Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Movie scenes that made you cry

Elite Member

As cheesy as it sounds, the movie 'La Bamba' with Lou Diamond Phillips. It's the story of the singer, Ritchie Valens' life. When his plane crashes and they announce it on the radio his mother is hanging clothes to dry and she runs into her older son's arms stunned and then screams "NOOOOOOOO NOT RITCHIE!!!!! NOT RITCHIE!!" The utter emotion of her face and the way she says it...it get's me every time.

'Gone With The Wind'--I still get teary-eyed when Bonnie Blue Butler dies. Clark Gable's character was so shattered. Great acting. Or when Melanie dies and he says "She was a fine lady. Truly the kindest person I ever knew" (something to that effect, I know it's not verbatim). That was touching. I get a knot in my throat every time I see that movie.

The last scene in Gandhi when he gets shot. ah hell that whole movie had me sobbing!

Silver Member

definately titanic. i cried a lot during that

The Way We Were -- can't help myself. I still think the scene where Redford and Streisand break up is terribly, terribly sad. Kundun during that incredible visual of blood engulfing an entire country (and screen) -- I should also put this in the under-rated movies' list. So many -- What's Eating Gilbert Grape? The Electric Horseman when the old cowboy goes off to die in his saddle. Most movies with animals and kids and people who die for a noble cause. To Kill a Mockingbird during Atticus Finch's courtroom summation. And many, many more.

I am quite sentimental but I don't let many people see that side of me.

The Prince of Tides. When he tells the truth. Nick Nolte was fantastic.

Terms of Endearment - when Debra Winger says goodbye to her kids. Also when she dies, and Shirley MacLaine just looks away, and cries and cries. Everytime I see that movie I cry.
    Beaches - When they are at the beach toward the end, she is dying, and Wind Beneath My Wings is playing,
    Passion of the Christ - the whole thing is so emotional
    Life Is Beautiful - Again, the whole thing, ITA with the other poster who said she has only seen it once and can't watch it again. Same here.
    My Life - When his dad shaves his face is the scene I most remember, but I pretty much cried off & on thruout.
    What Dreams May Come - very very emotional movie and yes, undiscovered. So moving, and the interpretation of hell, and heaven.
    Stepmom - On Christmas morning & Susan Sarandon presents the gifts to her kids, how hard she worked on them. etc.

Any movies with animals dying, Old Yeller, My Dog Skip. I always cry with those.
    The following animated films are so emotional, ALWAYS cry with these, everytime. The Lion King, Bambi, Dumbo, Fox & The Hound (I was pregnant the first time I saw Fox & the Hound and just bawled my eyes out, my 5 year old couldn't figure out why I was so sad. Such a sad movie, then pregnancy hormones.)

ANC

To Gillian on her 37th Birthday- the whole movie is terribly sad. Rent it- Peter Gallagher and Michelle Pfieffer

My Life with Michael Keaton- he is dying and makes a video of his life to give to his unborn son. TERRIBLY sad.

These are just a few memorable ones. I cry at the drop of a hat.
    Too many idiots, not enough villages.

The part in "she's having a baby" when Kevin Bacon is in the hospital waiting room while Elizabeth McGovern is having an emergency C-section and he's not sure whether she will live or die, so he starts recounting some memories of them together, all the while Kate Bush's "This woman's work" is playing. *UGH It gets me right through the heart every damn time. That song just makes the whole scene a gut-wrenching sobfest.

I wanted to start a thread "most touching movie scenes" but then I
    searched and I guess this comes closest.

I watched Reds for the second time since I got it on DVD and the last
    chapter (2 or 3 short scenes) really touch me. It's when John Reed is
    reunited with Louise at the train station, ill and disillusioned.
    The next scene has him in the hospital and Louise being told by the
    translators that there really isn't much hope that John will live.
    Then the last two scenes, in which Louise keeps vigil at John's bed.
    He's delirious from the fever and they have a few surreal exchanges.
    She decides to let him rest and get him some fresh water. She drops
    the cup and a little boy picks it up and hands it back to her.
    The symbolism of the scene is wonderful. The realization that they
    never had kids and the sudden feeling that something is wrong.
    When she returns to the corridor, John has died.
    Both Beatty, but especially Diane Keaton show some of their best
    acting in this last part of the movie. I think this is Keaton's best
    (dramatic) part, period. Finally no endless repeat of the Annie Hall
    character, but a total departure from that. Fantastic movie, fantastic
    scenes and fantastic acting.

Last edited by HWBL; April 10th, 2007 at 12:38 AM.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Lion king: When Musafa dies

Million Dollar Baby: When clint eastwood tells Hilary Swank "Mo cuishle means my darling. My blood. "

Quote Originally Posted by princesspink View Post
    Lion king: When Musafa dies
    Yes! That was so sad. I was only 8 when i first saw it, but i think i'd still cry today.

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    That is so hard to watch. I loved the movie, but I was a wreck when it was over!

another scene that kills me is Debra Winger saying goodbye to her little boys in "Terms of Endearment."
    The Passion of Christ is one of the most difficult and painful films I've ever watched. I remember the film ended up at 12am at the cinemas and I couldnt sleep at night because of the intense and emotional scenes.

Brians song (with James Caan). i cry every single time he dies

and of course the death scene and the funeral scene in Steel Magnolias.

OH! and of course Star is Born with Kris Kristofferson and barbra streisand-the part where she's holding him after he's dead. so sad
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Eli

The Yearling (with Jean Smart). Pretty much every scene, but especially when the son tells his mother he wishes she would die, also when the mother is crying over her 5 dead children's graves, and of course... the saddest scene in film history, when Jodi killed the Yearling.

I also cried in E.T., obviously when E.T. died and little Drew cried; the end of A.I. when his mother disappears (might I mention, I will never watch that film again); My Girl when the father told Vada about Thomas J, his funeral and subsequent tear-jerker scenes ("Where are his glasses? He can't see without his glasses! Put his glasses on!" especially); Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey, when they all returned on the hill (I cried so much at this); Deep Impact, mostly when everyone was fleeing and especially when Sarah's mother broke down in tears after saying goodbye forever; Steel Magnolias, when Sally Fields drives to pick up her son (there's the most beautiful sad music in this scene).
    I also cried in a funny little short Disney animation about a homeless girl I found on my Little Mermaid DVD.

Hope Floats, two scenes in particular: first when Sandra Bullock's mother has died and she's in her mother's closet and she pulls a dress out and hugs it and smells it and cries. Second when Sandra's ex comes for the funeral and their little girl thinks she's leaving with her daddy and she packs her little suitcase and puts it in the his car and he takes it out and tells her she can't come with him and she cries "don't leave me daddy" as he's driving away. Fucking breaks my heart every time.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread Information