Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Netflix Is Abandoning DVDs, Customers Who Prefer DVDs

hmmm, I must not have a download limit. My husband games like a crackhead and streams all weekend and my bill stays the same. I'm a little nervous about it now though... does every cable company charge for download overages?

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    ... does every cable company charge for download overages?
    Mine doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Yeah, it's amazing till you go over your download limit and end up paying 40 extra bucks a month. Netflix movies are NOT small. If you have an 80-90 gig limit a month, and you live in a house where people game or torrent, good luck with staying below that limit.
    I was thinking about that last night. However, a Wii device is not an HD device and does not have an HDMI interface to the tv set. For that reason, I'm pretty sure that if you are streaming with a Wii, you are only getting the fraction of the feed (and using a fraction of the data) that someone using a PlayStation3 or a true HD device would be using.

By the way, anyone who is torrenting (especially adult stuff) should stop right now. Production companies are launching THOUSANDS of John Doe lawsuits right now. Within the last week or so, two major torrent sites closed down because of the suits. If I remember correctly, it may not affect Canada, though.

Torrenting is legal in Canada
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I just hooked up NetFlix to my Wii last night - amazing. Tons of movies, and you could see the official covers/posters of all of them. And skim between movies and categories effortlessly. By contrast, Comcast On-Demand is slow, text-only, and take several seconds to get from one menu to another.

JadeStar, for your configuration:

1. You would probably need to buy a $30 wireless router (802.11G or above) and connect it to your current DSL or cable modem (that your PC is currently connected to). Then, connect your PC to one of the five or so LAN ports that is in the new wireless router.

2. Wii is already wireless-network enabled. You just need to go through the menu on the Wii, let it discover the new wireless network in your house, and then type in the wireless network password.

3. Go to Wii main menu, go to Wii Shopping and download the free NetFlix app.

4. Run the NetFlix app, which will generate a special five or six digit code.

5. Go back to your PC, and go to Netflix.com/Wii. Sign up for Wii.

6. Go to the part on the NetFlix site that says "Activate a NetFlix-enabled device". Once there, you type in the five-digit code your Wii generated. Within seconds, you will see the NetFlix library of movies on your Wii menu, and you can immediately start watching films.

Okay,...good info, thank you so much for your time in posting it for me. Not sure If this will work for me or not.

Here is a link to my cell service, and the modem we have.

Wireless Modem | Mobile Broadband Internet | U.S. Cellular

It is the top one, the PCD UM185. It is really little, about the size of a credit card. I am not sure if I can even use this type of high speed modem with a wireless router, let alone hook it into the router. And then there is our limit of 5GB/month. I have heard that movies are pretty large and use alot of your alloted limit.

Holy cr*p, that is a restrictive download limit. But since it allows you to have a laptop with roving Internet access, I can kind of see why.

Do you have a Starbucks nearby?

lol Nope. The closest one is about 75 miles away.

Yea. It is nice that is portable, and can be used on our desktop or a laptop. My daughter has even taken the modem with her to her apartment, and used it on her laptop computer. When our only other option was staying on stinking SLOW ASS dialup, it has been a godsend for us. Before, we could not view anything with video online. And when my girls used ITunes to add a new song to their IPods,....a 3 minute song would take about 2 and a half HOURS to upload to our computer. I think the speed was like 12-18 Kps. lol
    Last edited by JadeStar70; January 20th, 2011 at 02:09 PM.

So, your internet is from cell phone service, such as US Cellular? That would be the reason for the overages, because the wireless phone network will fill up in no time. At least, it did when I worked there and the networks were being built. I'm sure some of that has changed when they went to 4G.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Yep. I just got the modem and service last September from US Cellular. It works really nice for us, compared to the crap service of dialup we had for the internet. They told us that we can stream movies, or music, but it will go through the 5 GB pretty fast. We watched one short movie to test it and it went through almost half of my limit.

But with our normal usage, which is surfing some sites like GR, my youngest playing a few video games, both of my girls on FaceBook, and then some play time on YouTube,...we usually never go over 3GB in a month. So it works,..but it would be nice to be able to access Netflix over our Wii, if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by JadeStar70 View Post
    Yep. I just got the modem and service last September from US Cellular. It works really nice for us, compared to the crap service of dialup we had for the internet. They told us that we can stream movies, or music, but it will go through the 5 GB pretty fast. We watched one short movie to test it and it went through almost half of my limit.

But with our normal usage, which is surfing some sites like GR, my youngest playing a few video games, both of my girls on FaceBook, and then some play time on YouTube,...we usually never go over 3GB in a month. So it works,..but it would be nice to be able to access Netflix over our Wii, if possible.
    I'm wondering if the best thing would be to stick a Yagi antenna on your roof and point it at the nearest place that already offers free wireless (like a university or government office) or some kind of pay monthly service. A Yagi antenna (which is kind of shaped like a small rooftop-type tv antenna) can get you access to a wireless access point that is anywhere within a 10-mile range, but you have to know exactly where it is so that you can point it accurately. Lots of rural people do this, supposedly.

We don't pay anything extra either. I'd be in serious trouble if we did!
    It is cable internet and sometimes the streaming will stop and reload. Guess that is when traffic is high?

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

I think the one drawback of using the Wii access to NetFlix is that if you play the game in one room, but want to watch a movie in another, you have to unmount the little receptor bar from your tv, and then re-mount it in the other room and re-calibrate it with your controller.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information