camp of King Richard the Lionheart are making last-minute preparations for coming battle.

In the middle of all this carnage stands a slim but muscular bloke in tight leather pants who, a little incongruously, is holding a battered steel-string guitar. Softly he begins to sing Bruce Springsteen's Highway Patrolman as 100 or so grotty, long-haired and bearded soldiers crowd around. And then, as one, they join in to sing backing vocals. At the end everyone lets out a huge cheer.
    Welcome to the set of Ridley Scott's $130 million (A$155 million) "Untitled Robin Hood Adventure" where Russell Crowe is taking a short break from the swashbuckling rigors of playing the title role. It's Day 80, a warm summer's day in England, but we're a long way from Sherwood Forest. Here at The Bourne, Heathrow Airport is just 20 minutes distant.
    But pretty soon, it's back to business as the guitars, Springsteen and the 21st century are pushed to one side and positions resumed for a comical fight scene between Robin and one of his merry men, Little John (Kevin Durand). It involves Crowe swinging from the rafters before whacking Durand with a dead chicken. "Enjoy this fight," an assistant director tells them. "It's a good reward after a hard days' killing."
    A lot of people have died around here, at least on camera. We're standing in "Gladiator Valley", so named because it's the exact spot Maximus led the Roman Army to victory against the Germanic tribes in the opening scenes of Scott and Crowe's first, and most successful, collaboration. It's far from the only similarity between this version of Robin Hood, and the five-Oscar epic. At times, it seem like they're deliberately trying to recreate that Gladiator magic. Rusty has been through a rigorous training regime with an NBA trainer to shed the sweaty fat man look from Body of Lies - more accurately, Body of Pies - and shortly before filming, Scott instructed his newly buff action star to crop his hair close and grow a beard.
    "I said: `Well, that's Maximus,"' says the gruff, sardonic Crowe as we sit in King Richard's opulent tent well after midnight. "He said: `Look, I think if we're going to steal from anybody, we're OK to steal from ourselves'." But the actor says the two films differ sharply in emphasis. "If Gladiator was in total a metaphor about death, then this is about rebirth," he says. "Every character in this film that you care about comes to a better place through the course of the narrative."
    Despite his new-found fitness, the 45 year-old actor admits the process can be tough. "Mainly it's like, `do you have the stamina to get through it?"' he says. "Because it's physically demanding." It's also been an enormous undertaking. Tonight's epic battle between the French and the English involves 400 extras, dozens of horses and almost 500 crew members. Perhaps it's no wonder director Scott, in hooded windcheater, is looking crumpled. "This is the small bit, by the way," he says in his soft burr. "It's massive what we've been doing."
    They've just finished a fortnight's filming at a beach in Pembrokeshire, Wales, where Scott staged a massive sea-borne invasion of England. "It's like an action replay of the William the Conqueror landing in 1066," says Scott. There are one or two minor differences. This "replay", for example, is set in 1198.
    Crowe appears relaxed and amiable tonight, and he has every reason to be in a good mood. After more drafts than the Middle East roadmap for peace, two abandoned attempts to start production, and an endless stream of "bad boy Crowe" news stories, the film previously known as Nottingham is just two weeks from wrapping and $US7 million (A$8.3 million) under budget. It bodes well - and at this stage in his career, Crowe badly needs Robin Hood to turn into a bona fide blockbuster. The New Zealand-born actor rode into Hollywood in the mid 1990s on a wave of buzz created by his mesmerising roles in Aussie films Romper Stomper and The Sum of Us, and quickly worked his way up the ranks with critically acclaimed performances in quality films like LA Confidential and The Insider. But it was the massive international hit that was Gladiator in 2000 that catapulted him to the top of the A List. The following year's A Beautiful Mind earned him a third Oscar nomination - but it seemed fame had gone to his head, and stories about his wild temper and brawling began to appear frequently in the headlines.
    Master and Commander (2003) and Cinderella Man (2005) pulled some decent crowds but failed to turn a profit. But the attention was more on his behaviour - reaching a crescendo in 2005 after his infamous phone hurling antics and related assault charge, which did incredible damage to an already battered public image. He's never quite lived the incident down - and before the set visit I was jokingly warned by at least a dozen people to be on guard if I saw Crowe anywhere near the vicinity of a phone.
    Questions started to be asked about Crowe's real value. His $20 million price tag, combined with some lacklustre box office performances saw him named at the top of Forbes' Most Overpaid Celebrities list in 2007. And when it comes to toasting victory on the big awards nights, it's also been a while between drinks. Crowe was nominated for Oscars in 2000, 2001 when he won, and again in 2002. His last Golden Globe win was 2002 for A Beautiful Mind, although he was nominated in 2004 and 2006.
