Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Miss North Carolina USA crowned Miss USA 2009

I know there are times that I am totally dense, but I just do not understand.

There is marriage, which is sanctified by your religion - and all religions have different requirements. I would never presume to show up at a Catholic cathedral (or any other house of worhship) and demand that they marry me without meeting their rules. But the religious ceremonies carry NO legal weight without approval from the state (marriage license). It's why fundi cults allow 50 y/o men to marry 14 y/o girls and get away with it, because it's not a valid marriage.

And there is marriage as sanctified by "the state." We have a constitution that says you cannot discriminate against identified groups. The federal constitution supercedes each states' own rules in this area. NO WHERE DOES THE BIBLE get the fuck involved with the Constitution(and whose Bible, what religion's governing docs, how is this determined who gets to be numero uno in the self-righteous bigot brigade ?).

So, while an individual religion can determine who they will marry and under what circumstances, the States cannot separate out a segment of society and treat them differently. I just don't get why this is even a close issue or how educated people can even remotely have a debate about it.

Ugh, and Miss California didn't answer the quesiton asked. Perez Hilton is and always will be a douche, but it was pretty funny to watch him call her a bitch and "the 'c' word" on CNN through closed-captioning (b/c I was on the treadmill at the gym).

up here in canada, marriage is marriage whether it's done in a church or city hall. it's called MARRIAGE either way. Marriage is a TERM, not some weird holy word. You can either get married in a church or not, but once you have the ceremony and sign gthe paper, you're married.

I don't get the difference in the US
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

The signing of the paper is what makes it legal, even in Canada I would presume. I don't think you would have a legal marriage if you just said we're married without the signing of the paper, no matter what ceremony was performed.

It's the same in the US, but the religious seem to think that their church's personal wishes trump everyone elses rights as some sort of higher power than the law of the land (but only if the law conflicts with their wishes, certainly not if the law supports the church's wishes, like operating tax-free). It's making me insane that there is this thought that the US was founded on a religious basis. We are not and never have been a religious nation, it's kind of why freedom of religion is pretty high up on the list.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I'm sorry but by calling a person who believes in organized religions or believes in God names, you are yourself a bigot by the very defination of the word.

I don't believe in beauty pageants, I don't watch them.

I abhor beauty pageants for tots even more.

The fugly bitch is now done for in pageants anyway. She just alienated a large chunk of those who provide her with vital services: Hair, Makeup and Wardrobe.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post
    I'm sorry but by calling a person who believes in organized religions or believes in God names, you are yourself a bigot by the very defination of the word.

I don't believe in beauty pageants, I don't watch them.

I abhor beauty pageants for tots even more.
    are we calling them names because they believe in god, or because they say stupid bigoted shit?

Pick one.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    are we calling them names because they believe in god, or because they say stupid bigoted shit?

Pick one.
    Because they say stupid bigoted shit. I am atheist, but I try not to knock those who believe. Those who use their beliefs to control the lives of others, such as in this case, can go and suck it. This wall is similar to the wall of intolerance we had to climb during the African-American struggle for civil rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Fuck this stupid cunt and her bigtoted bullshit. Nice hair too, whore. Bleach much? You look like a 3 dollar stripper
    Die in a fire.
    there's a bumper sticker.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

might need a bit of condensing.

This is freakin' hilarious. This guy is a hundred times prettier than her too.

YouTube - Miss California; the REAL reason she lost the crown is SHOCKING!

Silver Member

Why are they even asking these bitches politically loaded questions? What happened to talking about world peace?

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by soogar View Post
    Why are they even asking these bitches politically loaded questions? What happened to talking about world peace?
    I'm still trying to figure out the purpose of pageants. I've never understood why people look to the contestants as 'respresentatives' of anything, least of all wholesomeness and a moral compass. I think it's a lot to ask of these plastic Barbies to articulate an intelligent opinion on anything.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information