Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Movie scenes that made you cry

^In your review you've used two words why I couldn't be moved by the
    movie in its entirety and the torture scenes in particular: disturbing and
    sickening.
    You really put your finger on the big problem with Mel's movie: "theres no
    way of knowing if it was more brutal than the film, or less brutal" and then
    you add that you decide to go with "just as brutal" as in this movie.

Well, there is no knowing, and Mel's depiction and seeming fascination
    with showing such detailed violence did not sit well with me. And if it was
    his intention to convince "non-believers" that they should be grateful
    because of the amount of suffering Jesus did for them, he missed the boat
    because I know more people who were turned off by the graphic violence
    (believers and non-believers alike), than that it either changed their minds
    or reinforced their beliefs.
    It was well directed, I liked the whole original language idea etc., but
    the violence was over the top (whether the reality - the one we have
    no way of knowing about - was as bad, or worse or less) and disgusting.
    It only made me believe that Mel may have been one of those little
    boys who loved to disect insects by pulling them apart, wing, by leg, by
    stinger.....
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

i completely agree, mel went too far with the violence. I know alot of atheists who only went and saw the passion because they were curious as to how violent and gory it really was. And i'm sure Mel liked that it got so much attention for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by StayYoung&Pretty View Post
    Thats really surprising that you didn't cry. Forgive me, i just find it weird that someone wouldn't at least tear up from watching that torture. I didn't think the bible had the number of lashes he got, and while some people say Mel did a good job of showing the crucifixion and torture of Jesus, theres no way of knowing if it was more brutal than the film, or less brutal. I'm going to go with just as brutal because he had to suffer. However i dont think the cat-o-nine tails whip was used back then. Mel did make it more gory and controversial.

I wrote a review awhile back.

Some people would say that if you didn't leave this movie with tears streaming down your cheeks,you've got no compassion and a heart as cold as stone.This film certainly brought out the deepest of emotions for many and I am among them. The Passion of the Christ is a very hard hitting,and confronting re-enactment of the Lord's final twelve hours on earth.The film opens with Jesus,portrayed brilliantly by amazing actor Jim Caviezel,in the garden of Gethsemane.Striking Italian actress Rosalinda Celentano portrays Satan in a haunting black robe and with a shaved head,which I found more frightening than the devil with red horns and a stake.The expression in her eyes is bone chilling and pure evil.The real brutality of Christ's last hours alive begins in the film from the moment he is arrested,and carries on without mercy until he is crucified,which is a much awaited end to the suffering.A barely alive Jesus saturated in enough blood for 20 men is nailed to the heavy wooden cross he was forced to carry after being being flogged to within an inch of his life by chuckling Roman soldiers who you just want to severely harm after witnessing their harsh treatment of Jesus.Its unfathomable how any human being could be so cruel and unforgiving.The brutality in this film is much too disturbing,unsettling and incredibly difficult to keep watching.The flogging scene drags on for 10 minutes with every inch of Jesus' body being struck by the destructive cat-o-nine-tails whip that literally peels chunks of flesh from the body,and sends them flying into the air.This sort of sickening detail could have been excluded.10 minutes is too much to stomach,and you get the horrible feeling that you're actually in a slaughterhouse.Jesus remains fairly weak and effete throughout the torture and Caviezel's gripping performance was Acamedy Award worthy.The woman who plays the Virgin Mary is magnificent,helplessly watching her son endure immense physical agony.The crucifixion scene is unbearable to watch with extreme close ups of the nails being driven into a beautiful hand.Mel Gibson's decision to film The Passion in Rome contributes to the movie's authenticity,making you feel as if you're actually there witnessing this man's awful death.Its incredibly sad to watch. The Passion is a brutal,graphic and disturbing film that doesn't leave you.The only way to find solace and relieve any upset is to remember that its only a movie,and its only a billion gallons of Heinz tomato ketchup smothering Caviezel's body. Not recommended.You don't have to watch this film to know that Jesus Christ suffered horribly for our salvation. He was wounded for our transgressions, crushed for our iniquities. and by his wounds we are healed.
    I couldn't bring myself to go see this when it was in theatres, although everybody else I know went. Just listening to their descriptions made me sad. I have cried watching every single movie that shows Jesus' crucifixion and I knew I couldn't sit through hours of watching him beaten although I know that was what really happened to Him and probably even worse than that had happened.
    I did try to watch The Passion on tv once, but I only got through to when they started beating Him and I had to turn it off. I don't feel that I was being disrespectful to my Savior by not watching it, since I already know he was an innocent man being horribly tortured and killed by horrible means for my sake. I just couldn't sit and watch it being so realisticly portrayed.

Casablanca....

The scene where Victor asks the band to play La Marseillaise to drown out the German singing.

It never fails to make the hair on the back of my neck stand up, and start to cry

The Notebook made me cry
    E.T. when he died and when he left.
    Dumbo, when the mommy and baby got seperated.
    A bunch of scenes from the Pursuit of Happiness.
    The Protecter, when an elephant was killed and the smaller one was abducted.
    The Jungle Book
    I cried when Charlotte died at the end of Charlotte's Web.
    God I feel like such a cry baby now.

