Page 49 of 117 FirstFirst ... 394546474849505152535999 ... LastLast
Like Tree488Likes

Thread: Mad Men

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    the problem is, he seems drawn to these smarter, independent, articulate women, but marries the bette types. what will be interesting is to see whether he marries again and to whom. it would be great if he could grow up and have an actual relationship with faye but he could just as well go down the same path and end up with the friend of roger's wife, the one he took to benihana and who's as much of a pampered airhead as bette.
    Well, he married the Betty-type once, and we all saw how that worked out. I really didn't think they were pushing anything but a deep friendship with Peggy, but then I remember the Don Draper character is partially based on a real ad man--Draper Daniels, and he DID marry his "Peggy." Soooo....who knows?

I Married a Mad Man - Chicago magazine - August 2009 - Chicago
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Wow, Trixie I had no idea about any of that.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

i don't think they're pushing anything but friendship with peggy, at least for now.
    i meant that he's drawn to these smarter women whether as friends (peggy, anna) or as lovers but when looking for a wife, he goes for the pretty airheads (bette, and that friend of jane's he's taken out a few times on 'proper' dates while sleeping around on the side).
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I want to know what happened to Sally's teacher...forgot her name. Don seemed genuinely attracted to her and he seemed to let his guard down. She just disappeared with the start of the new season.

The Faye/Don relationship sounds promising.
    ...of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Good ep. I can't believe Peggy chose her job over her boyfriend. I know her relationship with her family is not good; but i thought her relationship with her new boyfriend was progressing nicely.

This ep emphasized just how sad and lonely Don is. Peggy was right he seems to have no life or friends outside the office. The agency has become his life and if she is not careful. Peggy could become that way to.

I thought at the beginning that he was getting some control over his drinking, but he isn't. I absolutely hate drunk Don.

BTW the new short guy is getting on my nerves; I don't see him lasting long.

As for Peggy the minute Pete's wife mentioned that 26 is still young. I knew that this ep would allude to the fact that in those days, to be unmarried and career orientated at that age was looked upon as strange.

I personally don't think Peggy is a lesbian, but she definitely has issues with men IMO. I also believe that she is very career orientated.

The pain on Don's face when he found out about Anna's death, almost had me in tears. Jon Hamm is such a good actor. I hope that he gets an Emmy nod for this ep alone and that the ep itself is nominated.

The ep gave me so much to think about.

Peggy btw is such an interesting character.

Lastly...it was so sad when Don mentioned that Anna was the only person who knew the real me or something like that. I don't believe i've ever seen him crying before.

Quote Originally Posted by Abbey Normal View Post
    I want to know what happened to Sally's teacher...forgot her name. Don seemed genuinely attracted to her and he seemed to let his guard down. She just disappeared with the start of the new season.
    She got left in the car when Betty confronted Don about his past, I think he forgot she was even there. Later he called her and basically said they couldn't be together, at least not now. It seemed pretty final. I thought she could be psychotic anyway, I wasn't sad to see her go.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by cool girl View Post
    Good ep. I can't believe Peggy chose her job over her boyfriend. I know her relationship with her family is not good; but i thought her relationship with her new boyfriend was progressing nicely.
    really? there was absolutely nothing interesting about the guy. he wasn't smart or funny or interesting in any way. they didn't seem to have any chemistry or really anything in common. peggy wasn't herself around him and it's obvious he was just looking for a nice girl to settle down and play house with. and peggy went along with it because she thinks that's what she should want so she played the role - pretending to be a virgin, playing hard to get so he'll respect her, etc...
    the fact that he got along so well with her family was a huge red flag and i'm glad peggy saw that for what it was. what her mother said to her on the phone - that her work isn't important and that nice boys aren't exactly lining up to marry her - tells you everything you need to know about her family. they want her to take the traditional route. between the boyfriend and the family, they would suffocate peggy and suck the life out of her.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    She got left in the car when Betty confronted Don about his past, I think he forgot she was even there. Later he called her and basically said they couldn't be together, at least not now. It seemed pretty final. I thought she could be psychotic anyway, I wasn't sad to see her go.
    THANK YOU! I'd totally forgotten about that scene. I'm so glad that they run the Mad Med marathons, I really need to watch them 2 or 3 times to get all of the details.

Glad Peggy dumped the boyfriend, you could see how embarassed she was of him. Forget the boys for now Peggy...get a cat for companionship!
    ...of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

that lesbian was paying all the girls attention, doesn't make the recipient of her attention gay

and just look up warning signs of early masterbators/sexual provocativeness at an early age; its molestation/abuse.

^^^
    yeah, it's a sign but it has to be accompanied by a lot of other signs. a lot of kids masturbate early and weren't abused. i know, i was one of them
    as for sally, she could also be doing it because it's normal but she's confused about sexuality because her mother never talks to her about it except to shame her and tell her it's wrong. and i don't really see where she's being sexually provocative. other than the masturbation scene, the only other time she mentions sex is when glenn tells her her mother is doing it and she doesn't know what it is and after when she tells don's neighbour/babysitter that she knows what 'doing it' means and cuts her hair.
    i think she's just confused and unhappy and lashing out any way she can. but i think it's got way more to do with bette being a shitty mother and her parent's divorce than any kind of sexual abuse. i just don't see any signs of that at all.

