Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Penny Dreadful on Showtime

I loved and watched it all in 3 days. Loved the Frankestein storyline. I didn't guess the big reveal in the end.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.

I didn't even manage to finish the first episode I was so bored... I wanted to love it though, I might give it a go again in the (distant) future.
    Last edited by Geest; January 14th, 2015 at 03:18 AM. Reason: spelling

Bronze Member

Did some binge watching of shows including this one over Christmas while I was off work - It was too hot and humid to leave the house (and the lovely aircon).

Overall enjoyed it for the most part as just fun, schlocky Victorian goth drama. Some things were fairly obvious (bride/ werewolf) and it could be a little boring at times (Van's back story episode with the letter writing went on for way too long...) but there was enough there to keep me interested.

Did love the majority of the casting (esp. Eva with her mean eyes and Dalton) all except for boy bander Dorian - not pretty enough, cant pull off that edge of dissolute debauchery DG should have, and with a squeaky voice and keith urban hair to just cap it off.

Am very interested to see where S2 goes and if they will go the wolfman/ Frankenstein show down. Though if Brona doesn't turn up with a white streak in her hair will be a tiny bit disappointed.
    Linne and faithanne like this.

Oh, I love those books, that's why I wanted to love the series...
    Linne likes this.

I will not try to embed this with these board issues lately but here is a Season 2 trailer for Penny D: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YdeSNcAWos
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.

The new season of #PennyDreadful​ will now return on Sunday, May 3rd at 10PM ET/PT. pic.twitter.com/ghnwQ825fy

Ok there is only me with bunch of tumbleweed in this thread but here are the character posters for new season. they are bit silly and I did make fun of them in twitter but surprisingly noone beside me found my jokes funny. Sorry about the size of some of them, I tried various ways to resize them but none worked.

• No. 1 | Penny Dreadful Season 2

• No. 2 | Eva Green as Vanessa Ives

• No. 3 | Reeve Carney as Dorian Gray

• No. 4 | Helen McCrory as Evelyn Poole

• No. 5 | Sarah Greene as Hecate

• No. 6 | Rory Kinnear as The Creature

• No. 7 | Harry Treadaway as Dr. Victor Frankenstein

• No. 8 | Josh Hartnett as Ethan Chandler

• No. 9 | Josh Hartnett as a L'Oreal ad

• No. 10 | Timothy Dalton as Sir Malcolm Murray

• No. 11 | Danny Sapani as Sembene

Previous Page

[/COLOR]
    Filed Under |Penny DreadfulShowtime

Promoted Stories

More from The Mary Sue

More Promoted Stories

It's not just you, I loved the first season but I tend to stay away from these threads because I have no idea when season 2 starts down here and I don't want to be spoiled. The posters are great though.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

I'm hoping the 2nd second starts off better than the first.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Bronze Member

am interested to see what the new characters are in the grand scheme of things (though assuming Hecate is going to be a witch type...) and I suppose they're saving the Brona/Bride reveal for the show.

Like the zombieish cast to the posters (and yes, loreal ad...) but the Dalton one reminds me of the posters for Von Triers Nymphomaniac movies....

Bronze Member

Soo...for anyone who is interested, the entire first episode of season 2 has been posted to the penny dreadful youtube account...
    Linne likes this.

Us access only. I'm basically off the internet until I can see it, to avoid spoilers.

Damn, not where I live. Now I have to avoid spoilers for the next 6 months.

Bump because I finally got around to binge watching Season 2 and I loved it, much more than the first. Apart from Lily, who looked like some bleached blonde shopgirl wearing Victorian clothes and really took me out of the story in all her scenes. But I didn't like her as Brona in Season 1 either. I also thought the little voodoo wax dolls the witch was chanting over were creepy as hell, especially the scene with the little Sir Malcolm doll.

But I loved almost everything else about it, and found the story much easier to follow.
    gas_chick likes this.

I need to get around to watching it. There is so much about the show I want to like but it didn't really hook me after season 1.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information