Quote Originally Posted by CheriLyn View Post
    I couldn't bring myself to go see this when it was in theatres, although everybody else I know went. Just listening to their descriptions made me sad. I have cried watching every single movie that shows Jesus' crucifixion and I knew I couldn't sit through hours of watching him beaten although I know that was what really happened to Him and probably even worse than that had happened.
    I did try to watch The Passion on tv once, but I only got through to when they started beating Him and I had to turn it off. I don't feel that I was being disrespectful to my Savior by not watching it, since I already know he was an innocent man being horribly tortured and killed by horrible means for my sake. I just couldn't sit and watch it being so realisticly portrayed.
    No one needs to watch the passion to know that Jesus suffered terribly. We know he did, and dont feel guilty for not being able to sit through it, because i've heard people say 'you should watch it to really appreciate what Jesus did for us'. I thought the movie and the amount of gore was unnecessary. I was actually angry at Mel Gibson while i was watching it because it didn't have to go on for THAT long. Mel Gibson has always done ultra violent movies so I wasn't surprised. Didn't someone have a heart attack during the crucifixion scene? And when Mel Gibson said it would convert people to Catholicism, i thought crap, because most people who were'nt religious just saw it as entertainment, just like they think the bible is a fictional book.

Quote Originally Posted by DeChayz View Post
    I cry every time i watch Ladder 49. Every. Single. Time. I keep hoping the ending's gonna change and it never does.
    I feel better knowing i'm not the only one. I kick myself towards the end every time for putting myself through it all again. But it is such an excellent movie that i can't help myself. The Lion King (when Mufasa dies) also gets me, as does Bambi (when Bambi's mom dies), and my heart broke towards the end of Castaway when it was obvious that Helen Hunt's character and Tom Hanks' character still loved each other but couldn't be together.

I balled my eyes out this morning watching Deep Impact. Especially the scene where people were told they weren't on the list of people who were going to be taken to the cave that was built for survivors. Its like, 'Sorry, your name isnt on here, you're going to die'.

When i first saw it, i didn't cry, i must be becoming more of a sap with age. I was watching it with boys and they actually LAUGHED when the asteroid hit, particularly the scene where an old man is reading the newspaper and the wave hits him. I'm pretty sure it wasn't meant to be humourous but i have to wonder why it was in there.
    Last edited by DitaPage*; April 24th, 2007 at 09:09 PM.

I'm a bit of a weeper too...

I cry when Gandalf 'dies' in Fellowship of the Ring - to the point that even when I'm listening to the soundtrack I get choked up!

I bawled all the way through Schindler's List and I Am Sam.

Hopeless in anything sad. I used to laugh at my mother crying at birthing scenes, but now I do too. And I"m starting to cry at really emotional love scenes too.... it's pathetic!

where the red fern grows
    old yeller

I'm a sap - I cry when animals and children die...
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Oh yes. Pursuit of happyness. When Will and his kid are homeless for the night and they sleep in a public restroom. It killed me.

Okay I am actually tearing up right now, over what you guys have wrote.. Great pics...Have to add Backdraft to the fireman thing.

Legends of the Fall made me cry more than any movie eva!!!

Dad with ted Danson and Jack Lemmon and Ethan Hawke..

Father and son not close father is diagnosed with Alzheimers and son comes home to take care of him. There is a scene where Jack (dad)wakes up and forgets where he is and crawls under the bed because he is scared and Ted finds him and just crawls under there with him and holds him and cries.. Just writing it is making me bawl. Jack Lemmon was freaking wonderful in that movie.

I cry over everything.. FLicka where the little girl tells her dad that he can kill FLicka, but she says "It's okay Daddy you can kill us." and the whole end of that movie where they are playing "My little Girl" and showing all the pics of little girls.

Man on Fire WHen Peta is Screaming "CREASEY" fucks me up.
    "Shit, I think I just confused myself. QUICK! Somebody hand me chalk, a chalkboard and Will Hunting's brain!" michael k -dlisted

Quote Originally Posted by KD View Post
    Anyone see The Champ? It had Faye Dunaway, Jon Voight and Riccy Schroder when he was perhaps 4/5. Wonderful movie and a total cryer. Riccy Shroder did an amazing job and he was such an adorable little boy.
    I saw this in a theatre on a date. What a mistake, crying like you wouldn't believe. Trying to be quiet, makeup everywhere, what a mess.

Also loved Somewhere in Time when he couldn't go back in time to get back to Jane Seymour.
    Into the sunrise. The sunset is sad to me….it only means the night is coming.

JohnQ, the whole movie, I will never watch that again.
    Arrmageddon gets me too, when the guy sits the little space ship down in front of his sons house, I lose it.

I know this is cheesy, but when Mufasa died in The Lion King, I cried.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread Information