Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Naomi Watts Cast to Play Princess Diana in Big Screen Biopic

The critics hate it.

© AP/ Naomi Watts

Naomi Watts' 'Diana' attacked by British critics
    Sept. 6, 2013, 12:36 PM EST
    WENN
    Naomi Watts' new royal biopic "Diana" has come under fire from movie critics in Britain, who have labeled the film "horrendous," "cheerless" and "cheap."
    Find: The latest on Diana's death conspiracy
    In the new picture, which premiered in the U.K. on Thursday night, the British-born actress portrays Princess Diana in the last years of her life before her death in a car crash in Paris in 1997. The film received a slew of scathing reviews from Britain's critics in the aftermath of the premiere, with many questioning the movie's historical accuracy and even slamming the story as a "soap opera" reimagining of the princess' life.
    Peter Bradshaw of the Guardian gave "Diana" just one star out of a possible five and heavily criticized the film, writing, "Poor Princess Diana. I hesitate to use the term 'car crash cinema.' But the awful truth is that, 16 years after that terrible day in 1997, she has died another awful death ... The movie isn't so much Mills & Boon as a horrendous Fifty Shades of Grey with the S&M sex taken out -- and replaced with paparazzi intrusion and misunderstood charity work ... The moment anyone, anyone at all, opens their mouth, we are in TV-movie-land, soap-land."
    The Daily Telegraph's David Gritten concurs, singling out the movie's references to the Paris car crash as a "redundant piece of lurid sensationalism," adding of the film, "What's the point of 'Diana'? It's hardly fascinating. It doesn't offer new facts about the princess's life. And it certainly doesn't explain her complexity or contradictions. That would take a different, better film altogether."
    David Edwards of the Daily Mirror adds, "'Diana' can only be described as a fabulously awful film. The queen of hearts has been recast as a sad-sack singleton that even Bridget Jones would cross the street to avoid ... The film's a cheap and cheerless effort ... Director Oliver Hirschbiegel ... should know better ... Despite a peroxide hair job, (Watts) looks, sounds and acts nothing like the princess of Wales. Wesley Snipes in a blond wig would be more convincing." Christopher Tookey of the Daily Mail also gave the film just one star out of five, branding it "tedious," "slow" and "terribly, terribly dull."
    The film has also been criticized by the princess' former lover Dr. Hasnat Khan, who is played by "Lost" star Naveen Andrews. He insists the story is based on "hypotheses and gossip" and is "completely wrong."

Naomi Watts' 'Diana' attacked by British critics - MSN Movies News
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

well, c'mon...were they expecting a louis malle film?
    sputnik likes this.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

A*O

"Wesley Snipes on a blonde wig would be more convincing " LOL. Naomi Watts knows its a dud; she stormed out of a radio interview when asked some questions she didn't like. Suck it up princess.
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    "Wesley Snipes on a blonde wig would be more convincing "
    That made me literally LOL. Harsh!

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    That made me literally LOL. Harsh!
    Me too!
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Is anybody surprised?
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Hit By Ban Bus!

It's funny, on average I would say that Naiomi Watts is much more beautiful than Diana, but seeing her try to portray Diana, she totally pales in comparison. She looks like a child playing dress up. Makes you think about how much more natural poise Diana had. This casting was doomed from the start. What a disaster. This will be her Mommy Dearest.

mommy dearest is awesome, what are you talking about?!
    ribbit likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^^ Mommy Dearest is the greatest, but it did sort of seal the deal on Faye Dunaway's defining role. She's always Bonnie Parker to me but she's also known for what became the high camp of Joan Crawford.

I'm disappointed that Michelle Williams did Marilyn and Naomi did Diana. Two actresses that leave me bored to tears anyway, but they shouldn't have done these movies. I watched 20 minutes of My Week With Marilyn. She was lifeless
    and had no charm.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

They are running trailers for this fairly hard on some channels. They leave me wanting to chip the remnants of a sugar overdose off the tv and and clean vomit from the rug. A made for tv movie probably would have come out better.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

I am glad to have learned from the trailer that merely by speaking in whispery tones and layering our hair in whatever fashion, any of us can be passed off as Diana. The gap between commoners and royalty continues to shrink!
    Kittylady likes this.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information