Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: And the Oscar should be returned by.....

I cant believe Annette Bening has never won and Halle has one..How is that fair

^Yeah, it's bad enough they award themselves all the time, for everything. But they don't even give the proper awards to the people who really, truly deserve them. Sometimes someone will win who really deserves it, but lately it's just been a lot of sympathy Oscars and "oops, we should have given this to you before" Oscars, which has been throwing everything off even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    I have to bump this thread, because it's the best ever.

This past week, I've seen both Primal Fear and What's Eating Gilbert Grape. I feel kind of pissed off now.
    Leo DiCaprio absolutely broke my heart in What's Eating Gilbert Grape. He was beautiful in that movie. Arnie was a work of art. Makes me cry and cry.

But nope, he didn't get an Oscar that year. You know who did? TOMMY LEE JONES. For the f*cking Fugitive.

Ralph Fiennes was also nominated that year, for his astonishing performance in Schindler's List. And he didn't win. Though I would have given it to Arnie. I mean DiCaprio.

I think there's no competition between Leo and Tommy Lee Jone's work on the Fugitive (and I love Tommy Lee Jones). But it was also a case of "should have gotten it for something else" since people felt he had deserved the Oscar for JFK that Jack Pallance got in another one of those "Let's give them one before they croak" things.

I don't understand why Glenn Close doesn't have one. Or fucking Jeff Bridges who is consistently brilliant in everything he's been in. But you have Halle Berry, Julia Roberts and Gwyneth Paltrow who have all won wholly undeserved Oscars. Not fair.

B-b-but Tommy said that line about the donut with sprinkles? Shouldn't that win someone an Oscar?

But seriously,
    I love Tommy Lee Jones, but surely they could have given him an oscar for one of his better films?
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

^ I'm shallow and wish they had given him an Oscar a year when he didn't show up bald, besides the performance.

I don't understand why Glenn Close doesn't have one. Or fucking Jeff Bridges who is consistently brilliant in everything he's been in. But you have Halle Berry, Julia Roberts and Gwyneth Paltrow who have all won wholly undeserved Oscars. Not fair.
    Yes, I agree. Paltrow is the best of the actors you mentioned, and I like her, but she's not particularly stellar. She was the It Girl that year, and so she won. Blanchett lost to her, which was a travesty, but she's handled her entire career--and personal life--with grace.

Glenn Close is a phenomenal actress. There were some who though Cher did not deserve the Oscar for Moonstruck, and it should have gone to Close for Fatal Attraction instead--see, that I'm sort of on the fence about. Cher did a really, really wonderful job in Moonstruck, and her perfomance was moving and subtle and real. I don't think her winning the Oscar was bullsh*t at all.

But Close, in Dangerous Liaisons? And, like, everything else she's been in? Jeez.

As for Bridges, he's also completely underrated and deserves a billion awards. I think his best performance was as The Dude in The Big Lebowski, but he was a happy stoner--you can't award that, right? It has to be tragic drug addiction, not some likable doofus who tokes up in the car while singing along to Creedence Clearwater Revival. It's too bad he wasn't even nominated for that role--he was a marvel in it, he never broke character, he was utterly believable, and very, very funny.

Funny hardly gets recognized. The Academy awards tantrums, screaming, crying, and all that. Not that overt drama never deserves awards....sometimes it does. But subtlety goes unrewarded, as does comedy, except for supporting categories, where they sometimes throw comedic performances a bone (Michael Caine and Dianne Wiest for Hannah & Her Sisters, Wiest again for Bullets Over Broadway...) Come to think of it, it seems only supporting performances in Woody Allen movies are awarded.

I was surprised (happily) when Johnny Depp was nominated for Pirates of the Caribbean. His perfomance was original and joyful and sexual and goofy and endearing and aggravating and wonderful. He deserved the award--it is not easy to do what he did. It's harder to make audiences genuinely laugh and fall in love with you than it is to make them cry.

^^^
    agree. especially about jeff bridges as the dude. the big lebowski is sooo underrated. it's got its fans and it's definitely a cult hit but it's never received the widespread recognition it deserves. i guess it's true that comedies are never taken as seriously as the tragic tales - especially if the tragic tales involve an actress making herself ugly or an actor playing a tard.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Bleu View Post
    I can't live in a world when these actors have never won a Oscar and Halle Berry has.
    ^^
    Imagine how bad you would have felt if Marky Mark had won one?

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    ^Yeah, it's bad enough they award themselves all the time, for everything. But they don't even give the proper awards to the people who really, truly deserve them. Sometimes someone will win who really deserves it, but lately it's just been a lot of sympathy Oscars and "oops, we should have given this to you before" Oscars, which has been throwing everything off even more.

Leo DiCaprio absolutely broke my heart in What's Eating Gilbert Grape. He was beautiful in that movie. Arnie was a work of art. Makes me cry and cry.

But nope, he didn't get an Oscar that year. You know who did? TOMMY LEE JONES. For the f*cking Fugitive.

Ralph Fiennes was also nominated that year, for his astonishing performance in Schindler's List. And he didn't win. Though I would have given it to Arnie. I mean DiCaprio.
    I actually was happy that Tommy Lee won that year. Even though Leo did a good job in Gilbert Grape, Tommy Lee actually had the harder job in a sense. Harrison Ford was the hero of the Fugitive, and Tommy Lee was hunting him down, which could have made the audience hate him. But he made the character likeable, even though he was a pain, and almost stole the movie from Ford. And that had a lot to do with what Tommy Lee brought to the role.

