Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: The Real Housewives of New York City Season 2

I went to FIT.

The Fashion B&M majors were always known as the dumb pretty girls who lived to shop. They only associated with each other because no one else could stand them or frankly respect them because they were considered the joke of the school.

I know FIT has changed a lot over the years, and it may be easier to get into these days but they are selective when it comes to the creative majors (not Fashion B&M) and you have to go through another review after you completed the the first two years (the associate program) to get into the bachelor's program.

It was not uncommon to lose an entire section of students (20-25)after the first few weeks of the 1st semester when I went there.

We had several Korean girls in our graduating years and they worked their asses off coming to each class with recorders and korean/english dictionaries and often put the american's to shame.

Quote Originally Posted by soogar View Post
    Not really. Anyone can get into FIT and get a fashion merchandising degree. There is no selectivity to get into FIT; you just pay the tuition and you are in.

I know a Chinese immigrant who barely spoke English who went to FIT to get a degree and is now working as a buyer. I was surprised she could even deal with the English curriculum because her language skills were so bad, but she told me that there were lots of Chinese girls studying at FIT. It seems there is a lot of demand for Chinese speaking buyers to deal with Chinese factories- both here and abroad.
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

Everyone that graduates FIT gets peanuts for a salary- it's an industry issue not a school issue. At least FIT has improved with getting better internship programs for all the creatives.

When I graduated FIT jobs in my field (if you could find a job) started at 18k in NYC - and you were at best the coffee/errand person but you had to start somewhere.

I have never not been called back for an interview for every resume I've put out since 1994 and have always been offered the job whether I took it or not. I contribute it to a great resume that's not hot air and the fact that I graduated with a 2 and 4 year degree from FIT. My first design job I was told straight out that that was why I got the job over everyone else.

I didn't go to FIT for Fashion I went for Interior Design and I will say this, when I get a resume from a 20 something or 40+ something from a generic college with a "design" program I'm usually guilty of rolling my eyes.

Good or bad - it is what it is.

There are Parson's snobs and RISD snobs out there who turn their nose up at FIT as well so that puts life into perspective too.

Ah well, now every wife, sister and gay brother calls themselves a "decorator" or "designer" so I don't know how worthy any degree is anymore for Fashion or Interiors.

I know a lot of folks who went to FIT/Parsons who are struggling to get work and when they do get work they get paid peanuts, and they compete with a load of other people to get those peanuts. I also know people who work in the buying side as well for those Chinatown operations- they make good money but let's call it what it is- a sweatshop.

As for all of the designers going to FIT/Parsons- it's not as if there are loads of fashion schools to attend to learn how to sew and tailor. I consider FIT/Parsons to be akin to a trade school. Actually, they are trade schools because people go there to learn a profession. Doesn't mean it is prestigious. That's like a mechanic bragging that he went to Apex Tech.

I don't look down on FIT/Parsons. Lots of talented people go there. However Ramona trying to show up Kelly, who has a degree from Columbia (they should try to rescind their degree, girl is doing nothing for the school), with her FIT degree was hilarious.

BTW, I don't want to get into a pi$$ing match over the value of a Parsons/FIT degree. There are a lot of successful people who work in fashion who have those degrees, including Ramona. Just thought it was odd that she was bragging as if she had gone to Harvard, trying to make Kelly feel "small."
    Lao-tzu

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post

Ah well, now every wife, sister and gay brother calls themselves a "decorator" or "designer" so I don't know how worthy any degree is anymore for Fashion or Interiors.

Like Jill's gay husband .

Thanks for the insight.

Jeez.. I just saw the Kelly/Bethenny scuffle. Kelly is a leather-faced cuntbag who acts like she's 14. Dumb hag.

Saw this in the comments at HuffPo about the LuAnn/Count story:

Here"s a bit of interesting info: the Count"s Ethiopian lady just so happens to be none other than Princess Kemeria Abajobir Abajifar, the granddaughter of King Abajobir Abajifar, the last King of Jimma, Ethiopia. Seems the Count traded up! His new play thing is not only much younger, more exotic and lovelier than LuAnn, but happens to be bona fide royalty in her own right.
    "Housewives" Countess LuAnn: Being Dumped Has Been "Really Difficult"

Even if she had been educated in NY and lived in NY,it doesn't mean she is a New Yorker.
    My brother was born and raised in DC but has lived in Manhattan for the past 10 years and he considers himself a New Yorker...

