Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 80

Thread: Oprah show with black/white doll experiment

  1. #61
    Elite Member JamieElizabeth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    San Jose, California, United States
    Posts
    2,895

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    See, the whole color thing is so off.. i mean, really off.

    Darth Vader was given an all black costume because black = evil

    The black night had black armor, black = evil

    Gabriel Byrnn playing the devil wore all black.. black = evil

    Lord of the Rings: all villains wear black or are darkly colored to show their evil nature

    Most villains in contemporary and even mythical stories wear black or are darkly colored, to show that they are corrupt and dark hearted, while the heroes most often wear light colors and are lightly colored to show purity of heart

    So this whole "4 year olds seeing afro-centric dolls as evil because they're afro centric and society is just AWFUL" nonsense is just that.

    give me a break. Fuck oprah and her faux racist bullshit.
    Exactly. It's like we have eradicated such significance. I can see how there is a confusion here still.

  2. #62
    Silver Member PlasticGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    South Africa - Cape Town
    Posts
    598

    Default

    PUHLEEZ to those who say its not racist of oprah to have this on her show - its because she ALWAYS has to bring up the race issue, and the fact that she is basically trying to state that once again - white ppl are f**ckups. It promotes the divide!!
    I think that kids watch tv and see only white characters in movies, politicians and authority figures - they cant help what they see. Its a glitch in the system i tell you!!
    Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here...
    www.fashion-templates.com

  3. #63
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    33,488

    Default

    ironically enough when my god-daughter was a little girl ....about 5....we were in a Toysrus buying her a doll.....she picked a black doll which she proceeded to name Oprah....

  4. #64
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shoegal View Post
    I am not surprised by the results of the doll test. But, Ms. Winfrey, it has little to do with racism that a 3yr old has.

    There are little to no ethnic persons in the media that have leading roles/jobs. No wonder no children cared to play with a doll they can't relate to. DUH!!!

    I really feel bad for Asians, they are no where in sight unless you are looking for a sexless unic/ comic/ ninja.

    The fact that the media exaggerates "Are we ready for Obama? Are we ready for a black president?" Shows how racist and fuck-up we all really are. If we really wanted to get over this kind of hatred, we need to stop perpetuating it. This, I believe, will never change, because we stink as humans!


    I think it is Obama's Muslim background that is more an impediment in this election than his skin color. I think as a country the idea of a black president is not that unusual, if he is intelligent and well-spoken.

  5. #65
    Elite Member Grimmlok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In WhoreLand fucking your MOM
    Posts
    55,372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    ironically enough when my god-daughter was a little girl ....about 5....we were in a Toysrus buying her a doll.....she picked a black doll which she proceeded to name Oprah....
    Did she cut off all her hair, and then rip off her head?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

  6. #66
    Elite Member Grimmlok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In WhoreLand fucking your MOM
    Posts
    55,372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
    I think it is Obama's Muslim background that is more an impediment in this election than his skin color. I think as a country the idea of a black president is not that unusual, if he is intelligent and well-spoken.
    Yeah, because clearly the last couple of elections have showed a predisposition towards well spoken intelligent WHITE presidents
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

  7. #67
    Elite Member msdeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    in a van down by the river
    Posts
    39,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Did she cut off all her hair, and then rip off her head?
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

  8. #68
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    33,488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Did she cut off all her hair, and then rip off her head?

    Nope but we could still do it....what time is the next flight to Chicago???....although you'll have to hold her down while i cut the hair.....oprah's a little bigger than me

  9. #69
    Elite Member JamieElizabeth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    San Jose, California, United States
    Posts
    2,895

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PlasticGirl View Post
    PUHLEEZ to those who say its not racist of oprah to have this on her show - its because she ALWAYS has to bring up the race issue, and the fact that she is basically trying to state that once again - white ppl are f**ckups. It promotes the divide!!
    I think that kids watch tv and see only white characters in movies, politicians and authority figures - they cant help what they see. Its a glitch in the system i tell you!!
    You know, Oprah has had a lot of intersting discussions, but i totally agree that 'glitch' is what took her to the top.

  10. #70
    Elite Member blissfullyunaware's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    2,706

    Default

    Until thing's truly change in society. These type of experiments will always be very similiar in their results. Children at that young age, do know what society values. I remember being a young kid & I remember that all the kids that were considered "cute" were always blond with blue eyes. Even if those children were damn ugly (think Tina Yothers) hahaha.
    My goal is to be happy with my life.

  11. #71
    Gold Member haggard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    in the city
    Posts
    977

    Default

    I feel like theres a lot missing from this experiment. What sort of neighborhood are these kids from? How were they chosen for this experiment? Were they all chosen from the same area? Are they in school (headstart or preschool or something) or not? What is their social interaction?

    A black kid growing up in a predominantly black neighborhood is probably gonna give a different answer than a black kid growing up in a predominantly white neighborhood.

    And if they arent in school or having some sort of social interaction with other kids, their answers are probably skewed as well. My niece (who just turned 4) would probably choose the white doll because shes never come into contact with any black people (except for maybe passing on the street). So white is what she knows...it has nothing to do with race there, its just her environment. I'm sure though once she gets in school and gets around a bunch of different types of kids it would be up in the air what sort of doll she chose.

    Also, why werent white kids tested?
    Last edited by haggard; May 31st, 2007 at 04:56 PM. Reason: grammar
    Dramatically overdramatic

  12. #72
    Elite Member pinkbunnyslippers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    99 miles from NYC
    Posts
    5,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    I agree. I've travelled in a lot of Third World countries and I was always surprised and a bit sad to find out that people valued my skin colour over their own. I've mentioned this before but on a long bus ride in Indonesia I sat next to a woman and complimented her on her beautiful little girl. She said her child would be more beautiful if she looked like me. Sad, but that is the prevailing value system.
    Hi, are you the one I was talking about Thailand with? Anywho, my boyfriends wife, which he just recently married in Thailand, she said she wants to be white. Have you noticed the whitining cream, or face wash that is suppose to wash away melatonin?
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

  13. #73
    Elite Member nycgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    4,316

    Default

    The first thing I thought after reading this- was this could definetely have to do with cartoons and disney movies because they always tend to associate darkness with scary images and villains, and associate light colors with heroic characters/goodness. Children learn these things from their respective environments, there is NO proven genetic component to racism whatsoever.
    Last edited by nycgirl; June 2nd, 2007 at 12:29 AM.

  14. #74
    Silver Member tofucheesecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Yes yes yes!!! It's way to easy to manipulate statistics. I tried to tell that to a boy I met in France who was trying to convince me that American children are so stupid and brainwashed because they recognize Ronald McDonald before they recognize George Bush (because he watched Supersize Me). Um - hello? You could have interviewed 100 children, and if 5 of them recognized RMcD over George Bush, you use those 5 to prove your point. I never trust studies anymore since I took statistics.

  15. #75
    Gold Member haggard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    in the city
    Posts
    977

    Default

    Whats wrong with children recognising Ronald before W?? Thats how it should be I think...wtf do children need to care about the president for?

    Now, adults recognising Ronald before W would be more shocking...
    Dramatically overdramatic

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Black Parents Can Have White Kids Too!
    By Natee471 in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: March 18th, 2013, 11:32 AM
  2. Dina Lohan - White Oprah No More?
    By DevilDoll2025 in forum Gossip Archive
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: May 25th, 2007, 06:41 AM
  3. Oprah Winfrey: I've got good white folks
    By Bellatheball in forum Gossip Archive
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: May 21st, 2007, 09:08 PM
  4. Dina Lohan says she's the white Oprah
    By teforde23 in forum Gossip Archive
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: August 23rd, 2006, 04:12 PM
  5. Black.White. on f/x
    By AliceInWonderland in forum Television and Movies
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: March 21st, 2006, 04:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •