Page 31 of 117 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 465 of 1744
Like Tree488Likes

Thread: Mad Men

  1. #451
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    52,911

    Default

    just finished watching the season. i'd watched the first half pretty much when they aired then caught up in other shows and only now watched the rest.

    i love pete. well, i don't love pete but i think he's a fascinating character, much more complex than i thought initially and the actor plays him beautifully. i started off hating him, then one episode he'll do something that makes me warm up to him and then his spoiled brat rapey side comes out and i want to kick him but he's so well drawn that you can almost tell that at the same time that he's doing these things, he's also regretting them, but that doesn't stop him. his wife is also an interesting character. we don't see much of her but she does really well with the little screen time she has. at first she just seems like another spoiled socialite and it's like they don't have much of a relationship but then you realise how well she knows pete. when she comes home and he's eating cold lasagna or something and lamenting that ken got the promotion and all he got was a longer title, she comforts him but she also asks him if he lost his temper because she knows what a little brat he can be.

    as for don and the cheating and all the rest, i try not to look at the characters and judge them like i would if these same characters were set in 2010. they would all be assholes if that were the case. and i think that's the whole point of the show. the characters are complex and deep and not merely caricatures of the 60s. they are very realistic. some things might shock us but they are also very accurate. don's attitude towards gays didn't make him an asshole back then, it was just how things were. and i bet not even sal thought he was being that much of a jerk because he probably shared the same views and had a lot of self-loathing. this was before the concept of gay pride was even invented. same with betty's views on civil rights.

    and i love roger. he's hilarious. and he's a scoundrel but a loveable one.

    i also thought it was interesting to see don lose his cool more this season. he was moody and crabby to his staff, peggy especially. and we got to see more of the darkness and vulnerability underneath the cool exterior. that was interesting. it was also great to see him tell pete and peggy why he needed them to come work with him. you could tell that wasn't easy for him. especially with peggy.

    as for betty, i think january jones does a good job portraying her. like someone said, she's spoiled, depressed and self-centred, and emotionally and sexually frigid, not just with don but with her children as well. it was kind of interesting and almost endearing to see the moments when she'd sort of try to reach out to her kids but did it in these totally clueless ways like when she gives sally the barbie doll that is supposedly from the baby. you can tell she put a lot of thought into it but didn't come close to figuring out what was bothering her, and then in comes don who sees his kids 5 minutes a day and he actually listened to sally and figured out what her problem was in 5 minutes and pretty much got her over it in that one scene where the 3 of them are in the baby's room and he tells her baby gene is his own person and no one knows what he'll be like. but most of the time, the kids just exasperate her more than anything and she has no real bond with them.
    and the affair with the politician totally makes sense. she's never going to be self-sufficient. she doesn't want to. she measures her worth by how rich and successful a man she can get to provide for her. and the only reason she would leave an unhappy marriage is if she already had another man lined up, committed to marrying her and taking care of her. when she told the old dude she didn't want an affair, i didn't see it as her being honourable, i saw it more as she didn't want to debase herself by being a mistress. and at the time she didn't have enough of a reason to leave don so she didn't pursue it. after finding the pictures and realising don had lied (which i think hurt her ego more than her heart), she changed her mind and went back to the older dude, and then once he told her he'd married her, only then did she tell don it was over.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

  2. #452
    Elite Member msdeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    in a van down by the river
    Posts
    39,431

    Default

    aw Sput, i love that you brought this thread back to life. I cannot wait for next season to start.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

  3. #453
    Elite Member angelais's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Jon Hamm's pants
    Posts
    12,751

    Default

    I believe season 3 will be out on DVD in July and season 4 starts in August. Don Draper is the dreamiest man whore EVAR!
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

  4. #454
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,250

    Default

    Season 3 is supposed to come out on DVD March 23rd.

