Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: The Real Housewives of New York City Season 2

czb

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    FIT pretty much is Harvard (or at least the Yale) of the fashion industry. FIT and Central Saint Martins are the most elite schools in the industry.
    there is no question that schools like FIT and parsons are good. i just find it amusing when, out of nowhere, a 40+ person asks another person where they went to college. seems like a conversation for 20 somethings.

and what about the pic of ramon from last week's episode, where she was wearing a bathing suit and coated in canola.

Silver Member

FIT pretty much is Harvard (or at least the Yale) of the fashion industry. FIT and Central Saint Martins are the most elite schools in the industry.
    Not really. Anyone can get into FIT and get a fashion merchandising degree. There is no selectivity to get into FIT; you just pay the tuition and you are in.

I know a Chinese immigrant who barely spoke English who went to FIT to get a degree and is now working as a buyer. I was surprised she could even deal with the English curriculum because her language skills were so bad, but she told me that there were lots of Chinese girls studying at FIT. It seems there is a lot of demand for Chinese speaking buyers to deal with Chinese factories- both here and abroad.

czb

Quote Originally Posted by soogar View Post
    Not really. Anyone can get into FIT and get a fashion merchandising degree. There is no selectivity to get into FIT; you just pay the tuition and you are in.

I know a Chinese immigrant who barely spoke English who went to FIT to get a degree and is now working as a buyer. I was surprised she could even deal with the English curriculum because her language skills were so bad, but she told me that there were lots of Chinese girls studying at FIT. It seems there is a lot of demand for Chinese speaking buyers to deal with Chinese factories- both here and abroad.
    i agree that FIT is not selective but the degree and school have a good reputation. as for non-native speakers getting in, i know several people who spoke really poor english but got into cal berkeley. and i don't think anyone is going to question the quality of cal, not even ramona or snobbot luann.

I don't think that it has anything to do with Kelly being from the Midwest. I grew up in the Midwest, spent 20 years there, and I'm currently located in California. I'm not immune to NY humor or sarcasm, and I "get it" completely. In fact, I find it endearing for the most part. I just think Kelly isn't very bright, and she lashes out when ever somebody dares to criticize her. I don't think many people have knocked her off her own pedestal like Bethenny did, and it pissed her off because she's used to being treated with kid gloves. And okay, even if you can argue that Kelly was right to be offended at the meeting, she made herself look 100 times worse with the way she handled herself afterwards. She came off like a catty juvenile schoolgirl. It was obvious that her intention for the meeting wasn't to make amends or share her frustration with Bethenny's insensitivity. She invited her there solely to mock her and tell her that she was so much better than her and therefore, can never be friends. She proved Bethenny's original primadonna retort to be absolutely true.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    I don't think that it has anything to do with Kelly being from the Midwest. I grew up in the Midwest, spent 20 years there, and I'm currently located in California.
    You're right about Kelly being kind of dopey. I am a native NYer and lived in the Midwest for years (small town to boot) and they were very "taken aback" by my sense of humor. What is construed as sarcastic/funny in NY is deemed as "defensive" in the midwest. When I see Kelly, she is very prototypical Midwestern (not the ditziness) but the non-confrontational easygoing way of handling things. The Bravo meeting was IMO staged. I don't think Kelly would ever call Bethanny; I'm surprised she even had her number. Kelly was very uncomfortable with Bethanny one on one and the girl is not articulate to begin with and can't deal with confrontation.

I'll admit I have somewhat of a soft spot for Kelly because she's such a harmless superficial person being drawn into these "catfights" for the sake of entertainment. Yeah, she deserves it because it was her choice to be on the show. I think her life is more difficult than it is depicted- single mom and relying on "friends" and contacts for invites so she can write about the events to earn money. I don't think her photographer husband was that wealthy either.

What I don't get is why anyone in their right mind would find Kelly attractive. I understand that beauty is subjective. I get that she has a very nice body. But that face is a brown-bagger! Just very unfortunate and her skin is like leather, she looks very manly. Maybe she looked better during her modeling days. Her voice also adds to the ugly.

ETA: I just looked up some of her pictures and she looks much better in pictures than she does on film. She's lucky she's photogenic because she really is quite ugly in person. Let this be a lesson for all the ladies: stop tanning!!!

Silver Member

What I don't get is why anyone in their right mind would find Kelly attractive.
    I actually thought her face looked more "calm" in this episode than in previous episodes. Maybe she had a facial peel to look younger because her face was horribly red.

