Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Parenthood

I agree with all the comments on Max and his brattiness. All because he's Aspergers. Boo freakin hoo. It's like the writers are trying to make this out to be something HORRIBLE....I mean, I'm glad they are addressing it, but yeah, expecting society to treat Max special because he's an Aspy is ridiculous and sends the wrong message to the viewers. IRL, people have coped with ADD/ADHD, Aspergers, etc. for years before even being diagnosed...let alone, having it treated. If they acted out as children, they got their ass whipped, or grounded or had to sit in the corner, or something.

I frankly like the way Sheldon Cooper is portrayed on The Big Bang Theory. He totally fits the profile for Aspergers Syndrome, yet, he always has consequences to his rude and obnoxious behavior!
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Elite Member

They have done a huge disservice with Max. They could have shown parents going through the cycle of finding out, accepting and dealing with it. Instead, we have them acting like he has a disease and it's the worst thing to ever happen. We have a kid who is a brat. They could show there is a difference between what is behavior and what is autism. They could show realistic interventions. The boy who plays Max is wonderful but the storyline sucks. The parents are the worst kind of helicopter parents.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

What's really weird about it is the show's creator has a son with Asperger's so I really can't figure out why the storyline has become so negative.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    What's really weird about it is the show's creator has a son with Asperger's so I really can't figure out why the storyline has become so negative.
    He really missed the chance to make a huge impact and help dispel some of the negative stereotypes about autism.
    Trixie likes this.

Exactly!
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Elite Member

I have a kid on the spectrum and work with kids on the spectrum. There is SO much misinformation out there. I am kind of on a crusade right now. I stopped watching the show because it bugged me so much. I think the parents are horrible and the way they write Max is horrible. We're not seeing growth. There could have been growth. He is a very smart boy, he could be implementing strategies and showing that you can live with it without being a petulant little snot-faced brat.

It's the last season right? Actually I was surprised it got picked up for another year.

Yep. They needs to tie up all the loose ends this year.

I'm annoyed the show is on as the same time as How to Get Away with Murder! That's a new one I'm interested in. Good thing for On Demand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

Dang it!! I wanted to try that new show, How to Get Away with Murder, too. I didn't realize they were on at the same time. That always happens. I guess if it is good, I can catch it in the reruns.

I really hated the Julia/Joel storyline last season. I'm ready for the show to end.

Yea,...I hated the Joel/Julia crappy storyline, too. I hate Sarah, too. She is so dysfunctional and then she wonders why her kids are a mess, too. D'uh!

I hate them all.

(Except maybe Crosby. I'd say Zeek and Camille also, but they raised all these assholes.)

I LOVE Crosby....lol

I hate Max, Sarah, and Raymond,...or whatever his name is on this show.

Amber I don't care for at times,...but I blame her Mother for her issues....lol

I had to laugh at how stubborn that Zeke is...lol But I do love how this family gets all worked up and talk at the same time. My girls and I can do that, carry on several different conversations aty once, and we all still know what is going on with each other. Total pandemonium at times....lol

I feel asleep during the show last week....woke up just as it was ending.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread Information