    Mad Men DVD news: Announcement for Mad Men - Season 3 | TVShowsOnDVD.com

  5. #455
    Elite Member angelais's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Jon Hamm's pants
    Posts
    12,751

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by visitor42 View Post
    Season 3 is supposed to come out on DVD March 23rd.

    Mad Men DVD news: Announcement for Mad Men - Season 3 | TVShowsOnDVD.com
    Well that's even better!
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

  6. #456
    Elite Member LynnieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    34,698

    Default

    Sput, I think you nailed the whole damn thing. And I too, love that someone else is thinking/seeing Mad Men, as I miss it terrible.

    My husbands Aunt (and I'm sure I've mentioned this previously, so I apologize, but it's worth mentioning again) is in her early 70's (a VERY YOUNG woman at heart/appearance) and she worked in NYC in Publishing in the 60's. She is a loyal viewer of this show and cannot even believe how incredibly accurate the ENTIRE DAMN thing is. In her opinion, its very credible and quite like the atomsphere of the workplace of that time. She said that she had frankly forgotten how far women had come in the workplace....and it made her soo thankful and glad.

    This is a woman that was previously the Editor in Chief of an enormous childs magazine and has a clue. So I tend to believe her saying that it was REALLY LIKE THAT back in the day..

    And I mean I fucking LOVE Jon Hamm.

  7. #457
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,250

    Default

    Thinking about Lynnie's aunt, the younger characters like Pete and Peggy would be in their early 70s today. I hope that when the show is nearing its end that they do some fast forwards.

  8. #458
    Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    you already know.
    Posts
    44,442

    Default

    wow lynnie, omg thats terrifying! i would and could not survive back then, wow, im so thankful to all those women who literally went to war everyday just by working for a living! it is amazing how times have changed, makes me a little teary eyed but still shocked. its shocking...

  9. #459
    Elite Member Aella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    8,899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    just finished watching the season. i'd watched the first half pretty much when they aired then caught up in other shows and only now watched the rest.

    i love pete. well, i don't love pete but i think he's a fascinating character, much more complex than i thought initially and the actor plays him beautifully. i started off hating him, then one episode he'll do something that makes me warm up to him and then his spoiled brat rapey side comes out and i want to kick him but he's so well drawn that you can almost tell that at the same time that he's doing these things, he's also regretting them, but that doesn't stop him. his wife is also an interesting character. we don't see much of her but she does really well with the little screen time she has. at first she just seems like another spoiled socialite and it's like they don't have much of a relationship but then you realise how well she knows pete. when she comes home and he's eating cold lasagna or something and lamenting that ken got the promotion and all he got was a longer title, she comforts him but she also asks him if he lost his temper because she knows what a little brat he can be.

    as for don and the cheating and all the rest, i try not to look at the characters and judge them like i would if these same characters were set in 2010. they would all be assholes if that were the case. and i think that's the whole point of the show. the characters are complex and deep and not merely caricatures of the 60s. they are very realistic. some things might shock us but they are also very accurate. don's attitude towards gays didn't make him an asshole back then, it was just how things were. and i bet not even sal thought he was being that much of a jerk because he probably shared the same views and had a lot of self-loathing. this was before the concept of gay pride was even invented. same with betty's views on civil rights.

    and i love roger. he's hilarious. and he's a scoundrel but a loveable one.

    i also thought it was interesting to see don lose his cool more this season. he was moody and crabby to his staff, peggy especially. and we got to see more of the darkness and vulnerability underneath the cool exterior. that was interesting. it was also great to see him tell pete and peggy why he needed them to come work with him. you could tell that wasn't easy for him. especially with peggy.