^I like Tommy Lee Jones. And I liked The Fugitive. And I liked HIM in the Fugitive. Maybe if it were another year, and the other nominees were weaker, I wouldn't be so against his win. Same with Paltrow.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Leonardo DiCaprio is a very, very fine actor and that was IMO his most brilliant role. I like Tommy Lee Jones too, but Leo outshone him.

Alan Arkin (Little Miss Sunshine) should give his Oscar to Djimon Honsou (Blood Diamond).

Whoopi Goldberg (Ghost) should have given her Oscar to any of the other contenders.

Jennifer Hudson (Dreamgirls) should give her Oscar to
    Adriana Barraza (Babel).

Crash of course should give back the Oscar.

Tommy Lee Jones (The Fugitive) should give his Oscar to Leonardo DiCaprio (Whats Eating Gilbert Grape?).

George Clooney (Syriana) should give his Oscar to Jake Gyllenhaal (Brokeback Mountain).

Jamie Foxx (Ray) should give his Oscar to Don Cheadle (Hotel Rwanda).

Cher (Moonstruck) should give her Oscar to either Glenn Close (Fatal Attraction) or Meryl Streep (Ironweed).

Denzel Washington (Training Day) should give his Oscar to Sean Penn (I Am Sam).

Geena Davis (The Accidental Tourist) should give her Oscar to Frances McDormand (Mississippi Burning).

Halle Berry (Monster's Ball) should most definitely give her Oscar to Sissy Spacek (In The Bedroom) - she was ROBBED.

Julia Roberts (Erin Brockovich) should give her Oscar to Ellen Burstyn (Requiem for a Dream).

Gwyneth Paltrow (Shakespeare in Love) should give the Oscar to Cate Blanchett (Elizabeth) - thats just awful.

Shakespeare in Love should give up all its Oscars.

Cuba Gooding, Jr. (Jerry Maguire) should give his Oscar to Edward Norton (Primal Fear).

Thats about all I can think of off the top of my head. The Oscars suck anyway, its all political, everything is so political.

Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    Alan Arkin (Little Miss Sunshine) should give his Oscar to Djimon Honsou (Blood Diamond). Agree

Whoopi Goldberg (Ghost) should have given her Oscar to any of the other contenders. Disagree. Whoopi made that movie. Although she should've won for Color Purple.

Jennifer Hudson (Dreamgirls) should give her Oscar to Adriana Barraza (Babel). I'm glad Jennifer won because she pissed off Beyonce.

Crash of course should give back the Oscar.

Tommy Lee Jones (The Fugitive) should give his Oscar to Leonardo DiCaprio (Whats Eating Gilbert Grape?).

George Clooney (Syriana) should give his Oscar to Jake Gyllenhaal (Brokeback Mountain).

Jamie Foxx (Ray) should give his Oscar to Don Cheadle (Hotel Rwanda). I haven't seen Hotel Rwanda yet, but Jaime was Ray.

Cher (Moonstruck) should give her Oscar to either Glenn Close (Fatal Attraction) or Meryl Streep (Ironweed).

Denzel Washington (Training Day) should give his Oscar to Sean Penn (I Am Sam). Agree. Denzel should have gotten his for Malcolm X.

Geena Davis (The Accidental Tourist) should give her Oscar to Frances McDormand (Mississippi Burning).

Halle Berry (Monster's Ball) should most definitely give her Oscar to Sissy Spacek (In The Bedroom) - she was ROBBED. Halle shouldn't be allowed to ATTEND the Oscars let alone have one.

Julia Roberts (Erin Brockovich) should give her Oscar to Ellen Burstyn (Requiem for a Dream).

Gwyneth Paltrow (Shakespeare in Love) should give the Oscar to Cate Blanchett (Elizabeth) - thats just awful.

Shakespeare in Love should give up all its Oscars.

Cuba Gooding, Jr. (Jerry Maguire) should give his Oscar to Edward Norton (Primal Fear). Definitely!

Thats about all I can think of off the top of my head. The Oscars suck anyway, its all political, everything is so political.
    Yeah, the Oscars tend to be political. Or it depends on which studio can promote their star or movie better with the voters.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    ^I like Tommy Lee Jones. And I liked The Fugitive. And I liked HIM in the Fugitive. Maybe if it were another year, and the other nominees were weaker, I wouldn't be so against his win. Same with Paltrow.
    I see your point.

Somewhat off-topic, but I would love to see the Oscars introduce an Outstanding Ensemble Cast award, like some of the other awards do. Sometimes everyone in a given film just does an outstanding job, each performance building on and elevating the others, but meanwhile there is a very worthy candidate in a more solo performance in another film. I'd love to see the Academy spread the wealth around a bit.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post
    1993 - Tommy Lee Jones should give his "The Fugitive" award to Leonardo DiCaprio for "What's Eating Gibert Grape?". He portrayed "Arnie" perfectly and realistically without being insulting or degrading to people with mental problems.

I second this notion, and would like to add Marisa Tormei to the list (unless it's so obvious, it's tacky).
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

Denzel Washington, for me, pulled off his best performance in Glory (which I believe he earned an Oscar for), and of course was brilliant in Malcolm X as well. For an actor of his caliber, I never understood why he won for Training Day, I felt like they were honoring his collective whole career and not that one performance, because quite frankly, he didn't deserve it that year. Not that he wasn't great in that film, he was - but others were better. Thats why I hate politics.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread Information