Page 51 of 117 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101 ... LastLast
Like Tree488Likes

Thread: Mad Men

This show was absolutely wonderful last night. I think Joan blew it as far as handling that jerk. She went home and cried, which is okay but she said hateful things to the idiots that really didn't solve anything. There was no question about it, he should have been fired and the rest put on notice. Even for those times, sexual references were hardly tolerated when they came into the open like that drawing.

I also wondered if there was an inside joke about that pin Joan was wearing. That circular pin she had on was called a Virgin Pin. It was one of those fads like mood rings and were popular with girls in middle and high school.
    ...Stopped smoking on March 8, 2011. Was trying to put a fancy ticker in my signature but it didn't work...

Joan was such a bitch last night. She's so mean to Peggy. I am not sure I can even remember an episode where she's nice to Peggy. I agree that she's probably mad that Peggy is successful when she started out as a secretary.

Could Betty and Henry be more immature? Henry is obviously jealous that Betty has feelings for Don that she's trying to hide. Betty is a spoiled brat that doesn't know what she wants in life and no one will make her happy.

I think it's because Peggy, with all of her great intentions, undermined Joan. To the male staff, it looks as if Joan cried/whined to Peggy and Peggy took care of the issue (once again, proving Joan to be ineffectual and Peggy to be a shrew bitch, in her words). Peggy took up for Joan when Joan was perfectly capable of doing so herself. I think Joan had a different way of handling it - she even said that she could have gone to his accounts manager and after one dinner he would have been off the account. She had already brought it up to Lane and was angling for him to not be brought back. Instead, she was kind of undermined, making her look ineffective. Was that Peggy's intentions? Fuck no. But I think to Joan, it added to the humiliation, like she really was "all tits and no brains" and couldn't handle the situation herself. I think Peggy should have approached Joan first to give her a heads up. That said, Peggy kicked ass and I'm 100% behind her firing that piece of shit, regardless of the consequences. Joan will get over it, her ego is just bruised. Here she was, belittled, implied that her sexuality was all she was good for and that she was ineffectual and unneeded, and then in a weird roundabout way another woman goes and proves the guys' point (in her eyes). So I got where they were both coming from. Joan has worked very, very hard and is coming from an older generation now, she has clawed her way up and even though she is the backbone of the company, she still doesn't get the respect or the recognition she deserves. Now here is Peggy, more willing to jump in the ring and not follow Joan's rules, and she seems to be gaining ground and undermining Joan's role in the process. So get where both of them were coming from - I don't think either of them were wrong at all, just coming from two different places. Peggy should have given Joan a heads up instead of simply bragging about it to Joan ("I took care of that for you" kind of thing) and Joan shouldn't have acted like such a bitch and realized Peggy was trying to do good. I think Joan was just so upset by the guys (rightfully, I felt so badly for her) that she took it out on Peggy.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    I think it's because Peggy, with all of her great intentions, undermined Joan. To the male staff, it looks as if Joan cried/whined to Peggy and Peggy took care of the issue (once again, proving Joan to be ineffectual and Peggy to be a shrew bitch, in her words). Peggy took up for Joan when Joan was perfectly capable of doing so herself. I think Joan had a different way of handling it - she even said that she could have gone to his accounts manager and after one dinner he would have been off the account. She had already brought it up to Lane and was angling for him to not be brought back. Instead, she was kind of undermined, making her look ineffective. Was that Peggy's intentions? Fuck no. But I think to Joan, it added to the humiliation, like she really was "all tits and no brains" and couldn't handle the situation herself. I think Peggy should have approached Joan first to give her a heads up. That said, Peggy kicked ass and I'm 100% behind her firing that piece of shit, regardless of the consequences. Joan will get over it, her ego is just bruised. Here she was, belittled, implied that her sexuality was all she was good for and that she was ineffectual and unneeded, and then in a weird roundabout way another woman goes and proves the guys' point (in her eyes). So I got where they were both coming from. Joan has worked very, very hard and is coming from an older generation now, she has clawed her way up and even though she is the backbone of the company, she still doesn't get the respect or the recognition she deserves. Now here is Peggy, more willing to jump in the ring and not follow Joan's rules, and she seems to be gaining ground and undermining Joan's role in the process. So get where both of them were coming from - I don't think either of them were wrong at all, just coming from two different places. Peggy should have given Joan a heads up instead of simply bragging about it to Joan ("I took care of that for you" kind of thing) and Joan shouldn't have acted like such a bitch and realized Peggy was trying to do good. I think Joan was just so upset by the guys (rightfully, I felt so badly for her) that she took it out on Peggy.
    Right on January. Peggy should have just announced to Joan "I fired his a$$" and not made it like she did it for Joan and then walked out of the elevator. Nuf said. That would have made it final and pumped up her power.
    ...Stopped smoking on March 8, 2011. Was trying to put a fancy ticker in my signature but it didn't work...

