Page 67 of 117 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1744
Like Tree488Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Hmmmm....I felt a little disappointed after watching this. Maybe it is because it's been so long, not sure. Or, maybe they're just starting off slow? In like a lamb, out like a lion? I hope so. I hope this show hasn't lost its ju-ju.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Totally enjoyed it. Yes - a bit of a different feel, but I also think our collective expectations were sky-high.

I fell asleep in the last half hour - so I'm sure I missed something cool, but my initial takes are that Pete is really work and build something, but Roger and Bert are feeling like dinosaurs that can't/don't contribute. Everything is a big joke to Roger-and Pete is obviously upset by the attitude.

Who mentioned Joan and Don and chemistry? The epsiode where "Guy" gets his foot mowed off, they showed a mutual affection for each other while sitting in the hospital. In the episode where DOn wins some award - he lays a lipper on Joan (drunk as hell- but it was there).

Pete is so unhappy out in the suburbs and I wonder if they are already forshadowing his storyline to now mirror the old Don.

When Sally got up and looked in the door in the morning and saw Meghans naked back and upper butt - I kind of got the impression that they are setting her up to have lesbian tendencies. I remember other references to that in earlier episodes.

I need to see the full episode but I think they set up the new season rather well!

I follow an excellent blog where they analyze pretty much every nuance of the show - Basket of Kisses / recently moved to: Mad Men Blog: Basket of Kisses | LippSisters.com

It's actually become a blog for other good shows as well.

I know I've said it before, but they make me watch the show differently!

Hit By Ban Bus!

Elizabeth Moss must have taken acting lessons over the long hiatus. Her line deliveries were much more natural and confident. I'm glad..for her and for all of us because at times her acting sucked balls.

At first I thought we were witnessing a dream of Sally's. Everything just seemed too neat, too pat, and a bit juvenile. Then everything got a little more real so now I don't know what to think, but the feel of the show is so different it's palpable. Not that I'm saying it's a bad thing, I quite enjoyed the ep. As usual, Roger got all the best lines.

Well, I loved it. Three people stood out the most to me...Joan, Pete, and Don.

!. Joan- She doesn't have the power that she use to in the beginning. In the first season, Joan was the sexy bombshell who had a bit of power in the office. She was the office manager and was sleeping with Roger. We know now that she doesn't get Roger, and she doesn't have the power that she once had. She's stuck with Greg who is a cruel bastard. She is also in her mid thirties. In the sixties, that's considered to be ancient. She shows up at the office and the current secretary doesn't know who she is at all. She has to tell her twice. Joan also finds out that changing diapers isn't as interesting as working in the office. In 1960 Joan had the ideal figure. By the mid to late 60's Megan has it. We go from Marilyn Monroe to Twiggy.

2. Pete- The young go-getter is now in the burbs with a wife who doesn't try as hard to please him anymore. He is upset that his wife drives him to the train station in her housecoat. He wants the way she use to be...fawning all over him and dressed to nines. Also, he is bringing in the clients and Roger is sitting on his ass. Roger is a partner and Pete is not. Pete is keeping up with the Joneses by getting the latest status symbol...a swimming pool. Also, he is gaining weight and losing his hair.

#. Don- He is now 40 and married to the sexiest woman in the office. He seems to be content with everything at the moment. Megan throws a surprise part for him that hates. The party invites people over and he can't relax with them around. At the party, he sees her hanging out and laughing with a group of friends her age. He is uncomfortable with their laughter. Is he the joke or is he too old to get the joke?
    Last edited by Janet296; March 27th, 2012 at 09:34 PM.
    Sasha, JazzyGirl and Trixie like this.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by stella blue View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one. It's like she's wearing those Bubba teeth they sell at the gas station.
    LOL! Or the actress got veneers too big for her mouth.

Hit By Ban Bus!

All great observations, Janet!