Not really. Anyone can get into FIT and get a fashion merchandising degree. There is no selectivity to get into FIT; you just pay the tuition and you are in.
    I have no real knowledge of fashion schools, but my good friend from HS was offered a scholarship from Parsons and FIT during her junior year. She declined both because as she said, its all the girls who think they know about fashion but just want to shop for a living. She ended up going to Mass. College of Art & Design in Boston and worked for Betsy Johnson right after graduation. She then moved onto Joe Boxer and designed their lingerie line...But now she works for some baby clothing company in L.A. (no idea of the name), but she's even trying to get out of the industry because there is no money in it, unless you're a big name.

Back to the Kellamity, does she really think Max is all that hot? "Everyone wants to date Max, but he wants to date me..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

I felt sort of bad for Ramona during the tennis match. All of hte other housewives were there basically in support of Jill, either as her friend or wearing a "Team Jill" shirt - well, except for Kelly who was wearing an unexplainable white flower over the crotch of her black mini dress.

I actually like Alex. Even though she is a crazy social climber, she does seem genuine with people. Even Simon wasn't bad in this episode. He was sick and still tried to play. As long as he keeps his shirt on I'm okay with him.

Totally random, but I just became an even bigger Bethenny fan than I already was. Tonight, I realized that my grocery store sells her baked goods next to the vegetarian frozen options. On a whim, I bought a pack of her chocolate chip cookies, which are vegan (I'm only a vegetarian).

They are INCREDIBLE. Seriously, these cookies are so good. You'd never know they are good for you, or vegan. They rock. She knows what she's doing.

^That's cool! I'll be on the lookout for them...I really like Bethenny!

You're avatar intrigues me and scares me at the same time btw, very cool!!!
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

I love Bethenny - she kills me.

Simon's surprise and the limo melt down - damn WTF? I'd like to see the lost film on that.

I am so sick of the countess and her book.

Ramona and Jill look better this season than last.

Kelly - good lord - I was so hoping the taxi would run her ass over.

Other than that I can't believe I actually tune into this show.
    Lao-tzu

I was only able to watch half the show....I'll watch the rest tonight.

Thank you Jill for stimulating the economy! Those who can spend money should ya know and I;m a shoe and bag girl too!

Liking Jill but not her dog.

I'm sure I wasn't the only viewer hoping Kelly would get mowed down while running in traffic. And did you see how she held her arms? She's not a runner.

I was literally laughing my ass off when they showed Kelly running IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FUCKING ROAD. who does that? hahahahhaa
    I'm with you. I was hoping she'd get run over by the cab.

Who would buy LuAnn's book? I mean come ON! What qualifications does she have? What makes her think she knows more about class than the rest of the population? She wasn't so bad last season. She had her moments but I didnt mind her so much. But this season she is just down right annoying.

I don't get the whole breakdown Simon had. Once again, I was laughing so hard.

It was a good ep... you're in for major LOLs.

Okay, does anyone know if these housewives really know each other or did they audition for the parts? Just really not understanding Kelly at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ekee View Post
    I was literally laughing my ass off when they showed Kelly running IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FUCKING ROAD. who does that? hahahahhaa
    I'm with you. I was hoping she'd get run over by the cab.
    Yeah, who runs in the street. I think the only reason she didn't get her ass honked at or run over was because of the TV crew with her. What an idiot.

Was anyone else annoyed that this past episode was all about what products they are all selling. Hello, product placement...geesh!

While LuAnn does annoy me, I do feel badly that her husband left her and the kids for someone else. Sounds like a jerk to me. No one should be treated that way.

No seriously, what the hell was up with Kelly running in the street? And the pillow fight at Zarin's cocktail party? She acts like a teenager but her face definitely doesn't...

I love Bethenny more and more each episode!

Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread Information