Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Like Tree197Likes

Thread: OSCARS Live Thread

Man that accountant is OUTED, lol. I actually feel bad for the guy. He handed out the wrong envelope, he didn't set fire to a village of children. I get he had ONE JOB, but really, it's just a dumb award show.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

Silver Member

Why would his co-accountant be fired?? She did nothing wrong. Particularly as they had rehearsed the show and she knew she was not responsible for that category at all.
    sputnik and whitetigeress like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BrowFilla View Post
    Why would his co-accountant be fired?? She did nothing wrong. Particularly as they had rehearsed the show and she knew she was not responsible for that category at all.
    Actually, she did. She may not have been responsible for that category, but she was responsible for memorizing all of the winners, and they have a protocol for what to do when a mistake like that happens, which they didn't follow. His initial screw-up caused the problem, but neither one of them did their job in correcting the mistake. The producers had to push the accountants on stage to fix things. From the point of view of their customer, they both failed.

Also, they haven't been fired from their accountant jobs. They just won't be allowed to work the Oscars again.
    HWBL and czb like this.
    Dear Buddha, please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket...

Yeah, they weren't fired from Price Waterhouse, just from the Oscar gig in the future. That guy basically was a groupie.

I kind of had a similar "senior" moment as Beatty did, today. I had planned to go to a specialty store to get an item only they sell. So, the entire day I was thinking about going there after work, I'd be just in time before they close and I could make my purchase. So, I drove up to the shopping center's parking lot, from which you can directly walk up the store. I drove up to park as close to the store as possible and looked at the storefront and it said "For Rent"! It seriously did not register with me as I looked up and down the row of stores to see if perhaps I'd driven too far across the parking lot, but of course I hadn't. I was so distracted by the unexpected sight, I drove around the parking lot one extra round, as if by magic the store would be open again the second time I'd drive up to it! It also made me question how the hell long ago it had been that I'd last bought something at that store. It really didn't seem all that long ago.

So, the parallel between the two incidents is that he and Faye expected to walk out and read the winner in the right category. He opened the envelope and the expectation went straight out of the window. Only it didn't happen on a half empty parking lot. It happened on a stage, full in the limelight, with cameras registering their every move, in front of a room filled with peers and millions watching at home.
    lindsaywhit likes this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    Yeah, they weren't fired from Price Waterhouse, just from the Oscar gig in the future. That guy basically was a groupie.

I kind of had a similar "senior" moment as Beatty did, today. I had planned to go to a specialty store to get an item only they sell. So, the entire day I was thinking about going there after work, I'd be just in time before they close and I could make my purchase. So, I drove up to the shopping center's parking lot, from which you can directly walk up the store. I drove up to park as close to the store as possible and looked at the storefront and it said "For Rent"! It seriously did not register with me as I looked up and down the row of stores to see if perhaps I'd driven too far across the parking lot, but of course I hadn't. I was so distracted by the unexpected sight, I drove around the parking lot one extra round, as if by magic the store would be open again the second time I'd drive up to it! It also made me question how the hell long ago it had been that I'd last bought something at that store. It really didn't seem all that long ago.

So, the parallel between the two incidents is that he and Faye expected to walk out and read the winner in the right category. He opened the envelope and the expectation went straight out of the window. Only it didn't happen on a half empty parking lot. It happened on a stage, full in the limelight, with cameras registering their every move, in front of a room filled with peers and millions watching at home.
    OMG, I've done stuff like that... "If I just come at it from the side I usually do, surely it will be there..."
    HWBL and JazzyGirl like this.

Looks like Martha Ruiz was chewing him out. I don't think she should be fired. She didn't act like a groupie. He did!

But see! I told you Beatty did his best, he even apologized to Moonlight director after. Class... all the way.
    Where the hell is Faye and her apology for blurting it out without double checking?
    C_is_for_Cookie and arie_skop like this.

Interesting.

Source: medium.freecodecamp.com

Why Typography Matters — Especially At The Oscars
    The difference between making an embarrassing mistake, and recognizing one.There was a major twist ending and a major snafu at the very end of the 2017 Academy Awards for the category of Best Picture. The wrong winner was declared. If you look back on the footage and analyze it, you could read on Warren Beatty’s face that something was not right just before the Best Picture winner was announced.
    Let’s quickly review the second-by-second timeline of what happened:

• Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway come out to present Best Picture, but were wrongly given the envelope for Best Actress, instead.
    • Warren reads the card, then stops for a moment to read it again to be sure (which the audience thinks is supposed to be comical). He even checks to see if there’s anything else in the envelope.
    • He then proceeded to show Faye Dunaway the card with a facial expression that likely reads, “is this right?”
    • Before he could say anything to her, Faye automatically reads the card (which looks like she didn’t fully read it), and announced the wrong winner.
    • A mistake happened that has never happened in Oscars’ 88-year history.

