Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Serial Podcast

^He is doing Adnan a favor with all the lies.
    I have changed my mind so many times, I don't know anything anymore LOL.
    KrisNine likes this.

fgg

the first two parts of the interview are here:

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2...ial-case-pt-1/

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2...ve-jay-part-2/

jay basically tells a whole new story from the other three he told 15 years ago. people pick his interview apart in the comments so they are worth a read as well.

i'm not sure that adnan is innocent but i do think he shouldn't have been convicted because they didn't prove it beyond a reasonable doubt, imo. will be very interesting to see the outcome of the DNA testing.
    KrisNine likes this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

My problem is the evidence. There really isn't much and what there is seems to be flimsy and mostly circumstantial. It's very possible Adnan committed this crime, but he's in jail based on a story told by a liar who can't keep his story straight. I get that he's saying he didn't want his grandmother or her house involved, but you can't lie about a huge piece of your fucking story. A story that locked up a 17 year old kid for more than half his life.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Yeah, it's pretty damn mind boggling.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Exclusive: Prosecutor in ‘Serial’ Case Goes on the Record

It was “pretty much a run-of-the-mill domestic violence murder,” prosecutor Kevin Urick said in an exclusive interview with The Intercept.

By this, he means, Adnan Syed murdered Hae Min Lee in 1999. Reddit may have its doubts. Sarah Koenig, creator of the wildly popular “Serial” podcast, may have her doubts. Those who

rightly question the fairness of the notoriously biased American justice system may have their doubts.

But Urick, who prosecuted the case in 2000, remains certain that Adnan Syed is a murderer—and 15 years later, no new facts have emerged to change this conclusion.

Interview at Exclusive: Prosecutor in ‘Serial’ Case Goes on the Record

fgg

of course he stands by it...otherwise, he would be admitting to a massive fuck up that put this guy behind bars for 15 years for nothing.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Does anyone know when the testing was done or will be done?
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

^^I'm not sure. I wasn't able to find anything about it when I looked.

I'm not a legal expert, but I know we have some attorney's here. If the state's main eye witness LIED under oath, isn't that grounds for a retrial? This guy, Jay, lied about so many things, the main thing being where he saw Hae in the trunk of the car. So much relied on placing Adnan at Best Buy at a certain time, using the phone, showing Jay the body, etc. Again, not saying Adnan is innocent, but this is pretty shady.

Actually, I started out kind of wanting to believe Adnan was guilty. But I've gone pretty much to the other side. I have to read more, though.
    KrisNine likes this.

{TB EXCLUSIVE} The Fight For “Serial” – Who’s Circling Hollywood’s Hot New Property

Over the past few months, SERIAL became the thing everyone was talking about. The show’s addictive mystery and easily digestible format allowed listeners to quickly become immersed into the story. Hosted by Sarah Koenig, the podcast delves into the case of Adnan Syed, who was convicted of the murder of ex-girlfriend Hae Min Lee in Baltimore, 1999. Because of the podcast’s wild success, naturally everyone in Hollywood is itching to adapt the story.

Initially, Koenig and This American Life founder Ira Glass had said that the rights to the show would not be discussed until the show had concluded. Now that season one has commenced, the mad scramble begins, with everyone after the rights. At first, I received wind that Tristar TV was after the property and that several interested parties were pushing it as a feature. However, I’m now hearing that Ryan Murphy is close to developing the property as a limited series for HBO.

Murphy has recently risen as a frontrunner in the current mini-series phenomenon, being the man behind both American Horror Story and the new American Crime Story. This adaptation would match with both Murphy and HBO’s sensibilities, as it’s uniquely similar to both American Crime Story and True Detective. HBO typically nabs high-profile true stories for its successful mini-series, so Serial’s popularity and format should prove a perfect fit for the network.

Warner Bros. has also been actively seeking the property, with intentions to adapt for a feature. The studio used to have a first-look deal with This American Life, which Serial is a spin-off of. That deal was in place in 2002 and lasted for two years. The film Unaccompanied Minors was produced under this deal. Whichever way it ends up, any Serial adaptation would do well to preserve the show’s episodic format, which would likely serve the story better than a feature version.

Several This American Life properties have been adapted already, with Mike Birbiglia’s Sleepwalk With Me being one of the films produced. This American Life was also once a television series, which ran for two seasons on Showtime in 2007.

Serial’s popularity has led to both positive and negative reactions due to the controversial nature of the show, which creates both a case for and against Adnan Syed. The Maryland Court of Special Appeals will decide presently whether or not Syed will be given permission to move forward with his bid to overturn his murder conviction. The Innocence Project has proclaimed that they will petition to test for DNA on other items found at the crime scene, regardless of the ruling, which is currently undecided. The second season of Serial will focus on an entirely different case.

Next time, on Serial.

{TB EXCLUSIVE} The Fight For “Serial” – Who’s Circling Hollywood’s Hot New Property | The Tracking Board

Adnan gets his appeal!

Court Will Allow 'Serial' Subject to Appeal Conviction | NBC4 Washington

The subject of the popular podcast "Serial'' will be allowed to appeal his murder conviction, a Maryland court has ruled, a development that gives the man his best chance at a new trial or a change to his life sentence.
    Adnan Syed, 34, was convicted in 2000 of strangling his ex-girlfriend, Hae Min Lee, the year prior, when both were high school students in suburban Baltimore. "Serial'' examined the case in detail and raised questions about Syed's guilt and whether he received a fair trial.
    Syed argues that the attorney who represented him ignored his requests to negotiate a plea deal. He also claims she failed to interview a witness who could have provided him with an alibi.
    Prosecutors have argued that Syed was never offered a plea deal and that there was no evidence beyond his own post-conviction testimony that attorney Cristina Gutierrez failed him. Gutierrez was disbarred in 2001 and died in 2004.
    On Friday, Maryland's second-highest court, the Court of Special Appeals, granted Syed's application for leave of appeal. That means both sides will file briefs, and the court will hear oral arguments in June.
    Syed's attorney, Justin Brown, said it's historically difficult to persuade the court to hear such cases.
    "If they had said no, that would have been it,'' Brown said Saturday. "There would have been this incredible finality to it. But now the door's open.''
    Prosecutors argued that Syed became inconsolably jealous after Lee began dating someone else. There were no eyewitnesses to her slaying, but a former classmate testified that he helped Syed dispose of Lee's body, which was found in a shallow grave in a Baltimore park a month after she was killed.
    Syed is serving his life sentence at a prison in western Maryland

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    OK, has anyone read this article with Jay?

Interview with 'Serial' witness Jay Wilds stirs debate - CNN.com

I think this guy is a total liar.

Spoiler....

He now says that Hae was dead in the trunk of Adnan's car when Adnan showed up at his (Jay's) grandmothers house??? Interesting, because according to Jay, Hae was dead in the trunk at Best Buy, not the grandmothers house. Seems you would remember where you first saw a dead girl in the trunk of your so-called friends car.
    He did lie but I kind of believe why he lied. He's a drug dealing black kid who admits he does not trust the police at all. At some point I think he is trying to tell them what they want to hear while also protecting himself, his friends and I guess now, his grandmother.

There was one point in the Series where he is quoted as telling Jen (I think), something like, we have to stop lying to protect each other.

And remember that detective Sarah hired, who said, yeah all witnesses have inconsistencies but look what this guy got right. He knew where the car was, for example.

I'm not sure we still have the whole truth from him but I don't dismiss him.
    Beeyotch likes this.

^^The thing with Jay is that a lie is a lie, especially in the court of law. If your lie exonerates you and convicts someone else, then that's a big problem. Even if Jay lied to protect his whole family, he lied. Jay's story was almost the smoking gun in the case and if any of his story got Adnan convicted, then Adnan deserves a new trial. Whether he did it or not.

I think that there's a huge possibility that if Adnan killed Hae, then Jay had a lot more to do with it than he claims.

season two started yesterday: https://serialpodcast.org/

About Season Two
    In May 2014, a U.S. Special Operations team in a Black Hawk helicopter landed in the hills of Afghanistan. Waiting for them were more than a dozen Taliban fighters and a tall American, who looked pale and out of sorts: Bowe Bergdahl. Bergdahl, a U.S. soldier, had been a prisoner of the Taliban for nearly five years, and now he was going home.

President Obama announced Bergdahl’s return in the Rose Garden, with the soldier's parents at his side. Bergdahl's hometown of Hailey, Idaho, planned a big celebration to welcome him back. But then, within days—within hours of his rescue, in fact—public reaction to his return flipped. People started saying Bergdahl shouldn’t be celebrated. Some of the soldiers from his unit called him a deserter, a traitor. They said he had deliberately walked off their small outpost in eastern Afghanistan and into hostile territory.

Hailey canceled its celebration. The army launched an investigation. Finally, in March, the military charged Bergdahl with two crimes, one of which carries the possibility of a life sentence. Through all of this, Bergdahl has been quiet. He hasn’t spoken to the press or done any interviews on TV. He’s been like a ghost at the center of a raucous fight.

Now, in Season Two, we get to hear what he has to say.

For this season, Sarah Koenig teams up with filmmaker Mark Boal and Page 1 to find out why one idiosyncratic guy decided to walk away, into Afghanistan, and how the consequences of that decision have spun out wider and wider. It’s a story that has played out in unexpected ways from the start. And it’s a story that’s still going on.
    https://serialpodcast.org/

Thanks for posting the summary Palta. I had heard this season was supposed to be about this situation, but wasn't familiar with what happened (and admittedly was too lazy to look it up myself). I have it loaded on my phone for my commute this weekend, so I'm hoping it's as addicting as last season was.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information