Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 158

Thread: And the Oscar should be returned by.....

  1. #76
    Hit By Ban Bus! Lily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere.
    Posts
    9,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    ^^I never saw Donnie Brasco. But Scarface is the ultimate Pacino performance for me. I think it set the blueprint for the modern gangster film.
    They nominated him for Glengarry Glen Ross, too, and Ed Harris gave the best performance in that movie. Everyone was great in GGR, but since Pacino had the showier role, he got all the credit.

    I think subtlety is underrated by the Academy. There are a few really "acty" performances that are true works of art--Edward Norton's Aaron Stampler being a really good example....but even Norton didn't chew the scenery the way many (and most) Oscar winners have. A few quiet performances have garnered an Oscar, like Frances McDormand in Fargo, Jim Broadbent in Iris, Dianne Wiest in Hannah & Her Sisters. But generally, if you want an Oscar, you need to portray someone who is ugly and/or disabled and/or mentally unstable and/or violent and/or blah blah blah

  2. #77
    Elite Member Sweetie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Den of the roving cunty bitches
    Posts
    24,533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    I also thought he was excellent in Donnie Brasco. No hamming it up, just a straight-on character performance with extraordinary power.
    I didn't care for his character in Donnie Brasco at all. It just seemed out of context for Pacino, he was a punk.

  3. #78
    Elite Member kingcap72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    10 miles from Pootie Tang
    Posts
    21,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    They nominated him for Glengarry Glen Ross, too, and Ed Harris gave the best performance in that movie. Everyone was great in GGR, but since Pacino had the showier role, he got all the credit.

    I think subtlety is underrated by the Academy. There are a few really "acty" performances that are true works of art--Edward Norton's Aaron Stampler being a really good example....but even Norton didn't chew the scenery the way many (and most) Oscar winners have. A few quiet performances have garnered an Oscar, like Frances McDormand in Fargo, Jim Broadbent in Iris, Dianne Wiest in Hannah & Her Sisters. But generally, if you want an Oscar, you need to portray someone who is ugly and/or disabled and/or mentally unstable and/or violent and/or blah blah blah
    Exactly. Which is one of the reasons why the Oscars are starting to lose credibility because they keep awarding or nominating people that don't deserve them. They hit a new low when they nominated Marky Mark for an Oscar this year. If he had won what was he going to do, drop his pants on stage and start rapping 'Good Vibrations?'

  4. #79
    Hit By Ban Bus! pacific breeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    in the wild blue yonder
    Posts
    15,479

    Default

    The Oscars have almost always been a popularity contest, IMO.

  5. #80
    Elite Member Mel1973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cuntopia
    Posts
    42,972

    Default

    charlize theron wasn't that great in Monster. So, she gained some weight (I do that everyday) and had some fucked up teeth - big deal! I wanted Tom Hanks to get one for The Green Mile.... I loved that movie!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

  6. #81
    Elite Member WhateverLolaWants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    13,660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    charlize theron wasn't that great in Monster. So, she gained some weight (I do that everyday) and had some fucked up teeth - big deal! I wanted Tom Hanks to get one for The Green Mile.... I loved that movie!
    I thought Charlize was amazing in Monster...but I do agree that Green Mile was one of Hank's better roles
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

  7. #82
    Elite Member KrisNine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sleepy night night land
    Posts
    22,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Exactly. Which is one of the reasons why the Oscars are starting to lose credibility because they keep awarding or nominating people that don't deserve them. They hit a new low when they nominated Marky Mark for an Oscar this year. If he had won what was he going to do, drop his pants on stage and start rapping 'Good Vibrations?'
    Ugh. I can't stand him. All he does is play a Hollywood version of himself. A lowlife thug!!

  8. #83
    Elite Member Laxmobster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Down by da beach....boyeee
    Posts
    7,648

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    If he had won what was he going to do, drop his pants on stage and start rapping 'Good Vibrations?'
    Now that would have made the Oscars much more interesting!