Or she may not really care about what she looks like. I can't believe how comfortable she was running around with a burnt looking lobster face.

I actually wondered if she had a chemical peel too, because I just can't imagine her leathery skin could get that sunburnt.

A big beef I have with Kelly also is the tardiness issue. I have a big thing for being punctual, it is just poor etiquette to keep people waiting. I grew up with a perpetually late older brother and it is beyond frustrating. Bethenny was right when she said that Kelly feels like her time is more important than other people's time. I personally wouldn't wait thirty minutes for someone to arrive, and stay when they told me "tough shit" for waiting. Its one of my pet peeves when people keep others waiting.

Silver Member

I actually wondered if she had a chemical peel too, because I just can't imagine her leathery skin could get that sunburnt.

A big beef I have with Kelly also is the tardiness issue.
    I'm always late- chronic disorganization. I think Kelly has that issue as well. Plus she really didn't want to go to this meeting and her tardiness may be passive aggressive. Just like with Bethanny which was flat out rude. She made sure she was on time to meet the guy.

Alex in her blog said that she was late for the meeting as well (not shown in the show). I guess with work commitments not everyone can be on time to a charity meeting.

Okay WTF was up with Kelly's little girl pink rainboots? WTF is she thinking? That outfit was horrible.

I could go on and on about Kelly. She is just a rude, ignorant hag and everyone here pretty much summed up my feelings.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

My husband said Kelly looked like a football player, "very wide with a adams apple". Exact quote!

Okay, I didn't see the ep. where Bethanny made the "Madonna" comment, just a ep-recap from Bravo. So, I don't know exactly what went down. However, even if Bravo did tell Kelly to set up the meeting with the two ladies Kelly still should have been there semi on time. I'm kinda shocked Bethanny waited 30 minutes, I would have left.

I have to say, Kelly was insane. She totally freaked out when Bethanny said anything. Why would you ever tell anyone that they are down here you are so much better than them? She talks about about manners and what is appropriate and in my opinion, that is beyond inappropriate and extrodinarly rude. In her blog she said that Bethanny then confronted her at hte door again. It looked to me like Kelly stormed off and Bethanny got her phone and bag and left...then ran into Kelly in the doorway. Kelly then freaked out again.

Ugg...drama!!!

I also get the impression that Kelly is very shallow. She reminds me of someone who is crazy happy, smiling all the time, hugging everyone just for show. She never seems genuine and that bothers me. At least all the other ladies seem to be genuine even if they are a bit weird (Ramona).

I'm not so annoyed with Simon when he has clothes on and I don't have to look at his scrawny chest.

I thought that was one of the funniest scenes in the show- where Ramona babbles about her FIT degree and condescendingly asks Kelly whether she had gone to college and Kelly replied yeah and then Ramona asks Kelly where she had gone and she replied "Columbia" and Kelly brushes off the whole situation. Ramona then launches in how she is a buyer and all. Even though I think Kelly is an airhead, she really could have taken the opportunity to make Ramona look small but didn't. Of course later on she says that "she has no reason to be jealous of Ramona"- neither me nor Ramona knew whether to take that as an insult or a compliment.

Ramona gets points for working and all but she is a middleman for the discount market- buys last season's stuff and sells it to Daffy's and Marshall's. Many of her outfits look as if she lifted the best wares from the deliveries. I have nothing against discount retailers but Ramona is no fashion maven so it's funny to see her so full of herself. That said, I think she may have felt the need to one up Jill for the cameras since Jill had that luncheon and didn't invite Ramona because in her opinion Ramona is not a buying client .
    Kelly, is that you? I agree, Ramona is a dingbat and I suspect a druggie, but you're being a bit harsh on her legit fashion background. In America, there is BIG money to be made working as a fashion buyer at the mid-market and off-price chains. Their buyers often make more $$ than buyers for the big department stores, because discount apparel is always a thriving industry here. And Ramona also worked as a buyer at Macy's, French Connection and Calvin Klein.

Still totally disagree. If you graduate from FIT, Parsons or Central St. Martins, doors will open. Its a very respected degree and a great background.

Silver Member

Kelly, is that you? I agree, Ramona is a dingbat and I suspect a druggie, but you're being a bit harsh on her legit fashion background. In America, there is BIG money to be made working as a fashion buyer at the mid-market and off-price chains. Their buyers often make more $$ than buyers for the big department stores, because discount apparel is always a thriving industry here. And Ramona also worked as a buyer at Macy's, French Connection and Calvin Klein.

