Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This is making me sad - Oprah / 30 Days

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Re: This is making me sad - Oprah / 30 Days

They are talking about a show called "30 Days Living on Minimum Wage"

this was amazing and although I agree that training is available, etc. where are alot of people going to find time? Especially if they've got kids, etc?. It easy without kids but if you're, just say, a single mom, it just isn't easy.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch
    this was amazing and although I agree that training is available, etc. where are alot of people going to find time? Especially if they've got kids, etc?. It easy without kids but if you're, just say, a single mom, it just isn't easy.

No one ever claimed it was easy. I got a bachelors and a masters while working full time and being a single mom living in a shit hole eating ramen soup and wearing what I could buy from Goodwill. It isn't easy but it's worth it.

SVZ

That's so hard though...not everyone could do it. I'm sure I'd have some mental breakdowns.

This TV show also isn't factoring things like illness or accidents. What happens then?

Actually it ended up having to b/c he hurt his wrist in the course of the filming (had to go to a free clinic and was never seen, went to the emergency room later for a huge bill), and his girlfriend got a UTI at some point and also had to go the emergency room. He said that at the end of the month they were in the hole $1200 b/c of the medical bills.

Well, that would never happen in Canada. But everything else is more expensive!

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Oh and did you see what the hospital charged for an ace bandage and over the counter pain relief! Unbelievable. Now I know there are people who know how to work the system but alot of people are desperately in need of help. And at the end of the day, alot of them have kids. Even if the parents are screwing teh system over, should their kids suffer? We aren't living in Dicken's time...I thought we were a bit more enlightened these days. *goes off to ask for more porridge*
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I think a lot of the allure of the convenience store is that people that have no life skills can't ever plan ahead, they live from moment to moment and couldn't do something as organized as shopping once a week at a grocery store. I see my SIL doing this, she can only rush out and buy one soda or one pack of cigarettes when it's clearly cheaper not to do that. They fill whatever immediate desire they have. In my SILs case both of her parents were drunks, so she wasn't raised to have any sense, just to survive.

Bronze Member

Default Re: This is making me sad

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia
    This may be an unpopular thing for me to say, but there are a lot of people who take minimum wage jobs because they choose not to obtain training for skilled jobs. I'm not talking about people who are doing the best they can in order to keep minimum wage jobs, but rather lazy people, like a couple of my family members, who bitch & moan about having a crappy job when they've never bothered to make themselves desirable to employers.

There are resources in most decent-sized towns that will help you better yourself. Unfortunately, itty-bitty towns often don't have much to offer in the way of training or jobs, so you get what you get. Still, you ultimately choose where you live.

My dad has a convenience store. Something we've noticed over the years is that low-income people are the ones who come into his store & buy drinks, snacks, candy, grocery items, etc. Everyone knows how jacked up convenience store prices are, so I am kind of intrigued by this pattern.

RIGHT ON....

Did anyone else have a problem with Oprah's disblief that this exist?

^^^Yeah Im watching this and couldnt help but get that impression from her. I just say like the day before her BFF Gayle talking about her house in Hawaii. Something is off when this lady is doing a show on people barely making it and her she sits and acts soooo surprised and upset. Come on Oprah we, the public, are onto your stupidness.
    Something always rubs me the wrong way when you know reporters or daytime talk show hosts do these stories and you know they get to go home in their limo or 2006 brand new car and 15 room mansion and can close the "nasty unsightly" world out.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

I have an issue with people who are already in poverty/on welfare and continue to have children, as if that's not going to set you back. I am not suggesting that children are just for the wealthy, but people who refuse to use birth control and then have children they can't afford to take care of really have no business wailing about how hard they have it. And I come from a single-parent, 1 income household.

Silver Member

And how/where do they get this birth control? Some places do hand out free condoms but they're not 100% effective. Birth control pills and other female birth control costs money...

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    I think we need more career counseling in schools, to help seniors understand exactly what they're getting into. There will always be people who milk the system, but there are some who could be saved from a life of poverty if they're just helped to make better life choices, sooner. For example, don't have kids immediately. Do what you need to do to start a decent career first.
    I think that's a great idea. But why wait till senior year (esp with today's drop out rates!) Teach them in 7th-9th grades and try to get them before illusions of grandeur take over. Even start in the 1st-2nd grades - can't hurt to start teaching life lessons then and by the time they're old enough it'll be something they do without thinking. Like tying your shoes

Quote Originally Posted by western View Post
    And how/where do they get this birth control? Some places do hand out free condoms but they're not 100% effective. Birth control pills and other female birth control costs money...
    Birth control is $20 a month and condoms cost even less. A child is a hell of a lot more expensive.

Elite Member

Planned Parenthood is the place to go for birth control. What they charge you is based on income. And I believe they give out condoms for free.

As far as Oprah, I didn't get a vibe of disbelief from her at all. I thought she was very sympathetic. Just the fact that she chose to feature this issue on her show says that.

And I agree with the person who suggested that life skills and realities be taught in school early on. They had a class in my high school liked that called "Single Survival" or something along those lines, where students were taught to balance their checkbook, do basic cooking, read classifieds, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by western View Post
    Planned parenthood, local health units - there were girls that I went to college with who went once every six months for a checkup and when they were done, they walked out with a brown paper bag with condoms and 6 months worth of birth control pills for nothing.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information