Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Movie 'The Help' - Heroic or stereotyping?

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Diva, you lucky!!
    I was hoping it would be a see-it-at-least-twice movie. Was Mae Mobley as pitiful? And Minnie? Did you like Aibileen? Tell!
    They are talking Academy Awards for some roles.
    Aww.. Mae Mobley... And Minnie, you know I loved her!! And Aibileen had me crying the whole time!! You will LOVE IT!! And the awful terrible!

Quote Originally Posted by *DIVA! View Post
    Aww.. Mae Mobley... And Minnie, you know I loved her!! And Aibileen had me crying the whole time!! You will LOVE IT!! And the awful terrible!
    Woohoo! They put in the awful terrible! Oh joy!!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Damn, yall make this book sound amazing.

Elite Member

It is a great read. Took me a little bit to get into it, and then I couldn't put it down. Since I finished it, I've been in this phase of reading books set in the south during that time period.

I can't wait to see the movie. Of course they had to have the awful terrible!

Hit By Ban Bus!

I can't wait to see this movie! Now I want to read the book, too.

I will be seeing it. I haven't read the book but I went to high school with one of the actresses. Her name is Aunjanue Ellis. I will see to support my old schoolmate.

It would be nothing without the awful terrible!
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by VenusInFauxFurs View Post
    Not really interested in seeing it, but you all have sold me on the book.
    Yeah this, dunno why but the movie looks life a Lifetime production to me!

I can't wait to see it, the book was amazing. I loved Celia in the book as well, I wonder what they'll do with her in the movie, I hope they nail her character.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    It would be nothing without the awful terrible!
    I know, but I was afraid it would be Too Much...
    Quote Originally Posted by aggie View Post
    You are dead wrong. In fact, this is the wrongest of the wrong statements ever made. Go see it. I wish I could haul your butt in right now,Missy!
    Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    I can't wait to see it, the book was amazing. I loved Celia in the book as well, I wonder what they'll do with her in the movie, I hope they nail her character.
    Celia! Yes..all the characters are just so real and wonderful, with actual flaws. Nobody gets a halo.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Aibileen is such an amazing character, I can't wait to see her brought to life. She's the best character in the book, followed (to me) by Celia. I found them to be the most intriguing. Man, I can't wait to see this!

I don't know why Celia really got to me - just wanting so badly to be liked by all those high society bitches who snarked about her constantly because she didn't have the right background and dressed too provocatively. She was such a quiet little insecure mouse and then she blossomed into this woman when she picked up that fireplace poker, it was just fun to read about someone coming into their own and realizing their worth.

I was wondering if they would include the awful terrible!
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Celia was so wonderful! Lawd,help!

Here is the cast, I think Celia looks just right:

The Help (2011) - Full cast and crew

Quote Originally Posted by aggie View Post

I can see that. To me the book was very cliched and sort of cornpone. The women in my office were all reading it last year so I borrowed it from one of them. It wasn't badly written for a first novel, and it was entertaining enough, just a story I've read before.

I usually am disappointed when I read very hyped books, or see hyped movies. I call it Lovely Bones syndrome. I read it and keep going WTF??? How did this sell a jillion copies? But what do I know? I hated Titanic and Forrest Gump, which were both runaway successes.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; August 12th, 2011 at 09:48 PM.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    I can see that. To me the book was very cliched and sort of cornpone. The women in my office were all reading it last year so I borrowed it from one of them. It wasn't badly written for a first novel, and it was entertaining enough, just a story I've read before.

I usually am disappointed when I read very hyped books, or see hyped movies. I call it Lovely Bones syndrome. I read it and keep going WTF??? How did this sell a jillion copies? But what do I know? I hated Titanic and Forrest Gump, which were both runaway successes.
    i hated the lovely bones, forrest gump, titanic, and the time traveller's wife, which is another one that sold millions. also hated jonathan safran foer (both books) and i despise anything by louis de bernières, so yeah, i'm also skeptical when books are this hyped. i might watch the movie and decide if i want to read the book based on that. the only super hyped book i've read recently and not been disappointed with is 'freedom'.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Gee,thanks Sput & Witchcurl! I guess that make the rest of us intellectual dullards.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information