MASTURBATION
    Masturbation is quite common in young children. In most cases, it is considered a natural, normal behavior in children of all ages. Children often begin masturbating at around eighteen months of age. Masturbation tends to peak when children are between the ages of three and five. It then declines in frequency until puberty.
    Many parents are surprised and/or shocked to find their children masturbating. Parents should keep in mind that masturbation generally causes no physical harm to their children. In most cases, problems result only when adults overreact.
    For parents to deal with their children's masturbation they must know when it is normal and when it might indicate some underlying problem.

Why Children Masturbate
    *Pleasure. Children learn very quickly that it feels good to masturbate.
    *Self-soothing. For many children, masturbation reduces tension. These children may masturbate when they are upset, tired, bored, or feeling stress.
    *Exploration. Many children will masturbate as part of the natural curiosity they have about their bodies.

What Parents Can Do
    *Ignore it. Masturbation is, after all, a normal behavior for most children. Parents can best handle it by treating it matter-of-factly. Parents shouldn't try to get their children to stop masturbating by punishing, threatening or scolding. If they do, they run the risk of giving their children the idea that their genitals are bad and/or dirty.
    *Remain calm. Parents should try not to overreact. They should also keep in mind that no physical harm will come to their children as a result of masturbation. If parents overreact, they may put fear into their children about their bodies.
    *Don't be surprised. Masturbation among young children is very common, and quite normal.

When Children Masturbate in Public Places
    Masturbation is something that should be done in private. Most young children, however, don't know the difference between public and private behaviors. In these cases, children must be taught. Parents should treat public masturbation as they would any other behavior that is not acceptable in public places, for example, nose picking. Here are some specific things that can be done to minimize masturbation in public places.
    *Explain. If parents discover their children masturbating in a public place, they should tell their children that is something that should be done only in private, for example, in the children's bedroom or the bathroom. Parents should use words like, "It's all right to do that in the bathroom or the bedroom, but not in the grocery store or when other people are around." Parents should try not to criticize, nag, or punish their children. They should treat the behavior matter-of-factly.
    *Offer alternatives. Parents should provide their children with something else to do with their hands while they are in public. They could also try to distract their children from masturbating by suggesting some other activity.
    *Be consistent. If children, for example, masturbate while they are at day care, parents should work out a solution with their children's day care provider. It is important that the behavior be treated in the same way by parents and by other care providers.

When to Seek Help
    On rare occasions, children's masturbation habits may be an indicator of other problems. Parents should consult their children's health care provider if:
    *Children's masturbation interferes with their social interactions.
    *Techniques to eliminate public masturbation have failed.
    *Parents have any concerns about their children's well being.
    *Parents feel that their children are possibly not masturbating, but scratching or rubbing the genital area because of discomfort. It may be possible that such children have an infection or a rash.
    *Masturbation is constant.
    Parents should keep in mind that in most cases, masturbation is a common, normal behavior in children. Very rarely is it an indicator of some other problem.
    www.parenting-ed.org
    Last edited by sputnik; September 8th, 2010 at 04:20 PM.

She's not being sexually provocative though. She was just touching herself. Kids do it at that age, and younger, and it doesn't mean they've necessarily been abused in any way. I never masturbated to completion at that age but I remember touching myself at that age, and realizing the spray of water felt nice down there when it touched a certain spot. It's just kids coming into their sexuality, realizing that certain things feel good. The problem is that her bitch of a mother taught her it's something to be ashamed of, which probably will culminate with Sally having all sorts of problems as she gets older. She probably will start dressing provocatively and looking for male attention to compensate for her daddy's lack of affection and also will probably not enjoy sex or withhold it because her mom taught her it was something shameful.

And of course she's confused about sex. Her father beds all kinds of women and I bet her mom hasn't been discreet with alluding to it in front of the children. There's a new man in her mom's bed and Glenn tells her they're "doing it" in a way that's bitter. Her mom doesn't tell her anything about sex, she's picked up on a few things from neighbor kids I'm sure. And the one time she finds something feels good, her mom gets angry and screams at her.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

sexually provacative as in hyper active sexually, which along with, not necessarily in accordance with, are sometimes signs of molestation.

how is she sexually hyperactive? she got caught masturbating once and she's not sexually provocative in any way. i don't know, alice, i think you're really reaching here. i just don't see it at all.

Totally normal kids masturbate when they think nobody is looking.

And Alice, you're so wrong. If a lesbian pays attention to you, it means you are TEH GHEY. Period. Everybody knows that.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

I DIDN'T SAY SHE WAS SEXUALLY HYPERACTIVE I'M JUST ADDING TO THE CONVERSATION!

i just know from experience, and dont you watch intervention? all the poor girls raped/molested as kids turn out like crap doing things like that which lead to drug abuse/etc. which is why i said i think sally is gonna end up like Jenny from Forest Gump

Thread Information