Still totally disagree. If you graduate from FIT, Parsons or Central St. Martins, doors will open. Its a very respected degree and a great background.
    Ramona is a businesswoman first and foremost. While there is big money to be made in the discount market, none of these people would have much credibility in high fashion. There are tons of people who are struggling to make it from FIT and Parsons. Ironically, in the world of high fashion, an Ivy League degree will open way more doors than a Parsons or FIT degree. You check out magazines like Vogue and companies like Louis Vuitton and all the people who are working behind the scenes come from prestigious schools. Many of them come from prep school backgrounds as well because fashion is by rich people for rich people. That's why you have an Olivia Palermo and Whitney interning for DVF on the City. There are loads of Parsons/FIT grads who are out and about in NYC who would kill for such an internship yet these two girls get it- and what "fashion" experience and know how do they have other opining that a bag or a dress is cute?

It seems almost the same about Central St. Martins- almost every designer who comes out of that school who is profiled in Vogue came from a prominent family.

And yes, there is the random designer who go to FIT to develop some skills and get lucky that some celeb stylist discovers his/her wares, but I wouldn't attribute their success to FIT/Parsons. FIT/Parsons doesn't open doors for anyone; they just develop skills. There are so many designers who struggle with their own labels and scratch and claw to land that job for a major designer.

To me, a degree that opens a door is one where someone will hire you for a prestigious job based strictly on where you got that degree. The only doors an FIT/Parsons degree open are those to a sweatshop.

I'm not bagging on either degree. There are a lot of talented people who have honed their skills at FIT/Parsons and bust their a$$es to make something of themselves in fashion. But neither degree is one where you would go to a party and use as a means of elevating yourself over another person.

Ironically, in the world of high fashion, an Ivy League degree will open way more doors than a Parsons or FIT degree. You check out magazines like Vogue and companies like Louis Vuitton and all the people who are working behind the scenes come from prestigious schools.
    I worked in the fashion industry for 8 years - trust me, an Ivy League degree may get you into the business-side of things, but not the design or hands-on side. FIT, Parsons and Central St. Martins are where its at for jobs in design, product development, etc.

That's why you have an Olivia Palermo and Whitney interning for DVF on the City.
    Oh come on! Whitney and Oliva don't even really work at DVF. They show up to film and then leave. They are the biggest frauds in the industry right now.

To me, a degree that opens a door is one where someone will hire you for a prestigious job based strictly on where you got that degree. The only doors an FIT/Parsons degree open are those to a sweatshop.
    Ridiculous. Where are you getting your 'knowledge' about the fashion industry - from The Hills and The City? FIT alum include Calvin Klein, Michael Kors, Normal Kamali, Carolina Herrera, Reem Acra, Nanetta Lepore, Pucci, and a zillion others. That's hardly 'sweatshop.'

Silver Member

I worked in the fashion industry for 8 years - trust me, an Ivy League degree may get you into the business-side of things, but not the design or hands-on side. FIT, Parsons and Central St. Martins are where its at for jobs in design, product development, etc.

Ridiculous. Where are you getting your 'knowledge' about the fashion industry - from The Hills and The City? FIT alum include Calvin Klein, Michael Kors, Normal Kamali, Carolina Herrera, Reem Acra, Nanetta Lepore, Pucci, and a zillion others. That's hardly 'sweatshop.'
    I know a lot of folks who went to FIT/Parsons who are struggling to get work and when they do get work they get paid peanuts, and they compete with a load of other people to get those peanuts. I also know people who work in the buying side as well for those Chinatown operations- they make good money but let's call it what it is- a sweatshop.

As for all of the designers going to FIT/Parsons- it's not as if there are loads of fashion schools to attend to learn how to sew and tailor. I consider FIT/Parsons to be akin to a trade school. Actually, they are trade schools because people go there to learn a profession. Doesn't mean it is prestigious. That's like a mechanic bragging that he went to Apex Tech.

I don't look down on FIT/Parsons. Lots of talented people go there. However Ramona trying to show up Kelly, who has a degree from Columbia (they should try to rescind their degree, girl is doing nothing for the school), with her FIT degree was hilarious.

BTW, I don't want to get into a pi$$ing match over the value of a Parsons/FIT degree. There are a lot of successful people who work in fashion who have those degrees, including Ramona. Just thought it was odd that she was bragging as if she had gone to Harvard, trying to make Kelly feel "small."
    Last edited by soogar; April 2nd, 2009 at 07:06 PM.

Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread Information