Page 99 of 117 FirstFirst ... 49899596979899100101102103109 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 1744
Like Tree488Likes

Thread: Mad Men

So did Pete keep Bob around strictly to agree with him in meetings and other things, to have someone on hand that will always stand up for him and with him? Then he said not to hit on him but everyone else is fair game.

I'm a little confused, is Bob just looking for a job at Sterling or something or someone else? What's his goal?
    I understood Don's goal was to rid himself of Dick Whitman and all the horror of his childhood, to become successful and he's actually really good at his job. What's Bob's deal? Is he just a simple conman?
    Wouldn't it be funny if the series ended with Don retiring and Bob heading the agency, after all isn't advertising about conning people to buy products? Who better than a con himself to do the job, which is pretty much the basis for the whole series.

Betty smoking in the car with Sally and then Sally lighting up a cigarette too. As always, great parenting instincts from Betty! I hope Sally doesn't go away to the girls school, not only because those girls were awful but I don't know if we'd see a lot of Sally if she went to boarding school in a different state. Maybe they could do a '60's version of 'Facts of Life' with Sally being the Blair character, that would be fun!

boy if this was the first time i'd ever watched Mad Men, i would never tune back in. What a boring episode.

not sure what Pete is planning on doing with the info about Bob though.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Elite Member

Well, I love this episode. Finally, we're getting some movement.

Pete learned from his attempt to unmask Don in S1. That blew up in his face. So with Bob, he has a loyalty based on fear (since Pete is incapable of charming anyone, even Bob who seemed to admire Pete initially.) Bob will stay out of Pete's accounts and always support his efforts because Pete knows his charade. Pete can't get supporters any other way, which is a hell of an admission on his part. Smart move.

We don't know what motivates Bob, except he doesn't want to be a hick from West Virginia or a man servant. We don't even really know his name...do we?...I can't remember. Anyway, I'd like to know where he learned Spanish.

Betty letting Sally smoke happened a lot in those days. I can remember our school had an outdoor smoking lounge for students who got their parents' permission and were over 15. It was eliminated by the time I was old enough, but teenagers with or without permission smoked there. It wasn't nearly as shocking in 1968 (or 1978) as it is now.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

^^We could smoke outside when I was in high school. Back in the dark ages (the 80's).

A*O

We would have been expelled for even possessing a pack of ciggies. On the other hand whenever the staff room doors opened a HUGE cloud of thick smoke billowed out into the main corridor. Good times.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    ^^We could smoke outside when I was in high school. Back in the dark ages (the 80's).
    We could as well at one of the schools I went to.

Great episode. While I think Don was correct that Ted and Peggy were acting like idiots I don't like the conniving way he went about it. Plus - does him telling the client that the commercial idea was Gleasons idea now take Peggy out of the running for a Clio? Would it have been good enough for one anyway?

And he was being all conniving about the juice clients and Harry Crane as well. Getting his own way, being the master puppeteer.

Anyone notice another reference to twins - Megan as the twin in her soap and then when Don switched the channel it was an episode of the Patty Duke show (she plays identical cousins for those too young!) - quite the theme running through several episodes.

I am not tired of this show at all,. I like some episodes better than others but damn can these people act, and the writing is brilliant.

oh and the "horror" theme. Beginning and ending in the fetal position, dark mood - Rosemarys Baby - the commercial based on Rosemarys Baby - Ken getting shot - Peggy actually calling Don a monster. good stuff.
    Bluebonnet and Rusalka like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzyGirl View Post

Anyone notice another reference to twins - Megan as the twin in her soap and then when Don switched the channel it was an episode of the Patty Duke show (she plays identical cousins for those too young!) - quite the theme running through several episodes.

I am not tired of this show at all,. I like some episodes better than others but damn can these people act, and the writing is brilliant.

oh and the "horror" theme. Beginning and ending in the fetal position, dark mood - Rosemarys Baby - the commercial based on Rosemarys Baby - Ken getting shot - Peggy actually calling Don a monster. good stuff.
    Very perceptive, JazzyGirl! I didn't even pick up on the twin thing. And yes, I did see the "horror" theme running throughout., now that you mention it.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Neptunia View Post
    So did Pete keep Bob around strictly to agree with him in meetings and other things, to have someone on hand that will always stand up for him and with him? Then he said not to hit on him but everyone else is fair game.

I'm a little confused, is Bob just looking for a job at Sterling or something or someone else? What's his goal?
    I understood Don's goal was to rid himself of Dick Whitman and all the horror of his childhood, to become successful and he's actually really good at his job. What's Bob's deal? Is he just a simple conman?
    Wouldn't it be funny if the series ended with Don retiring and Bob heading the agency, after all isn't advertising about conning people to buy products? Who better than a con himself to do the job, which is pretty much the basis for the whole series.

Betty smoking in the car with Sally and then Sally lighting up a cigarette too. As always, great parenting instincts from Betty! I hope Sally doesn't go away to the girls school, not only because those girls were awful but I don't know if we'd see a lot of Sally if she went to boarding school in a different state. Maybe they could do a '60's version of 'Facts of Life' with Sally being the Blair character, that would be fun!
    Maybe it's a simple as Bob wanting to make something of himself. Didn't Duck tell Pete he was from W. Virginia? Maybe Bob was as dirt poor as Don.

As for Betty allowing Sally to smoke because 'I'd rather you do it in front of me than behind my back', this was a phrase heard by practically every single kid of Sally's generation. Sally's a bit older than me but I certainly heard it from my mother. I don't know, maybe it was because of advertising haha.

Ted is a whiny, weasely, petty little bitch. Frankly, he and Peggy deserved to be embarrassed. They were making a spectacle of themselves.

A big deal was made of Rosemary's Baby, a film directed by Sharon Tate's hubby Polanski. just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    A big deal was made of Rosemary's Baby, a film directed by Sharon Tate's hubby Polanski. just sayin'.
    I completely forgot that is was Sharon Tate's hubby that directed Rosemary's Baby. Ties in nicely to red star shirt that Megan wore.

** Returning to add this:
    I was reading a blog entry about Mark Lindsay from Paul Revere and the Raiders being referenced - this little fact was in the comments:

MM/Sharon Tate conspirators have pointed out that Mark Lindsay briefly lived in the house that Sharon Tate was murdered it –creepy!
    Last edited by JazzyGirl; June 19th, 2013 at 12:30 PM. Reason: adding detail

Well, this is just the most fascinating blog written by 2 gay men about Mad Men's fashions! I love it!!

Mad Style: Favors | Tom & Lorenzo
    olivia and Trixie like this.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Well, this is just the most fascinating blog written by 2 gay men about Mad Men's fashions! I love it!!

Gosh it's Wednesday. Gotta saunter over there for their Mad Style post on the last episode.
    JazzyGirl likes this.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post

Thanks! I bookmarked it. Loved their Bob Benson analysis, among other things!
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by JazzyGirl View Post
    I completely forgot that is was Sharon Tate's hubby that directed Rosemary's Baby. Ties in nicely to red star shirt that Megan wore.

** Returning to add this:
    I was reading a blog entry about Mark Lindsay from Paul Revere and the Raiders being referenced - this little fact was in the comments:

MM/Sharon Tate conspirators have pointed out that Mark Lindsay briefly lived in the house that Sharon Tate was murdered it –creepy!
    I'm practically convinced Megan will be murdered in the finale.
    JazzyGirl likes this.

This whole season felt like I was watching a different show , and the finale was confusing

Thread Information