Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Memoirs of a Geisha *spoilers*

Default Re: Memoirs of a Geisha

I don't like how the age at which Sayuri's virginity is put up for auction has been changed in the movie version. Golden's novel was very honest when it came to describing the particulars of geisha life, and that included having one's virginity auctioned off at the age of 12 or 13. Being a geisha was just another form of sexual slavery; you just got to wear really expensive garments during the process. Although I haven't seen the film, I have read reviews which indicate it glosses over a lot of the ugly specifics Golden was so eager to expose.

Quote Originally Posted by moomies
    May I ask something...(as a Japanese person)

Why is it that the Westerners seem so fascinated with Geisha?
    I haven't read this book (nor do I want to) and I also don't plan to watch the movie.
    But what's so fascinating about Geishas? Like Madonna even tried to emulate one once in her video and some ppl even have some kind of silky kimono night gowns/robes (which they prolly think is sexy).
    Geishas to me are kinda like Las Vegas show girls or cabaret dancers.
    It's intriguing because it was so secretive for so long. There was always the question of are they prostitutes. It was denied for a long time that geishas had sexual contact with paying cutomers;then the former geisha Arthur Golden interviewed for the novel exposed that yes, they did have sexual contact over prolonged periods of time with one or two "benefactors." Yes, they were trained in the art of entertaining and yes, they spent most of their time working parties, but they definitely engaged in sexual contact on the side with a few select men. The former geisha Golden interviewed recieved a ton of backlash for admitting what most people secretly thought was true.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

I cannot speak for anyone else but my personal facination is because it seems all so secretive and bizarre at the same time but then again I'm equally facinated by polygamists and others outside of the established norm for some of the same reasons. It's a need to know.

For me too, the geishas' life is intriguing because it's difficult to really know what they do or don't, what they stand for, etc.
    Daphne expressed very well what i think too
    "Sex is not, by default, depraved and dirty. Unless it's really good."
    morons.org

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara
    For me too, the geishas' life is intriguing because it's difficult to really know what they do or don't, what they stand for, etc.
    Daphne expressed very well what i think too
    Why thank you!

Silver Member

Default Memoir of a Geisha

Great movie...I hope this is not a rerun!

http://www.youtube.com/w/Memoirs-of-...vqsZFgDY&eurl=

Now that was really funny!

During the weeks I had my cast on I managed to drag a reluctant Mr. Gator to see "Memoir" and I enjoyed it a great deal. Usually when I read a book and then see the movie it's an awful experience because they've strayed so far from the book, not this time. "Memoir" stayed pretty true to the heart of the book and it was visually stunning. But some of it made me laugh, like the descriptions of sex - 'eel spitting in cave'

I borrowed a copy of this film to watch last night. Boyf moaned throughout saying it was crap and went to sleep asking me to wake him when it was over, I was finding it really interesting though, I think I got an hour and a half in and then the dvd jammed and the screen went green. I was so frustrated. Really don't know how much I missed, I got up to the bit where Sayuri's handkerchief was discovered by the other geisha, a fire started then the disc jammed. Very upset.

I'd like to read the book now.

Tenaj *SPOILERS* Yea the house did burn down and after that, then time kinda drifted toward World War II era. So they were out of work. Having to do the only thing that she knows, she tries to be a geisha again and to also find the man she was in love with but to only make him jealous. Sounds like a soap opera! It gets good.
    Im ashamed to say what I did for a klondike bar...

Does she get with the chairman in the end? I'm so distraught the disc jammed. Guess it's my own fault for borrowing a crappy copy!

Quote Originally Posted by Tenaj
    Does she get with the chairman in the end? I'm so distraught the disc jammed. Guess it's my own fault for borrowing a crappy copy!
    Yes, yes she does. In the book they end up having a child together at the end and she relocates to NYC to be a geisha there and raise their child.

Haha! I had a perfect copy that looks beautiful as if it were released for dvd.

She did, it was so sweet at the end of it because she never asked for anything but him. And for him to suprise her at the ending made me wanna bawl. In the movie it ends with them falling in love although,I havent read the book yet.

Default Re: Memoirs of a Geisha *spoilers*

Aww I want to try and clean the DVD now and try to watch it again but because it's a copy I can't skip chapters, really don't want to chance watching it all up to where it jammed for it to happen again. I will not be responsible for my actions!

I will just have to rent it out. I think it's a beautiful film (the bits I saw). Thanks Fierce and Undercover

Default Re: Memoirs of a Geisha *spoilers*

Maybe when they do release it, it have more stuff on it. So I might as well have to perchased it, but well worth a buying.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information