Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Most common movie cliches

Quote Originally Posted by Lil View Post
    When someone has finished using a computer, they turn it off by flicking the switch on the monitor (this drives my husband spare).

Nobody has trouble finding a parking space, and nobody ever locks their car.
    Or wears a seatbelt, usually immediately before conducting a high-speed chase.

Silver Member

Every time someone gets in their car, the inside light never goes on. That makes it easier for the person hiding in the back seat to hide until the inevitable meeting of the driver/killer's eyes in the rearview mirror before the driver is killed.

I don't think this one has been mentioned yet.

In every chick flick that I've seen, the main woman always has the same type of friends. The over-perky BFF, the token black friend, and the friend that always sets up the main woman to a date.
    If the main woman has a guy friend, then the guy is gay. God forbid if a woman has a male friend that's straight.

In most movies and series the working hours/private hours ratio is totally off.
    Either the characters seem to be only working and hardly have a private life. Or the characters are living in wonderful homes without any real visible proof of having to work for it.
    Also in cops series or movies the houses of the cops seem to be too big and luxurious to be able to get on a cop's paycheck, OR - the other extreme - they live in the shabbiest studio or two room apartments
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

If it is raining..it is never just a passing shower, light rain with maybe a rumble of thunder..never a light rain..it is ALWAYS a torrential downpour lasting forever/massive electrical storm the like of which are hardly ever experienced. Drizzle? light rain? NEVER! Always a fucking drowning steady downpour that never lets up a alittle and then picks back up-just steady torrential rain.

If a character is hiding from a killer/psycho and accidentally knocks something off a shelf or wall-it will ALWAYS be something that makes a loud noise..never something soft like a stuffed animal, etc.

Nobody is ever stuck in a traffic jam unless it is directly part of the story-no matter what the traffic is fine-they never have to wait endlessly at lights or wait for pedestrians or anything-even in the middle of rush hour.

Character dialog is pathetically scripted. Nobody is ever really pausing to think about what they are saying, etc. total lack of ums, ers, fucked up grammar/syntax..nobody ever at a loss for words or committing other language sins like malapropisms(unless it fits in with the script). also when keying at computers people hardly ever make mistakes/have to correct themselves while in reality I have corrected my own damn spelling countless times in this post alone.

Snow in movies/tv is always fairly pristine..you never see the awful slushy muddy oily snow shit that is what you normally find along roads/in urban areas in snowy winter areas.

No fucking screen doors!~!!!!..and no screens on windows either..which are always unlocked, open easily, and there are NEVER storm windows.

Every telephone call is somehow important. People are never getting crappy telemarketer calls or political/charity calls. And they are never on hold long either.

will think of more later....
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    If it is raining..it is never just a passing shower, light rain with maybe a rumble of thunder..never a light rain..it is ALWAYS a torrential downpour lasting forever/massive electrical storm the like of which are hardly ever experienced. Drizzle? light rain? NEVER! Always a fucking drowning steady downpour that never lets up a alittle and then picks back up-just steady torrential rain.
    Se7en and The X-Files come to mind

If a character is hiding from a killer/psycho and accidentally knocks something off a shelf or wall-it will ALWAYS be something that makes a loud noise..never something soft like a stuffed animal, etc.
    That, plus they've been chased at a fast running speed, yet when they hide in or behind something, their heavy panting apparently never wheezes loud enough for anyone to notice OR they never get a cramp from all the unexpected (and in most cases untrained!) exercise they've just had during the chase!

Nobody is ever stuck in a traffic jam unless it is directly part of the story-no matter what the traffic is fine-they never have to wait endlessly at lights or wait for pedestrians or anything-even in the middle of rush hour.
    Or in car chases when they DO have to wait for a stoplight while the other car goes ahead, they either figure out which route they took anyway, or they lose them. Or in a chase they choose a shortcut that seems to be way out of the way, but yes, they end up IN FRONT OF or NEXT TO the car they were chasing

Character dialog is pathetically scripted. Nobody is ever really pausing to think about what they are saying, etc. total lack of ums, ers, fucked up grammar/syntax..nobody ever at a loss for words or committing other language sins like malapropisms(unless it fits in with the script). also when keying at computers people hardly ever make mistakes/have to correct themselves while in reality I have corrected my own damn spelling countless times in this post alone.
    Hmmm, maybe that's why I love Warren Beatty movies so much> I guess his real life stammer often gets in the way of him getting his lines out like he's reading a book! (view Shampoo or Heaven Can Wait for instance, where he practically talks like in real life, as if there's no script at all!)