    Feel it, Feel it
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

  9. #84
    Elite Member HWBL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    18,170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    Mira! You should see it! Edward Norton will blow you away.

    ACTORS WHO NEVER WON FOR ACTING
    Richard Burton
    Peter O'Toole
    Montgomery Clift
    Robert Redford
    Kirk Douglas
    Richard Harris
    James Mason
    Cary Grant
    Steve McQueen
    Albert Finney
    Tom Cruise
    Harrison Ford
    Donald Sutherland
    Edward Norton
    Ian McKellan

    DIRECTORS WHO NEVER WON FOR DIRECTING
    Robert Altman
    Ingmar Bergman
    Sidney Lumet
    David Lynch
    Alfred Hitchcock
    Stanley Kubrick
    Akira Kurosawa
    Orson Welles
    Federico Fellini
    My darling decrepit Warren never won for acting either, though I
    thought he was brilliant as McCabe and as Bugsy. Just for directing:
    Reds.
    In 1971 he wasn't even nominated for McCabe:
    1971 Gene Hackman - The French Connection as "Detective Jimmy 'Popeye' Doyle"
    Peter Finch - Sunday Bloody Sunday as "Daniel Hirsh"
    Walter Matthau - Kotch as "Joseph P. Kotcher"
    George C. Scott - The Hospital as "Dr. Herbert Bock"
    Topol - Fiddler on the Roof as "Tevye"


    In 1991, the year of his nomination as best actor for Bugsy, he
    met a tough pool, though:
    1991 Anthony Hopkins - The Silence of the Lambs as "Dr. Hannibal Lecter"
    Warren Beatty - Bugsy as Bugsy Siegel
    Robert De Niro - Cape Fear as "Max Cady"
    Nick Nolte - The Prince of Tides as "Tom Wingo"
    Robin Williams - The Fisher King as "Parry"
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

    ***** celeb

  10. #85
    Hit By Ban Bus! Lily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere.
    Posts
    9,439

    Default

    I can't believe Di Niro was nominated for his portrayal of Max Cady, and Robert Mitchum's was far more superior. And Mitchum wasn't even nominated. His Max Cady was scary as HELL. Di Niro's Cady was like a cartoon.

  11. #86
    Elite Member HWBL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    18,170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    I can't believe Di Niro was nominated for his portrayal of Max Cady, and Robert Mitchum's was far more superior. And Mitchum wasn't even nominated. His Max Cady was scary as HELL. Di Niro's Cady was like a cartoon.
    True dat. But: people forget, fast!
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

    ***** celeb

  12. #87
    Elite Member kingcap72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    10 miles from Pootie Tang
    Posts
    21,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Laxmobster View Post
    Now that would have made the Oscars much more interesting!

    Feel it, Feel it
    I'm sure Tom Cruise & George Clooney would have jumped up on stage and 'felt it' for him.

  13. #88
    Elite Member MrsMarsters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    HELL
    Posts
    7,238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    'Crash' should have its oscar taken away, bronzed in ham and then thrown off an overpass.
    Lmao, I agree. And...what was that woman's name from "My Cousin Vinny"? Didn't she win an oscar also?

  14. #89
    Hit By Ban Bus! pacific breeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    in the wild blue yonder
    Posts
    15,479

    Default

    Marisa Tomei. She's not a bad actress, but her win was ridiculous, especially considering the competition.

  15. #90
    Elite Member KrisNine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sleepy night night land
    Posts
    22,885

    Default

    ^^That's what I was saying. She's not bad, but I just don't think she was giving an "Oscar caliber" performance.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Farrah Fawcett's cancer has returned
    By louiswinthorpe111 in forum Gossip Archive
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: May 17th, 2007, 08:49 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: January 21st, 2007, 12:46 AM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last Post: September 13th, 2006, 01:07 AM
  4. Your Oscar Predictions!
    By LynnieD in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 5th, 2006, 01:54 PM
  5. Eva and the Oscar-winner
    By Tiara in forum Gossip Archive
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: January 20th, 2006, 10:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •