Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Oprah show with black/white doll experiment

Oprah dividing the races again
    Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here...
    www.fashion-templates.com

I know, hasn't she done this for long enough? Don't people know that so much affirmative action actually can go against them.

The Clairol commercial also shows the brunette telling the blonde that there is an "old, rich man over there" or something like that, and the blonde goes off in search of him. At the end of the commercial, the blonde is aimlessly wandering around still looking for the old, rich man. Clairol and company are equal opportunity offenders. Now, onto those damn redheads.

Oprah is a reverse racist. I have never cared for her, even though sometimes her show is enlightening. what sealed the deal with her for me was something that was in People Magazine the other day. A portion of her speech to Howard University.
    "My grandmother was a maid and worked for white folks her whole life... she used to say I hope you get some good white folks that are kind to you. I regret that she didnt live past 1963 to see that i did grow up and get some really good white folks -- working for me"
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Were the dolls naked? Because I know when I was little, if a doll had on pink THAT was the one for me. Skin color? Nah. Color of dress!
    Number of ruffles! Jewelry a major draw.Especially tiara.Gimmie the one with pizazz!

The dolls were wearing the same outfit.

Bronze Member

Oprah didn't do the doll test. A high school senior did it for a project at school, it was receiving attention from the news anyways . Oprah just used it as part of her show theme.
    Last edited by VanillaRice; May 29th, 2007 at 11:54 AM.

F*ck Oprah!

I used to like black dolls because I was a brunette with olive skin so they looked more like me. They didn't really make brunette dolls, so if you wanted one that didn't have platinum blonde hair and blue eyes, you had to get the black one.

I mistakenly thought I WAS black until my parents explained to me that that was not the case. I came home from school one day and told my parents that my friend Elizabeth and I were the only "black people" in the class. (We are both white brunettes who went to school with a ton of blonde haired, blue eyed children).

I saw this experiment on TV a while ago. Maybe on 20/20, 60 Minutes, some
    show like that.
    Scariest Halloween mask ever > > >

I watched Oprah yesterday. I thought this was quite interesting actually. She did not conduct this experiment, a high school student did it 2 years ago & was suprized at the results. She has since had a lot of media attention. The dolls she used looked identical, in shape, clothes, face, but one was white & one was black. I don't think Oprah is trying to "divide the races", in fact the show seemed to revolve on how black people perceive themselves & why.
    My goal is to be happy with my life.

Quote Originally Posted by blissfullyunaware View Post
    I watched Oprah yesterday. I thought this was quite interesting actually. She did not conduct this experiment, a high school student did it 2 years ago & was suprized at the results. She has since had a lot of media attention. The dolls she used looked identical, in shape, clothes, face, but one was white & one was black. I don't think Oprah is trying to "divide the races", in fact the show seemed to revolve on how black people perceive themselves & why.
    Yeah, I don't think she was trying to divide the races. Everytime Op does something, she's dividing the races.

Oprah is Oprah, last week she had the woman on that was beaten on video by her husband. Her husband is black and the woman, looks white, but is bi-racial. Oprah was racist against blacks because she showed a black man beating a white woman.

You can't please everyone, not even the Great Oprah Winfrey.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Were the dolls naked? Because I know when I was little, if a doll had on pink THAT was the one for me. Skin color? Nah. Color of dress!
    Number of ruffles! Jewelry a major draw.Especially tiara.Gimmie the one with pizazz!
    Me too! I think I may have been the only girl on the block with a black Barbie because I loved her outfit better than white Barbie.

That experiement had the SAME damn results?!?!

I feel like crying. I'm hoping that everyone who doesn't get the implications is white, because that would explain the lack of understanding. These kids at 4 or 5 already FEEL that being white is better. That they aren't black. I remember asking my mom once why I was black, and she laughed and said "because I am black and your dad is black and it's beautiful!". These children think they aren't good enough to the point that they would chose a white doll when asked what's the good doll.

When I got my first black barbie, i was SOOO EXCITED! she looked like me! she had a roundy nose and dark skin. I hope should I have my kids I instill in them that they're beautiful with their dark skin, and that everyone with light skin is beautiful as well.

It's about their self esteem...Lord knows my mom gave it to me...
    Talent Works, Genius Creates

the one and only time my daughter ever got upset in public is when she wanted a black barbie (we're white). i ended up getting it for her, and it ended up like all of the rest of her barbies, without a head, legs and arms.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

In the end, we're all the same No arms, no heads..
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information