***** celeb

Also in movies tv..if someone is shot they are almost always killed..even if with one bullet..they never are running around screaming injured or rolling on the ground in agony or trying to slink away(think of crime dramas and spy movies like James Bond series). Same thing if they are hit...they fall down unconscious of course. I have seen a number of fights and people getting hit in the face/jaw/nose and they NEVER just fall down unconscious.
    always nice and clean..shot dead end of story or knocked out cold one blow.

And don't even get me started on the ridiculous car crash off cliff, into tree, etc. which even with no apparent impact to the gas tank area of the vehicle, said vehicle explodes after a few seconds into an ENORMOUS mass of fire that practically rivals an atomic fireball!
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Silver Member

This may not be an actual cliche, but in movies and television, people NEVER take off their shoes when they enter someone's house. Even the people living in the house have their shoes on all the time, even lounge on the couch with their feet up. I'd hate to imagine what is under their shoes!

7) I agree this is true in movies, but I think in TV, technology use is soooo behind the times...I think of Beverly Hills 90210, Sex and the City, etc no cell phones, answering machines, etc...

in SandC, the first two seasons are totally w/o cell phones AND they have answering machines which is bs bc now adays, vm thru the phone is prolly cheaper than buying an answering maching

in 90210, these were supposed to be rich kids and in the early 90s, cell phones were well used, just more expensive than they are now...I would have at least expected Steve Sanders to have one since zack morris did lol. it wasnt until the last two seasons of 90210 that they thru in a couple cell phones and they also had a bs answering machine

--- dont forget there is sometimes a woman who really looks like pamela anderson who they "nerd-up" with huge specticles, pulled back, baggy clothes, who has been ignored and even tormented for being a beast, who miraculously "transforms". Almost always, they dont even do much more than remove the glasses and *poof* like magic, the hidden beauty emerges lol.

- the single tortured woman who is forever getting her heart broken going thru the comedy of errors in search of a man and happens to have a handsome "best friend" who is secretly in love with her but can do nothing more than support her thru her trials and tribulations. At the end, when her heart has been broken again by man #300, the bff cant contain his true feelings anymore,spills his guts, moment of clarity for both, wedding...

- I love the single mother/woman who is starting a new life in a new town with a humble little job that pays nothing, but manages to find a Victorian Era 5,000 sqft house with crown molding, waynes coating and burl walnut wood throughout the whole damned thing that hasnt been occupied in "years" and happens to either have a full stash of gorgeous antique furniture or just be in need of a dusting...no one has wanted the house bc its "old" and "gross", only this new woman can see its potential thru the dust..she declares "its perfect", the broker is like "ew really", and its done...the chick is living in an old estate for pennies

- oh! and if someone happens to go grocery shopping, its always: only One single paper bag with at least one baggett, a carton of milk (literally a paper carton rather than the plastic gallon), and prolly a bouquet of flowers somewhere in there..like where the f*ck is the trunkfull of the 24-pack of diet coke/bottled water, jumbo pack of bounty paper towels, and laundry detrgent?
    Last edited by Femmefatale; October 28th, 2006 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    Either the characters seem to be only working and hardly have a private life. Or the characters are living in wonderful homes without any real visible proof of having to work for it.
    :

Yes, yes yes, that irritates me!

hm...this drives me crazy...the killer will be chasing some blonde girl who's half naked in the rain and she will find a car that is unlocked and the keys JUST HAPPEN to be in the car..who the hell leaves their keys/or a spare key in the car?!

Or in teen movies the teens are like 30..and there is always one annoying token black guy who thinks he's hott shit...

there's always a child that sense that something is bad about happen..and their creepy as shit..and look creepy also!
    Life will break you. Nobody can protect you from that, and living alone won't either, for solitude will also break you with its yearning. You have to love. You have to feel. Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMarsters View Post
    Or in teen movies the teens are like 30...
    , true!

Or when I can tell the cardboard boxes or purse is completely empty. It bothers me--put some substance or weight in there for cripesakes!!!!!
    Go Habs Go!!

The women sit down to dinner with a large meal in front of them and we might see them pick up the fork, but they never seem to actually eat anything.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAntiParis View Post
    The women sit down to dinner with a large meal in front of them and we might see them pick up the fork, but they never seem to actually eat anything.
    YEAH! That's one that really drives us crazy at home. They have dinner at home or a restaurant and they stop eating or leave WHILE THE PLATES ARE STILL PRACTICALLY FULL!!!! Maddening, I tells ya!

Or they're offered a drink, the host pours one or makes coffee and they leave before ever seeing the drink or before taking ONE sip! Grrrrr.

***** celeb

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information