Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Roots (Remake on the History Channel)

Quote Originally Posted by JazzyGirl View Post
    Well hmmm.... So Snoop did make a point if saying "let's create our own". Others in Hollywood in Hollywood are saying the same thing.. Go for it!

On a side note...grammar people. Grammar.
    Oh I get what he's saying about the showing how far things have some, etc. But the "we taking the same abuse". Nuh uh. (And yes....grammar, please! LOL)
    twitchy2.0 likes this.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    What's wrong with the original?
    It had Oprah in it?

No, wait. I'm thinking of The Color Purple. She did some reunion show with the Roots cast a while back and that threw me off.

Okay then, there IS no reason!
    BITTER likes this.
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

[QUOTE=Bluebonnet;3468496]Oh I get what he's saying about the showing how far things have some, etc. But the "we taking the same abuse". Nuh uh. (And yes....grammar, please! LOL)]

yes agree! And I am rather interested in seeing this.

OCD

I read Roots in the 8th grade (early 90's), and then watched the program when it was on TV at some point. I wasn't too excited about the remake, but I did watch one hour of it last night. It made me sick. I decided not to watch any more of it. The older I get the more sensitive I am to bad shit. I just don't want to see any more of it.

I think there is merit in remaking it. More young people who missed the first series will watch it just because it's new and it does provide a real visceral depiction of slavery. At least as good as we can get from a TV show.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

I agree with Snoop. It's not exactly the same abuse, but there's still abuse, and still massive issues. The studios seem interested in making things themed around the issues of black history in America when it makes for a good drama, but not much beyond that. I feel like Roots was Roots, and if there's to be a show that's about the issues of being black in America, then there's a whole lot that could be talked about beyond slavery, a whole lot that's happening now.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

Well, I'm sure that this reason is as good as any to remake a classic.

Malachi Kirby as Kunta Kinte and Emayatzy Corinealdi as Belle in "Roots," premiering Monday night.Photo: Steve Dietl/HISTORY

British-born actor Malachi Kirby is largely unknown in the US.

That’s about to change.

Kirby, 26, stars as Kunta Kinte in “Roots,” a four-part reboot of the landmark ABC miniseries premiering Monday night on History. Like its predecessor, “Roots” is based onAlex Haley’s sprawling novelchronicling his ancestor Kunta Kinte’s journey from West African warrior to being sold into slavery in 1760s Virginia. Kirby’s co-stars include Forest Whitaker, Anna Paquin, Laurence Fishburne, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Anika Noni Rose and Mekhi Phifer.

The soft-spoken Kirby, who’s appeared on the British TV series “EastEnders” and “Doctor Who,” spoke to The Post about the role of Kunta Kinte — what it means to him and how it inspired his own investigation into his family’s history.

LeVar Burton, who originated the role of Kunta Kinte in the ABC miniseries, told me you were chosen after an “exhaustive” search.

When the audition came around for me, I was scared, to be honest. The weight of responsibility in telling such a story, let alone trying to recreate LeVar’s performance — which for me, could never be touched — were shoes I felt were far too big for me to fill. I went to the first audition and it was the worst audition I ever had — everything went wrong. I got there a half hour late — and I’m never late — and the actual lines I learned went completely out the window, like I was illiterate. My accent [as Kunta Kinte] was all over the place and I apologized several times to the casting director for the shambles of my “performance.” Five long months went past … and my agent called me and said, “You must have done something good because they want to see you again.” I was like, “What? Are they desperate?” I still had a lot of doubts about the project — why it needed to be done again, how it was different from the original. The idea of a remake scared me based on every other remake I’ve seen.

[IMG]https://thenypost.files.word press.com/2016/05/tv_roots_burton_kirb y_duo1a.jpg?quality= 90&strip=all&w=835[/IMG]

What changed your attitude in that regard?

I sat down with the producer, Mark Wolper. His dad, David, produced the first “Roots,” and I asked him, “Why are you making this again?” He told me he knows it needs to be done because his then-16-year-old son watched the original “Roots” and his words were: “I get why this is important to you Dad, but it’s like your music — it doesn’t speak to me.” At that point Mark realized that possibly a whole generation of kids his son’s age have the same response. And they wouldn’t watch the old “Roots” for the same reasons: There are no actors they recognize, the picture quality seems outdated … he also told me that it’s not a remake, but a “retelling” of the story with a lot more historical facts.

Reading the script made me realize that the story is not about slavery, necessarily, but about family and the strength of the human spirit and Kunta Kinte’s resilience. He never actually becomes a slave, for me — he remains a Mandinka warrior and … is able to pass that down to his children. There are so many people today who don’t have that integrity, who don’t know who they are or where they came from. I took a DNA test a few days ago and it was really eye-opening.

Tell me about your DNA test.

I was born in London as a second-generation Jamaican and I always believed … that I would have ancestry from West Africa. There was something that drew me to that area, but I had nothing to back that. The DNA testing people sent me a bottle, I spat in it and they told me where I come from: I’m 75 percent West African, which didn’t surprise me and gives me confidence now. I also found out that I’m 21 percent Asian, which was interesting, and I’m 1.8 percent European. I hope to do more research to find out specifically where in West Africa I came from.

Did you watch the original “Roots” miniseries?

I was definitely familiar with the original story. My mom came to me about three years ago and gave me the [“Roots”] DVD and I basically watched the whole series that same day, straight through. It had a profound impact on me. I think, at the time, it was the first visual production I’d seen depicting that form of slavery. This was way before “12 Years a Slave”; I knew about slavery but had never watched anything depicting that.

I made a conscious decision not to watch the original [“Roots”] again before doing this series, but to come to the story the way [LeVar Burton] did — with his own understanding, intuition and artistry.

Did you learn about the slave trade in America in school?

No. Any kind of history that reflected anyone that looks like me I pretty much had to find out for myself. We studied English kings and queens, and may have touched on the Nazis and Jews — that particular time — but as far as history about African people, that was never mentioned.

http://nypost.com/2016/05/26/roots-stars-dna-revelation/
    Bluebonnet likes this.

I saw LaVar's interview on The Talk yesterday. It was pretty interesting. I haven't seen the original since high school in the mid 90's. I didn't watch the remake either. Maybe some day.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

I just finished watching the new version. I thought it was excellent. The acting was wonderful. Forrest Whitaker broke my heart as Fiddler.And Regé-Jean Page who played Chicken George stole his scenes.Jonathan Rhys Meyers was really good too. Glad to see him looking better. There's a lot added to the story, some good, some not so good. But overall it was really great and I hope it's not overlooked. The final scene had me, a middle age white women from Canada, bawling. I hope you will watch it.
    BITTER, Bluebonnet and panic like this.

SPOILER:

Yeah, Forrest Whitaker was so touching as Fiddler trying to protect Kunta Kinte. When they broke Kunta's spirit, they took a piece of Fiddler too. I think in a way Kunta's obsession for going home kept him from going insane those first few years.

I was disappointed not to see Kunta again after his daughter was sold off to another plantation. When they showed him again at the end, back home and smiling, I cried.
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    "The wild, cruel beast is not behind the bars of the cage. He is in front of it."...Axel Munthe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information