Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest

Default Re: Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest

To me it's Johnny Depp that's the eye candy in the movie. I find him strangely hot even as Jack Sparrow

Quote Originally Posted by NoDayButToday
    To me it's Johnny Depp that's the eye candy in the movie. I find him strangely hot even as Jack Sparrow
    I think he's never looked hotter (save the hideous teeth) than as Captain Jack Sparrow. To me he's like a wild version of Barry Gibb on acid.

Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Im going to see it next weekend with my son and his girlfriend. I loved the first one, have it on DVD and watch it at least once a week. The third one better have more Jack time or I will cry.
    Oh yeah Depp is so much eye candy I could get a few cavities. HHEHEHEHEE

Bronze Member

Only 15 minutes of Jack Sparrow....please don't tell me that. I want more than 15 minutes!

Way too long of a movie for me. It could have been shortened by 45 minutes without losing much content. I think Jack had more than 15 minutes of screen time though. I would have guessed he had a good 45 minutes or more. I was hoping to see more interaction between the three main characters but instead got about 2 hours of digital characters and special effects. Eh...I agree with the D.

god..I dislike elizabeth.
    Life will break you. Nobody can protect you from that, and living alone won't either, for solitude will also break you with its yearning. You have to love. You have to feel. Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable.

More (mixed) reviews..... from IMDB
    http://www.imdb.com/news/sb/2006-07-07/

Movie Reviews: 'Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest'

Like last week's Superman Returns, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest has divided the critics about equally, with half suggesting it's a real summer treasure and the other half ready to dump it overboard. On Good Morning America, Joel Siegel called it "the best summer movie of the summer," then qualified his remark by adding, "not the best movie, the best summer movie. ... Your popcorn tastes better, it's that much fun. And all the other wannabe summer blockbusters like Superman have been so serious and glum." Michael Booth in the Denver Post calls it "a sweet umbrella drink leaving no hangover, two hours and 20 minutes of escapism that once again makes the movies safe for guilt-free fun." Jack Mathews in the New York Daily News says that at that length it's too long, but he adds, "Time flies when you're having a good time, and it's hard not to when the action is as spirited, the sets as glorious, the characters as inventive, and the performances -- especially those of returning Johnny Depp and new-to-the-cast Bill Nighy -- as much fun as they are here." Claudia Puig in Newsday writes that the film delivers "a combustible combination of ingredients for a summer blockbuster: a cornucopia of action and dazzling effects, some raucous humor and a large dose of Depp's winning charm." Gene Seymour's praise in Newsday comes more reluctantly. "As long as you accept it for the sprawling live-action, feature-length cartoon that it is, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest will neither disappoint nor drag on the senses," he writes. Likewise Peter Howell in the Toronto Star observes unenthusiastically, "For the most part, the movie strikes gold in the areas that count -- action, adventure and amusement -- while failing to fully capitalize on all the goodwill the first Pirates generated." But other critics have their swords out. Steven Rea in the Philadelphia Inquirer remarks that the film "lacks the swash and buckle of the original. And then some." Desson Thomson in the Washington Post maintains that the film "feels forced and hollow -- a repeat performance that's too self-consciously delivered to be charming anymore." Several critics point out that the film has no ending -- just a cliffhanger set up for the next installment due out in May of next year. A.O. Scott in the New York Times concludes that the movie "batters you with novelty and works so hard to top itself that exhaustion sets in long before the second hour is over. By next summer, I suppose, we'll all be rested and ready for more."
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

I saw it on friday - CLEARLY Cap'n Jack was amazing, and his lines and acting are the best, but this movie was LONG AS HELL, and Keira KNightly kisses my Cap'n and that made me furious....but I ddid wonder why there wasn't enough Jack...I need more Jack at all times!!!
    Talent Works, Genius Creates

A.O. Scott in the New York Times concludes that the movie "batters you with novelty and works so hard to top itself that exhaustion sets in long before the second hour is over. By next summer, I suppose, we'll all be rested and ready for more."
    That's the absolute best synopsis I've heard yet. Dead on.

I loved it for all the costumes and special effects but the story line was weak and when it ended I was surprised because it was left too open for 3.
    It went by fast.

Quote Originally Posted by shrt_shorts
    Am I the only one who hated the first movie?
    Yes.

Sorry! Just had to say that!

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Quote Originally Posted by glamazon
    I saw it on friday - CLEARLY Cap'n Jack was amazing, and his lines and acting are the best, but this movie was LONG AS HELL, and Keira KNightly kisses my Cap'n and that made me furious....but I ddid wonder why there wasn't enough Jack...I need more Jack at all times!!!

Yeah the movie was about 50 minutes more than what is shoulda been. I think that's why Johnny's part felt short, it only covered about a 1/4 or less of the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by shrt_shorts
    Am I the only one who hated the first movie?
    No. I have never been able to sit through it. I've tried to watch it 5 or 6 times, and each time I get so bored that I turn it off.

I saw the 2nd one with some friends, and the only word I can think of to describe it is "mind numbing." Over 2 and a half hours long and goes absolutely NOWHERE. The plot is unnecessarily complicated, poorly explained, and not acted upon until the last 10 minutes of the movie. Most of the time I was sitting there wondering what the hell was going on. I looked around the theater and almost everyone in there was rolling their eyes as the movie appeared to come to a conclusion only to have something else happen that would inevitably draw it out for another 20 minutes.

A*O

My son loved both movies. I only went for a glimpse of Johnny Depp (could any man have more charisma?) but found myself totally distracted by Keira's truly irritating bottom teeth which she bares ALL THE FUCKING TIME!!!
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

I saw it and I was kinda dissapointed, didn't find it all that amusing. Some parts were funny and I had a few laughs but that was about it. I didn't think it was too long or anything though. Hated the ending, it was crap...

I think I'd give it a C, maybe C+ if I am to be nice.

but found myself totally distracted by Keira's truly irritating bottom teeth which she bares ALL THE FUCKING TIME!!!
    Same here!!!!!!!! I was distracted by her mouth, trying to figure out if she had an underbite. I thought she was fug and I just kinda reminisced how classic Hollywood beauties used to be, well, beautiful...

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information