    In the past few years he's teamed up four times with Scott (not including Robin Hood). Their 2006 effort A Good Year was a flop. In 2007, American Gangster became a worldwide hit, but the good work was almost immediately undone by Body Of Lies in 2008. It was a quality film with a complicated take on the war on terror that performed disappointingly, especially in the US. State of Play in 2009 didn't earn enough to justify Crowe's price-tag, and his overweight and dishevelled appearance in those last two films began to tarnish his image as a leading man.
    Maybe that's why he and Scott are taking aim at a Gladiator-style blockbuster - it's a proven formula that has the potential to put them both back at the very top. Throw in Cate Blanchett as Lady (no longer Maid) Marion and there's no shortage of star power - and star power with a strong record on historical drama - on screen.
    Crowe is not just earning $20 million for playing Robin Hood, he's also got a deal to take home 20 per cent of the profits. But on the set tonight he might as well be a brickie on an Aussie building site, laughing and joking with the cast as various crew members alternate between handing him lit cigarettes and taking them back just before shooting commences. Despite his apparent good humour, during our interview there are also occasional flashes of annoyance whenever he suspects a question might have a hidden agenda. One journalist who's interviewed Crowe in the past neatly encapsulated this friendly/prickly demeanour by saying his demeanour was that of "a barracuda smiling at you".
    Crowe says he has fond memories of watching the British Robin Hood TV series starring Richard Greene on weekends when he was a kid, before heading off to football practice. "I've just always liked that idea - the same way most people have - that there's somebody out there who cares," he says. "I liked that aspect of Robin Hood." But he argues none of the various film or TV incarnations have got to the heart of the legend. "I don't think there is a satisfying Robin Hood and that's one of the key reasons for wanting to make another one," he says. "If there had been a truly great Robin Hood - one that had really nailed it down"
    So you're trying to make the definitive Robin Hood? Crowe ignores the question for a moment, then fixes me with a suspicious glance. "We're not trying to make the definitive anything, mate," he says in a decidedly un-matey tone. "This is a different take and possibly a more detailed understanding of the time period." It seems like a weird question to take the wrong way - but Crowe has some pretty good reasons for his suspicious, if self-defeating, attitude. In the lead up to the interview there has been a steady stream of narky and gossipy stories about him in the British press - some of which contain a grain of truth while others appear to have been made up.
    There's the story that Crowe had requested daily helicopter flights to and from the set but Scott refused. That he hadn't been a gentleman when the local pub owner had called "time gentlemen", and had been banned. Interestingly, at a certain point in the production someone must have hired a much better publicist because a raft of more positive stories appeared - mostly along the lines of Crowe becoming a "real life Robin Hood" - donating $10,000 to a crew member whose car had broken down, and a couple of thousand to a local charity shop.
    There does seem to be a solid foundation to the widely reported story that Sienna Miller was dropped as Lady Marion because she was too young and comely to be entirely credible opposite the much older and considerably more weather-beaten Crowe. Scott makes little attempt to dispel this as a rumour. "I think we kind of ended up more appropriately," he says. "Russell will kill me for saying this, but (Miller's) so much younger."
    The way Scott speaks about Lady Marion it sounds like the character will be a good fit with the strong female roles that feature in his other films - think of Sigourney Weaver in Alien (1979), Geena Davis and Susan Sarandon in Thelma and Louise (1991) and Alison Lohman in Matchstick Men (2003). "(Blanchett) is the equivalent of Russell in terms of strength on screen," the director says. "And I'm very happy about that because frequently Marion has always been diddling along as a lady in distress. We've given her a very strong character. She's a tough guy. As lovely as Sienna Miller is, it seems doubtful she would have been able to summon up as much strength in the part."
    Despite Crowe and Scott's long creative partnership, Robin Hood has also been dogged by rumours the pair are at loggerheads. Talking to each of them individually, however, there's a sense that it's this very creative tension that produces results. Scott says he likes the fact he doesn't have to tiptoe around Crowe's feelings. "It's easier if you've waltzed before. You've got the arguments out of the way and fundamentally it's down to you being able to say: `What? I hate that!"' he says. "And him saying: `Well, why are we doing that?' So you get straight to it."
    Crowe puts it even more bluntly. "We don't agree on anything," he says. "But we talk through it." But he also speaks admiringly of the director's strength and leadership. Crowe tells the story of how Scott saw a seven-tonne barge drift into shot during the filming of the invasion sequence. The 71-year-old plunged into the sea to push it out of the way. "He looks back at the stunt men all wide-eyed on the beach and says: `Well come on then!' says Crowe. "You're either a leader like that or you're not - and it's just easy to follow someone who is so strong and purposeful."