I would imagine there are multiple redundancies so that something like this does not happen — especially at the Oscars! But there’s one thing the Academy possibly didn’t consider, or forgot, for this year’s winner cards: typography.

Typography is the art and technique of arranging type to make written language legible, readable, and appealing when displayed” —Wikipedia

Here’s the original screenshot of the Best Picture winner’s card, which breaks a lot of the rules I just quoted:

Original televised screenshot. © ABC

First, it’s legible, you can tell all the letters apart. Second, it’s somewhat readable, but the visual weight of “Moonlight” and the producers are equal and blend together. Lastly, even though it is just a winner’s card, it’s not visually appealing. I think it’s fair to say it’s objectively bland.

Based on that card design, I’ve reconstructed the card Warren and Faye would’ve seen, the one they received:

That’s horrible typography. I will emphasize horrible again. Horrible. Or to be nicer, not good. Look at it again. Of course, anyone could’ve made the same honest error!

The words “Best Actress” is on there — at the very bottom — in small print!

You are on television with millions of people around the world watching. You are a little nervous, and you have to read a card. You will most likely read it from top to bottom (visual hierarchy) without questioning whether the card is right. That look on Warren’s face was, “This says ‘Emma Stone’ on it.” Faye must’ve skipped that part and was caught up in the excitement and just blurted out, “La La Land.”
    I don’t blame Faye or Warren for this. This was the fault of two entities: whoever was in charge of the design of the winning card (Was it really a design? C’mon), and the unfortunate person who handed them the wrong envelope.

A clearly designed card and envelope (don’t even get me started on that gold on red envelope) would've prevented this.

Here are the main three things wrong with the winner cards in general:

• We all know this is the Oscars, but the logo doesn’t need to be at the top of the card.
    • The category, “Best Actress,” is on the bottom, in small print.
    • The winner’s name, the main thing that should be read, is the same size as the second line and given equal weight.

Now, let’s imagine an alternate timeline where the presenters were given this modified version of the wrong card, using the same elements of the original card:

It may not seem like much to a regular person, but changing the sizing, positioning, and weight of the text makes a big difference. A big enough difference that this embarrassing mistake could’ve been prevented.

Let’s analyze the differences between the original card and my modified card with a side-by-side comparison of subtle, yet important changes.

Left: Original televised screenshot © ABC; right: © benjamin bannister

Here’s what should’ve been changed based on the three critiques I just made:

• The logo doesn’t need to be at the top of this card. Everyone knows it’s the Oscars. We move the Oscar logo to the bottom where it’s least important in this context.
    • The award category, “Best Actress,” is moved to the top so that it’s the first thing anyone sees and reads. There is no confusion what the category is because it’s clearly stated first.
    • Emma Stone’s name is bigger than the title, “La La Land,” because she is the winner of this category. The winner should be the most emphasized thing on the card with all other information, like the film’s title, in a smaller or a less thick font (I understand that the text can only be so big so as to have a consistent look for all the cards, while accommodating longer names).

That’s it. That’s all the designer needed to do. Those three things. I guess hiring a card designer wasn’t in the budget this year.

With a modified card, even if the presenters had gotten the wrong one, none of this would’ve happened because the presenters would’ve looked at it and one of two things would’ve happened: their eyes would’ve read “Best Actress,” or, “Emma Stone.” Reading either of those would indicate that this wasn’t the card for Best Picture, and they would’ve asked Jimmy Kimmel or a producer to the stage to get it corrected.

The card needed to be written and designed in a way that makes it clear to the reader only the essential information.

As a creator, the importance of typography is an absolute skill to know, and people — not just designers, should consider learning it. Typography can be immensely helpful when writing a resume that’s well-structured, creating a report that looks exciting, designing a website with an intuitive hierarchy — and definitely for designing award show winner cards.

And lastly, to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, I would like to submit my design template for the 90th Academy Awards winner’s card (my commission fee is more than reasonable). The card is clean and easy to read for any presenter, with only relevant information. Even the words, “The Oscars,” don’t need to be on there (fewer words to read). The statue graphic works fine.
    And a big congratulations to Moonlight for winning Best Picture!

Oscar Winner Card, front mockup. © benjamin bannister

Oscar Winner Card, back mockup.
    © benjamin bannister

In other news, apparently some idiots took it upon themselves to send DEATH THREATS to the 2 Price Waterhouse types. Enough already. They fucked up, but they didn't kill anybody. They just didn't do their job, especially the guy, and will not be asked for the gig anymore. Over and out. Leave them in peace and let them do their actual job, which is accounting.
    Last edited by HWBL; March 3rd, 2017 at 04:26 AM.
    arie_skop and JazzyGirl like this.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread Information