Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sex and the City 2

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I thought that part was filmed in Abu Dhabi, not Dubai? Either way, apparently they have great fun mocking the locals. I hate what this show has become. It was fun when on telly, good light entertainment but now it's just a joke.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

No dirt. She had to finish her own event and run home to change. She was too tired to go.

No way will I pay money to see this in the theaters. The first movie ruined the series' legacy enough. I'd rather spend 2 1/2 hours watching episodes from the 1st or 2nd season.

By the way, S&TC2 currently has a 9% fresh rating on RottenTomatoes.com, but only 29 reviews are in so far. Apparently, it wasn't screened for critics. I wonder why...
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

Quote Originally Posted by Little Wombat View Post
    Apparently, it wasn't screened for critics. I wonder why...

A friend saw it yesterday, he wasn't thrilled and liked the first one. After the first 45 mins it goes downhill.
    "the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone"

SVZ

What more IS there to the story?

Carrie has Big - So they friggin' bring back the furniture guy, Jessica...Sarah? I forget his name.

Red head has Steve, whatever.

Charlotte has babies. Great.

Samantha is still herself. Awesome. Oh wait, but now she finds an older man she wants to settle down with, but will she sleep with the hot young model that lays concrete?!!?!? OMG DRAMAAAAA

you are all haterz pffffffffft.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I saw a 5 minute clip and i wanted to claw my eyes out at the banality of it.

I don't even watch the show and it seemed fucking stupid.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Carrie has Big - So they friggin' bring back the furniture guy, Jessica...Sarah? I forget his name.
    Aidan.

Saw an interview with him on TV last night - man, he looks like he's had some "adjustments" made to his looks, if ya know what I mean.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

SVZ

^^^ re: the pic ...i dunno if he has had work done. He just looks older.
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Sex and the City 2 :: rogerebert.com :: Reviews

Sex, about the same. City, Abu Dhabi.

Release Date: 2010
    Ebert Rating: *
    By Roger Ebert May 25, 2010
    </B>

Some of these people make my skin crawl. The characters of "Sex and the City 2" are flyweight bubbleheads living in a world which rarely requires three sentences in a row. Their defining quality is consuming things. They gobble food, fashion, houses, husbands, children, vitamins and freebies. They must plan their wardrobes on the phone, so often do they appear in different basic colors, like the plugs you pound into a Playskool workbench. As we return to the trivialities of their lives for a sequel, marriage is the issue. The institution is affirmed in an opening sequence at a gay wedding in Connecticut that looks like a Fred Astaire production number gone horribly over budget. There's a 16-man chorus in white formal wear, a pond with swans, and Liza Minnelli to perform the ceremony. Her religious or legal qualifications are unexplained; perhaps she is present merely as the patron saint of gay men. After the ceremony, she changes to a Vegas lounge outfit and is joined by two lookalike backups for a song and dance routine possibly frowned upon in some denominations.

Then it's back to the humdrum married life of our gal Carrie Bradshaw (Sarah Jessica Parker) and the loathsome Mr. Big (Chris Noth). Carrie, honey, how can you endure life with this purring, narcissistic, soft-velvet idiot? He speaks loudly enough to be heard mostly by himself, his most appreciative audience. And he never wants to leave the house at night, preferring to watch classic black-and-white movies on TV. This leads to a marital crisis. Carrie thinks they should talk more. But sweetheart, Mr. Big has nothing to say. At least he's provided you with a Manhattan apartment that looks like an Architectural Digest wet dream.

Brief updates. Miranda Hobbes (Cynthia Nixon) is a high-powered lawyer who is dissed by her male chauvinist pig boss. Samantha Jones (Kim Cattrall) is still a sexaholic slut. Charlotte York (Kristin Davis) has the two little girls she thought she wanted, but now discovers that they actually expect to be raised. Mothers, if you are reading, run this through your head. One little girl dips her hands in strawberry topping and plants two big handprints on your butt. You are on the cell to a girlfriend. How do you report this? You moan and wail out: "My vintage Valentino!" Any mother who wears her vintage Valentino while making muffin topping with her kids should be hauled up before the Department of Children and Family Services.