Did Pete and Trudy buy Don's old house? We only saw a bit of the kitchen but it looked awfully familiar..

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    All great observations, Janet!

Did Pete and Trudy buy Don's old house? We only saw a bit of the kitchen but it looked awfully familiar..
    Thanks. They didn't say one way or another but I think they didn't. I am not an expert on the NY area but I am guessing they moved to Long Island. Although, I have nothing to base that on.

Its like Don & Pete have completely swapped lives--except for the divorce (on Don's part).
    Even Pete's house looks like Don & Betty's old one.

I am going to watch it again and see what else I notice...I think it was all too much to take in just once. It's always the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Janet296 View Post
    Thanks. They didn't say one way or another but I think they didn't. I am not an expert on the NY area but I am guessing they moved to Long Island. Although, I have nothing to base that on.
    "Next stop Greenwich". Which is in Connecticut. Old money mostly.

Editing to add this link I found on a Mad Men blog site:

http://www.lippsisters.com/2012/03/2...ideo-essays-2/

Watch the top 5 moments - love this show.
    Last edited by JazzyGirl; March 27th, 2012 at 12:32 PM.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by JazzyGirl View Post
    "Next stop Greenwich". Which is in Connecticut. Old money mostly.
    We know from last season that Trudy really wanted to move to Greenwich. Sounds like they moved to a town near Greenwich but not quite there. I wonder if her Dad helped them buy it?

Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    We know from last season that Trudy really wanted to move to Greenwich. Sounds like they moved to a town near Greenwich but not quite there. I wonder if her Dad helped them buy it?
    Ah good call - Now that I think about that scene, was he going home or going to work? Going home we would hear the town announcement - but if we hear it as he is traveling to work means he lives ouside of Greenwich.

I would assume her father helped them, it doesn't sound like the salaries are huge at SCDP right now.

So I caught the second episode around 3 am last night (long story---vomiting was involved and a complete lack of sleep)......so I am not sure I was able to catch all that was happening.

The episode seemed vastly different from the first, and not just because it was almost all Betty. The new copywriter on board, and have no clue where that is going, maybe a Peggy hookup? The Rolling Stones thing was just weird in my opinion....and no Joan at all.

Any thoughts from anyone else????

Just a couple thoughts right now.

Fat Betty was hard to watch. I hate to say it but I want the old glam Betty back.

I agree the Rolling Stones thing seemed a bit out of place, yeah we get it, Don is 40 now and out of touch compared to his young wife. But Don talking to the young girl made me wonder if he was thinking about how that will be Sally pretty soon. Can't wait for her to start acting out more, lol.

Neither Megan nor Henry like or understand the bond between Betty and Don and I'm sure it will cause more conflict down the line. I think maybe Betty and Don don't quite understand it either. Yes, they have 3 kids together but I think it's more than that.

Not sure where the thing with the new copywriter is going.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD View Post
    So I caught the second episode around 3 am last night (long story---vomiting was involved and a complete lack of sleep)......so I am not sure I was able to catch all that was happening.

The episode seemed vastly different from the first, and not just because it was almost all Betty. The new copywriter on board, and have no clue where that is going, maybe a Peggy hookup? The Rolling Stones thing was just weird in my opinion....and no Joan at all.

Any thoughts from anyone else????
    I watched about 5 minutes of it, as I don't officially get AMC, but can view it on a very, very fuzzy, snowy screen. (Geez, felt like I was watching TV in the back woods in the early 70s with insufficient rabbit ears!)

Yeah, the Rolling Stones thing was weird! That girl backstage was flirting with Don. Peggy seems dead set against that new copywriter!! So does Betty have cancer?! From what little I could "watch", she was talking to another woman and saying how "it's made me gain weight". Then some gypsy woman came up and read Betty's tea leaves and told her how she was a "rock" and very important to the people in her life.

Well, Betty told Henry her tumor was benign, but we didn't hear the actual phone call.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Thread Information