Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Most common movie cliches

I have realized that, unless it's a "cool car/driving" movie, everyone in movies drives automatics. You'd think some of the teenage boys with convertibles or the modern-day cowboys with pickups would want a standard transmission.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

All some good ones here! I think everyone has taken all the good ones I had in mind!

A car that has been working fine all movie conveniently dies when the killer is three feet away
    don't forget cars also die on the railroad tracks.

I'm so tired of this is romcoms. If the couple breaks up, the guy almost always goes out and has sex with another woman, and it's always some random ho that might have been lurking around earlier in the movie. Or some random chick at a club, etc. Rarely, if ever, does the lead female character ever go out and have a one night stand with some random guy.

I hate that murdered girls are always stunningly beautiful. This happens a lot on crime shows.

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    I love this! I call it the "Laurel & Hardy" syndrome.
    In buddy type shows and movies, one is always the brain, the other the brawn. (Alias Smith and Jones, Starsky and Hutch, Butch and Sundance etc. etc. etc.).
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

the main character always goes after the hot/popular guy/girl and then ends up with their best friend of the opposite gender who has been in love with them since they met.

Is it just me or does like 90 percent of movies have a 'funeral scene?' Whether it's a horror movie or a war movie, there seems to be that obligatory scene where a group is solemnly gathered around a coffin in the cemetery as it's about to be lowered, everyone listens to an eulogy, then they offer flowers to the casket.

Quote Originally Posted by olivia720 View Post
    I hate that murdered girls are always stunningly beautiful. This happens a lot on crime shows.
    I know, and that makes it so much 'sadder' and 'tragic'. I've seen examples of that in real life too.

when characters make a date or plans to see each other, they never have to say when, where or what time, like they can communicate those details by telepathy.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

All musical bio pics have the following characters/plot lines:

-the womanizing man whore
    -the infighting with fellow band mates/staff
    -the dramatic life and death struggle with drugs, particularly heroin, and the painful scenes of detox

Oscar time!!!

Silver Member

Every time there is a Christmas show where a huge conflict/problem has been solved, one of the characters always says "look everyone, it's snowing". Everyone who has been fighting or had some kind of conflict magically forget their problems and all gather on the front lawn or at the window to watch the snow falling. This just happened again tonight on a program I was watching.

they make the stupidest faces during sex!

Wow these are great! And SO true!!!

But I've searched through all 11 pages and I've got a good one that hasn't been mentioned...(which I'm kind of surprised!)

Whenever a character in a movie or t.v. show is a fugitive on the run, or a run away they will go to a pay phone and call a loved one but when it shows the loved one pick up the phone and say hello, the main character will stand there and hesitate...they want so badly to say something but never do...then as the loved one on the other end keeps saying hello over and over again, (speaking of which, why do they feel the need to say hello like 20 times instead of just thinking, 'Oh wrong number'...or 'prank call?' and just hang up!?) the main character will abruptly hang up and walk away...feeling defeated...

That bugs the CRAP out of me!!! I always yell "SAY SOMETHING YOU IDIOT!!!"

It's like not only are you wasting your own time but everyone else's!!!

I'll come back and post more if I can think of any.

The brain doesn't need blood. It just needs to be kept wet.

Quote Originally Posted by limey View Post
    Every time there is a Christmas show where a huge conflict/problem has been solved, one of the characters always says "look everyone, it's snowing". Everyone who has been fighting or had some kind of conflict magically forget their problems and all gather on the front lawn or at the window to watch the snow falling. This just happened again tonight on a program I was watching.
    That's funny, it's so true. You can just feel the magical relaxation flowing over the screen.

I haven't read this thread in a while, so I can't remember if this has been mentioned, but it's something that has always bummed me out. If there are a group of people in the beginning of an action movie, the extremely likeable ethnic minority will get killed at some point.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread Information