All of this is pretty thin gruel. The movie shows enterprise, and flies the entire cast away to the emirate of Abu Dhabi, where the girls are given a $22,000-a-night suite and matching Maybachs and butlers, courtesy of a sheik who wants to have a meeting with Samantha and talk about publicity for his hotel.

This sequence is an exercise in obscenely conspicuous consumption, in which the girls appear in so many different outfits they must have been followed to the Middle East by a luggage plane. I don't know a whole lot about fashion, but I know something about taste, and these women spend much of the movie dressed in tacky, vulgar clothing. Carrie and Samantha also display the maximum possible boobage, oblivious to Arab ideas about women's modesty. There's more cleavage in this film than at a pro wrestler's wedding.

And crotches, have we got crotches for you. Big close-ups of the girls themselves, and some of the bulgers they meet. And they meet some. They meet the Australian world cup team, for example, which seems to have left its cups at home. And then there's the intriguing stranger Samantha meets at the hotel, whose zipper-straining arousal evokes the fury of an offended Arab guest and his wife. This prodigy's name is Rikard Spirt. Think about it.

Samantha is arrested for kissing on the beach, and there's an uncomfortable scene in which the girls are menaced by outraged men in a public market, where all they've done is dress in a way more appropriate for a sales reception at Victoria's Secret. They're rescued by Arab women so well covered only their eyes are visible, and in private these women reveal that underneath the burkas they're wearing Dior gowns and so forth. Must get hot.

I wondered briefly whether Abu Dhabi had underwritten all this product placement, but I learn the "SATC2" was filmed in Morocco, which must be Morocco's little joke. That nation supplies magnificent desert scenes, achieved with CGI, I assume, during which two of the girls fall off a camel. I haven't seen such hilarity since "Abbott and Costello in the Foreign Legion."

The movie's visual style is arthritic. Director Michael Patrick King covers the sitcom dialogue by dutifully cutting back and forth to whoever is speaking. A sample of Carrie's realistic dialogue in a marital argument: "You knew when I married you I was more Coco Chanel than coq au vin." Carrie also narrates the film, providing useful guidelines for those challenged by its intricacies. Sample: "Later that day, Big and I arrived home."

Truth in reviewing: I am obliged to report that this film will no doubt be deliriously enjoyed by its fans, for the reasons described above. Male couch potatoes dragged to the film against their will may find some consolation. Reader, I must confess that while attending the sneak preview with its overwhelmingly female audience, I was gob-smacked by the delightful cleavage on display. Do women wear their lowest-cut frocks for each other?

Note: From my understanding of the guidelines of the MPAA Code and Ratings Administration, Samantha and Mr. Spirt have one scene that far, far surpasses the traditional MPAA limits for pumping and thrusting.

ugh i really do hate Roger Eberts reviews. I need a SATC lover to review the movie.
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Bronze Member

I was at the premiere on Monday. I had never seen a full episode of the show, nor the first movie. Maybe I was grouchy because I'd had a long day and it started over an hour later than scheduled, but I thought it was kind of, well, crap. Cheesy, boring, predictable, and kind of offensive...and I'm totally up for non-pc jokes... yeah, guess SATC really just isn't my thing.

I heard it was incredibly offensive and portrayed the worst of stereotypes, absolute garbage. Just reading the review above reaffirmed what I had already been told and made my eyes just about roll back into my head. I guess the director was just trying to make a political statement. Looks like I will be missing this one.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by Little Wombat View Post
    No way will I pay money to see this in the theaters. The first movie ruined the series' legacy enough. I'd rather spend 2 1/2 hours watching episodes from the 1st or 2nd season.
    I completely agree. Why did they have to make another one when the first one was crap. I love sex and the city series and have watched them so many times that I even remember all the lines in them. But the movie was absolute shit. I'm definitely boycotting this one. Sure, I may rent it when it comes to film out of curiosity but I'm definitely not going to go support it and watch it at the movies.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information