Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: And the Oscar should be returned by.....

[quote=Lily;881009]Yes, I agree. Paltrow is the best of the actors you mentioned, and I like her, but she's not particularly stellar. She was the It Girl that year, and so she won. Blanchett lost to her, which was a travesty, but she's handled her entire career--and personal life--with grace.

I don't hate Gwyneth Paltrow in other performances, I just hated Shakespeare in Love and Elizabeth and Blanchett's performance were FAR superior.

Glenn Close is a phenomenal actress. There were some who though Cher did not deserve the Oscar for Moonstruck, and it should have gone to Close for Fatal Attraction instead--see, that I'm sort of on the fence about. Cher did a really, really wonderful job in Moonstruck, and her perfomance was moving and subtle and real. I don't think her winning the Oscar was bullsh*t at all.

I adored Cher in Moonstruck. She was amazing in that part and absolutely deserved that Oscar.

But Close, in Dangerous Liaisons? And, like, everything else she's been in? Jeez.

I can't remember if she was even nominated in Dangerous Liaison's (must have been) but she was just out of this world! It's funny, I had a dream about John Malkovich tonight as he looked in his Valmont getup. Not exactly a wet dream but we were together and I totally did not want to wake up. That movie was amazing.

As for Bridges, he's also completely underrated and deserves a billion awards. I think his best performance was as The Dude in The Big Lebowski, but he was a happy stoner--you can't award that, right? It has to be tragic drug addiction, not some likable doofus who tokes up in the car while singing along to Creedence Clearwater Revival. It's too bad he wasn't even nominated for that role--he was a marvel in it, he never broke character, he was utterly believable, and very, very funny.

I agree, I totally loved the Dude!

Funny hardly gets recognized. The Academy awards tantrums, screaming, crying, and all that. Not that overt drama never deserves awards....sometimes it does. But subtlety goes unrewarded, as does comedy, except for supporting categories, where they sometimes throw comedic performances a bone (Michael Caine and Dianne Wiest for Hannah & Her Sisters, Wiest again for Bullets Over Broadway...) Come to think of it, it seems only supporting performances in Woody Allen movies are awarded.

My fave funny award was for Kevin Kline in A Fish called Wanda. I adored that film. Then there are WTF comedy awards like that for Marisa Tomei. I'm still not quite over that.

I see what you mean about tantrums, screaming and crying awarded over understated performances. I was very upset when Bill Murray lost it to Sean Penn for that exact reason.

I was surprised (happily) when Johnny Depp was nominated for Pirates of the Caribbean. His perfomance was original and joyful and sexual and goofy and endearing and aggravating and wonderful. He deserved the award--it is not easy to do what he did. It's harder to make audiences genuinely laugh and fall in love with you than it is to make them cry.

Totally agree here, it was a huge surprise for me too. Happy performances are very rarely recognised. I guess I could mention Jack Nicholson in As Good as it Gets but that was very quirky and gimmicky and just tailor made for a nomination. Not that I didn't love it. And I suppose I was also very happy with Jim Carrey's nomination for the Truman Show.

Silver Member

Alan Arkin (Little Miss Sunshine) should give his Oscar to Djimon Honsou (Blood Diamond).
    Jamie Foxx (Ray) should give his Oscar to Don Cheadle (Hotel Rwanda)
    Julia Roberts (Erin Brockovich) should give her Oscar to Ellen Burstyn (Requiem for a Dream)
    Gwyneth Paltrow (Shakespeare in Love) should give the Oscar to Cate Blanchett (Elizabeth)
    Cuba Gooding, Jr. (Jerry Maguire) should give his Oscar to Edward Norton (Primal Fear).
    I agree with all of the above.

Roberto Benigni should also give his Oscar to Edward Nortron for American History X.

Forrest Gump should give it's Oscar back to The Shawshank Redemption but I think Tom Hanks can keep his. However, he should, no he MUST, send his for Philadelphia to Liam Neeson for Shindler's List, gift-wrapped with a note of apology and a box of chocolates. (I can't believe no one has mentioned that one yet.)

Angelina Jolie should give hers back there was nothing remarkable about that performance. That was her playing...her.

Hilary Swank should give hers for Million Dollar Baby to Kate Winslet for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Miro Sorvino should also give hers to Kate.

Julia Roberts should give hers back and give it to anybody else.

Halle Barry should give hers to Nicole Kidman for Moulin Rouge so that Renee Zellweger can win for Chicago (I love those two movies.)

Jim Broadbent should give his Oscar for Iris to himself for his role in Moulin Rouge. (Okay, he wasn't actually nominated for Moulin Rouge but in my mind he was.)

A Beautiful Mind needs to give it's Oscar to Moulin Rouge. (Yes, I really really like that movie.)

Kevin Spacey needs to give his for American Beauty to Russell Crowe for The Insider (same for the Best Picture category).

Sean Penn needs to give his to Johnny Depp. Sean Penn's performance in Mystic River was ham wrapped up in schlock wrapped up in melodrama. Johnny Depp's performance was genius.

I actually was happy that Tommy Lee won that year. Even though Leo did a good job in Gilbert Grape, Tommy Lee actually had the harder job in a sense. Harrison Ford was the hero of the Fugitive, and Tommy Lee was hunting him down, which could have made the audience hate him. But he made the character likeable, even though he was a pain, and almost stole the movie from Ford. And that had a lot to do with what Tommy Lee brought to the role.

I totally agree. Tommy made that movie. The Fugitive is Tommy Lee; Tommy Lee is the Fugitive. It wouldn't have been half as good as it was without him. It would have just been another mediocre summer thriller. Yes, Leo was good (and I probably wouldn't have been upset had he won) but he didn't end up carrying the movie like Tommy did. No one, and I mean NO ONE, remembered Harrison Ford in it afterwards. All the talk was about Tommy. Oftentimes this is why a supporting actor/actress wins - they are the bright, shining star in an otherwise bland movie (think Renee Zellweger in Cold Mountain or Rachel Weisz in The Constant Gardener - I liked that movie though). I find it almost aggravating that this was the contentious win that year when a greater travesty occurred in the Best Actor category (see Tom Hanks above).

Quote Originally Posted by purewine
    Kevin Spacey needs to give his for American Beauty to Russell Crowe for The Insider (same for the Best Picture category).
    Kevin deserved it! He was great in that role.

I actually think Spacey should give his Oscar to Crowe for The Insider, too. I thought Spacey was good, but not as good as Crowe.

I thought American Beauty was rather film-schooly. Good, but not great.

Quote Originally Posted by Raspberry gashes View Post
    Kevin deserved it! He was great in that role.
    Yeah, I agree Kevin deserved that Oscar. He was able to show the total meltdown/mid-life crisis of his character, but he did it in a subtle way that made it scary & believable.

^I liked the dull, monotone voice that he keeps up the whole movie. Really makes you feel as miserable and pessimistic as Lester is. You feel like you're a part of his experience and mundane existence.

^^Yeah, the monotone voice definitely played a major role in his performance and bringing out the character's meltdown.

kevin spacey for american beauty was one of the few really well deserved oscars. he was better than russel crowe who was excellent but imo was not the best among the amazing nominees for that year - richard farnsworth was up for 'the straight story' and sean penn for 'sweet and lowdown'. but it was definitely lester's year.
    and yeah, 'american beauty' was a tad film schooly but it's still excellent. as a film i liked it better than the insider though that was also great.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread Information