Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Making a Murderer

There are something like 10 points of evidence that you have to discount to dismiss Avery as being guilty.
    gas_chick likes this.

Dateline NBC on Friday was about this case, apparently they had done a story on it about 10 years ago. It was pretty much a rehash of interviews from back then, plus some of the information from the documentary. The only new thing is that Kathleen Zellner, a famous defense attorney, has taken on the case and claims to have new evidence that shows Steven's innocence. She actually purchased a Toyota Rav 4 which is the exact model of the one driven by the photographer he allegedly murdered so they could try to re-create how the evidence (DNA, the blood) could have ended up on the car.

If it doesn't work out, it's still a great little car.
    joebob, o0Amber0o and Brah like this.

Kathleen Zellner was Ryan Ferguson's lawyer and she worked tirelessly to get his conviction overturned.

If you have watched the Netflix special you should watch Dateline as well. I agree our system is broken but this guy is guilty.
    joebob and AtiaOfTheJulii like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

fgg

Making A Murder’s Brandon Dassey’s conviction is overturned

While fans of true crime stories eagerly await the return of the Netflix series Making A Murderer, one of the story’s key players may find himself a free man. Brendan Dassey, who in 2005 was accused of the murder of Teresa Halbach along with his uncle, Steven Avery, was found by a federal judge to have been wrongfully convicted of the crime and could be free within the next 90 days.

If you saw the documentary series, you saw how Dassey was pretty much led to confess to the crime. After many appeals, a federal court finally agreed. Dassey’s attorneys, with the Center on Wrongful Convictions for Youth, filed a federal petition for writ of habeas corpus claiming Dassey’s constitutional rights had been violated. Dassey’s attorneys argued that the then 16-year-old was denied access to effective counsel, violating his Sixth Amendment rights. They also claimed that his 5th and 14th Amendment rights were violated when he was coerced into making his confession. Then, on Friday, Magistrate Judge William E. Duffin ruled in Dassey’s favor. The state now has 90 days to either retry him or set him free.

Upon hearing the news, show creators Laura Ricciardi and Moira Demos released the following statement:

“Today there was a major development for the subjects in our story and this recent news shows the criminal justice system at work. As we have done for the past 10 years, we will continue to document the story as it unfolds, and follow it wherever it may lead.”

[From Deadline]

Unfortunately for Laura and Moira, cameras weren’t rolling when the decision was made and Dassey’s family was out of town. Even though they may have missed filming the immediate reaction, there’s still sure to be lots of drama for the cameras. Oh, and on a lighter note, there’s a petition on Change.org to send the wrestling-loving Dassey to go to Wrestlemania.

The man still at the center of it all, 54-year-old Steven Avery, still contends that he’s destined to be found innocent of the charges that he murdered Teresa Halbach back in 2005 and will eventually be a free man.

In an phone interview from prison with In Touch magazine, Avery asserted that, with the help of his new legal team “I’m going to be free.” He went on to clarify his statement, saying “I’m 1,000 percent confident that I’ll be free.” It will certainly be interesting to see what happens now. I, myself, can’t wait to binge watch season 2.

Cele|bitchy | Making A Murder’s Brandon Dassey’s conviction is overturned
    Brookie and Sassiness like this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

fgg

Full federal court to hear ‘Making a Murderer’ appeal

A federal appeals court will consider arguments Tuesday over whether detectives tricked a Wisconsin inmate featured in the “Making a Murderer” series into confessing and whether he should go free in a case that puts police practices in the spotlight.

Oral arguments in Brendan Dassey’s case are before all 12 judges of the 7th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals in Chicago. Dassey’s lawyers and state attorneys are each expected to speak for half an hour and answer the judges’ questions. A ruling may not come for weeks or months.

Dassey, now 27, was sentenced to life in prison in 2007 in the death of photographer Teresa Halbach two years earlier. He was 16 when he told detectives that he helped his uncle, Steven Avery, rape and kill Halbach in the Avery family’s junkyard in Manitowoc County.

A federal magistrate judge overturned Dassey’s conviction last year, ruling that detectives took advantage of Dassey’s youth and cognitive disabilities to coerce his confession. In June, a three-judge panel from the appellate court upheld the magistrate’s ruling, agreeing that detectives coerced Dassey into confessing.

State attorneys asked the full 7th Circuit to review the case, arguing that the ruling upended long-accepted police interrogation techniques.

Dassey has remained in prison while the state appeals.

Avery was sentenced to life in prison at a separate trial. He’s pursuing his own appeal in state court.

Both Avery and Dassey contend police framed them because they wanted revenge against Avery for filing a lawsuit against Manitowoc County over his wrongful imprisonment for a sexual assault he didn’t commit.

Their cases gained attention in 2015 after Netflix aired “Making a Murderer,” a series examining Halbach’s death that spawned widespread conjecture about Avery and Dassey’s innocence.

Authorities who worked on the cases said the series was biased.

Full federal court to hear ?Making a Murderer? appeal | Page Six
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

I thought Dassey was already out?
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

I think the state appealed his acquittal or something - utter bullshit. If he was acquitted on appeal he should be out.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    There are something like 10 points of evidence that you have to discount to dismiss Avery as being guilty.
    Most of that evidence comes from a corrupt and tainted investigation and prosecution.

Avery may well be found guilty in a proper trial with the rules of evidence applied properly. But based on what happened in the past... things are seriously fucked.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information