    Untitled Robin Hood Adventure (as the studio insists we call it) began life as a screenplay called Nottingham that reversed the famed legend by making the Sheriff the good guy. It sparked a bidding war and eventually sold to Universal for a seven-figure sum. Crowe says producer Bryan Grazer offered him the role as a thank-you for coming on board American Gangster. "American Gangster, until the time we'd got into production, had been a little bit of an embarrassment for Bryan - it was $40 million in the hole and it wasn't looking too good, and when I came on board they could actually get the project up. So he was very thankful I'd helped him out and rang me up and said: `well what do you think about doing the story of Robin Hood?"' Crowe said he'd only do the movie if Scott was hired to direct: "Within 48 hours it was a done deal," he says.
    Of course, the ironic thing about the Nottingham screenplay is that neither Crowe nor Scott actually liked the idea. "Some stories you can take and flip over but I just can't see the point of doing that with Robin Hood," says Crowe. "I wasn't interested in doing a story where the main character was a well-meaning public servant. Without being rude, that script was CSI Sherwood Forest. I mean the sheriff was wandering around examining the trajectory of an arrow, shit like that." But he did like the idea of finally doing justice to the legend. "I said: `I'm really into making a Robin Hood, but I don't want to make it from this perspective'," he says. The current version of the script - probably about number 713 if the rumours are true - exists only because the production was postponed weeks away from filming on two separate occasions. The screenwriters strike, and then threatened actors strike, were both major factors, but there were constant concerns about the script.
    Scott admits it's always a battle to get a script in shape. "The hardest single thing to do is to actually write the screenplay," he says. "Once I've got the screenplay, making movies is easy for me."
    Crowe argues, preemptively and without being asked, that Robin Hood took no longer to develop than any other film - it's just that it was done in public. Whenever the various writers completed a draft, they'd tell people their ideas. "Every time I saw one of those articles I was like: `Oh, boys - you're in for a little bit of disappointment'," he says with a grin.
    So contrary to what you may have heard, Robin Hood will not be assuming the Sheriff's identity after seeing him killed in battle, and Crowe will most certainly not be playing both Robin Hood and the Sheriff simultaneously. Instead they've gone with a gritty, historically appropriate origins tale. Executive producer Charles Schlissel outlines the story as we stand at the back of the enormous French castle, which is actually just a plaster faade supported by scaffolding.
    "Past versions of Robin Hood start where this ends," he says. "This is an origins story. It's set in a desperately poor time in English history when most of the population have a subsistence existence and many of the men were left crippled from the constant wars. King John attempts to fix it by introducing taxation. When Robin arrives back in Nottingham after fighting in the crusades for 10 years he sees what England has become. He wants to fight for men's rights, taking the rights away from the monarchy and nobles and developing what becomes the Magna Carta."
    Despite this new focus on human rights, there's no need to worry - the evil Sheriff of Nottingham will still be corrupt, Robin Hood will still have a band of merry men and he'll still fall for Lady Marion. "It's the same Robin Hood myth but in a historical context with more political scope and grandeur," Schlissel says.
    By all accounts, the story and script changes have continued right up to, and throughout the production. Playwright Tom Stoppard was brought in at a late stage to polish up what one crew member calls "clunky" dialogue. "It's much better now," he says.
    If Crowe has a bone of contention with Scott, it's over these constant changes. "The rules with Ridley are don't fall in love with anything because it might just change. Just in the last five or six days we've probably had 20 or 30 ideas that have been floating around and at the last moment when they're needed, they're whipped into a scene. The thing that may be a little bit stressful for me is that I have to keep all of the satellite things I need to know for the character floating. Ridley has got about a million and a half decisions he needs to make but he's not going to make the decisions today that he doesn't need to make today. You can discuss certain things, you can get a certain shape but you're not going to get a definitive answer until you're in the middle of doing that thing."
    Both Scott and Crowe have their preferred analogies to describe the process of making a movie together. "Little by little you get midstream, up to your neck and then you're trying to swim to the other side," says Scott. For his part, Crowe likens making movies with the director to climbing Mt Everest: "Because you're beginning the movie - as is the tradition of movies I do with Ridley Scott - without a completed script," he says. "You don't really know where you're going to go."
    And that's pretty much where I leave Untitled Robin Hood Adventure. Crowe was on the downhill slope of the mountain and Scott somewhere in the middle of a river reaching out for the other bank. With only a fortnight left of filming no one seemed entirely sure how it would all pan out.
    But the mood was upbeat. "You realise this will all change by the time we cut the movie," laughs executive producer Schlissel. "It's going to be a musical I think!"

AdelaideNow... Rusty rides again

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information