Quote Originally Posted by eboni View Post
    Right on January. Peggy should have just announced to Joan "I fired his a$$" and not made it like she did it for Joan and then walked out of the elevator. Nuf said. That would have made it final and pumped up her power.
    Exactly. Joan obviously was extremely hurt by the "walking around looking like you want to get raped" comment (I wanted to pummel that piece of shit) and the drawing of her getting fucked by Lane. I think she already had a plan of how to handle it, rightly or wrongly. Peggy coming in and "saving" Joan just added to her humiliation and her insecurities. It's easy to stand back and say "Joan's such a bitch" but I can totally see where she's coming from. If Joan had gotten him removed from accounts on her own, she would have had the power again. Since Peggy came in, everything the guys said about Joan (in Joan's mind) was justified. If you notice, Peggy looked very smug in the elevator at first (I think she expected Joan to thank her and tell her she was glad she intervened in her behalf). If it had been a picture of Don on his knees blowing Lane, Peggy wouldn't have swooped in to save the day and would have trusted Don to take care of the situation. I think Joan expected the same. I do however think Peggy had all the right intentions and that should have been recognized as well.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Joan was definitely having a bad day and could have handled things better. The similarities she has with Laine are interesting, Joan is very cool, calm and collected most of the time. Joan does the "tough love" thing with Peggy. Maybe there is some jealousy of Peggy, but I think Joan and Peggy want two different things from life. Joan would happily be the suburban housewife. It was harsh, but Joan is giving Peggy survival skills. Peggy was definitely riding high after firing that guy, and she probably had every good intention, but she needed to be made aware of the fallout and perceptions from the rest of the office.
    ...of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

oh, and i laughed my ass off when Don told Peggy to 'Get Ray Charles in here' referring to his secretary. LOL
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

that secretary has grown on me

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    oh, and i laughed my ass off when Don told Peggy to 'Get Ray Charles in here' referring to his secretary. LOL
    Forgot all about that! Hilarious

I really don't care for the doctor, but i don't know why
    If you mean Joan's husband that's a dr., the reason you don't care for him is probably because he raped her. (Last season). He's a douche. I am glad he is going to end up in Vietnam.

I am also very happy that Don is getting his shit together. Drinking less and the only sex for him the whole episode was a blow job, which for him is really cutting back.

Betty wants him back, you can tell. She was so full of shit when Henry asked who invited Don to Gene's birthday party she made the comment that they had everything and he had nothing. Um, I think you're a little delusional Betty. It was so sweet when he held Gene up in the air and played with him. *Sigh*.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    that secretary has grown on me
    Oh yeah... I love Ida Blankenship!

About Peggy and Joan, as usual, January nailed it. I'd like to just add that I remember when Peggy first came on board. Joan ruled the roost in that office, and all females had to pass muster with her. Dress, behavior, work performance, everything. It must be a tough pill to swallow when some little socially awkward pipsqueak that you hired upstages you because she genuinely has more power now.

Joan made a success of herself by giving it everything she had in the approved feminine way in the workplace, and cultivated her social skills to an art. Probably had decent work skills when she started out, but used her charm, her cool control and her great ability to see the big picture and foresee & head off problems to really at the top of the game. What she couldn't prevent, she solved. She made herself indispensible and valuable, but the top of the game for a secretary is still pretty much a secretary. When you make it to the top, and you still have to put up with jerks who treat you with such awful disrespect, gawd, I don't know how women did it back then. I really don't.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Quote Originally Posted by angelais View Post
    If you mean Joan's husband that's a dr., the reason you don't care for him is probably because he raped her. (Last season). He's a douche. I am glad he is going to end up in Vietnam.
    no i hate Joans husband. he's a fucking rapist asshole. The blonde chick that Don went on the date with (the 2nd blonde) she's a doctor
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

no i hate Joans husband. he's a fucking rapist asshole. The blonde chick that Don went on the date with (the 2nd blonde) she's a doctor
    Yeah, I don't care for her either. She seems like a bitch.

Lighter note - Jon Hamm is all over TV this week. Regis and Kelly (though I hate the show I am DVR-ing it). I think that's today or tomorrow. Wednesday he will be on the Daily Show and Friday he is on Jimmy Kimmel.

Triple Dose of yum.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Jon Hamm is teh shizzle these days.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

yeah he seems like a cool guy

Thread Information