    as for betty, i think january jones does a good job portraying her. like someone said, she's spoiled, depressed and self-centred, and emotionally and sexually frigid, not just with don but with her children as well. it was kind of interesting and almost endearing to see the moments when she'd sort of try to reach out to her kids but did it in these totally clueless ways like when she gives sally the barbie doll that is supposedly from the baby. you can tell she put a lot of thought into it but didn't come close to figuring out what was bothering her, and then in comes don who sees his kids 5 minutes a day and he actually listened to sally and figured out what her problem was in 5 minutes and pretty much got her over it in that one scene where the 3 of them are in the baby's room and he tells her baby gene is his own person and no one knows what he'll be like. but most of the time, the kids just exasperate her more than anything and she has no real bond with them.
    and the affair with the politician totally makes sense. she's never going to be self-sufficient. she doesn't want to. she measures her worth by how rich and successful a man she can get to provide for her. and the only reason she would leave an unhappy marriage is if she already had another man lined up, committed to marrying her and taking care of her. when she told the old dude she didn't want an affair, i didn't see it as her being honourable, i saw it more as she didn't want to debase herself by being a mistress. and at the time she didn't have enough of a reason to leave don so she didn't pursue it. after finding the pictures and realising don had lied (which i think hurt her ego more than her heart), she changed her mind and went back to the older dude, and then once he told her he'd married her, only then did she tell don it was over.
    I agree with pretty much all your takes on the characters.

    Pete is terrible, but I can't help but find him compelling. There's a trainwreck quality to the character-you're at once cringing and wondering what he'll do next.

    I agree that the characters very much represent the era-even stuck in it. In a way the only characters moving forward with the times are Peggy and, oddly enough, Pete. He was the one who pitched the idea of targeting the black market to the TV makers. It was solely to make a profit, but the fact that the rest of the characters won't even overcome their prejudices for the bottom line speaks volumes (of course, this was preceded with the cringe-worthy discussion with the black elevator operator whose name escapes me, because it wouldn't be Pete if he didn't do something that made you wonder whether he had any concept of appropriate boundaries/social graces).

    I LOVE that Betty is a horrible mother. Her attempts at parenting make me laugh and laugh. And while kid actors annoy me, I liked Sally's character this season. Especially when Don brought the Barbie she tossed out of the room: UNDEAD BARBIE WILL GET YOU!

    In terms of other characters, I got a kick out of that public masturbator Paul losing his shit over Don recruiting Peggy into his conspiracy and not him. For all his claims to be a forward thinking man, Paul was such a pompous, misogynist, insecure wanker.

    I'm SO excited for next season.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

    "The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

  10. #460
    Elite Member msdeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    in a van down by the river
    Posts
    39,431

    Default

    i am excited for next season as well.

    my wishes for this season are:
    1. get Sal back (although i know he's off the show, one can wish)

    2. MORE JOAN

    3. I need more of the office adventures and less of Betty for a while.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

  11. #461
    Elite Member LynnieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    34,698

    Default

    I bet they DO bring back Sal.....just not initially. It'll be one of those well kept secrets and suddenly, there he is!

    And definitely more Joan!

  12. #462
    Silver Member Abbey Normal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the suburbs of hell
    Posts
    642

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    i am excited for next season as well.

    my wishes for this season are:
    1. get Sal back (although i know he's off the show, one can wish)

    2. MORE JOAN

    3. I need more of the office adventures and less of Betty for a while.
    This is my wish list too!!!
    ...of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

  13. #463
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,250

    Default

    For all his claims to be a forward thinking man, Paul was such a pompous, misogynist, insecure wanker.
    That was obvious from the first season, and even more obvious in the second. Joan had some great putdowns for Paul, and what does he do? He steals, copies, and makes public her driver's license.

  14. #464
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,250

    Default

    I got the third season DVD.

    I really don't like the British secretary who isn't a secretary. The financial manager might be cool: I liked the game he set up by having Pete and Ken be co-accounts managers. Their reactions were so different.

    Roger's reaction after walking into the meeting late ("this is a sad meeting") was priceless.

  15. #465
    Elite Member louiswinthorpe111's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Middle America
    Posts
    12,568

    Default

    Just watched season 3 on DVD and really can't wait for season 4.

    I really feel bad for the Draper kids. They have an emotionally distant, clueless mother, and their father, though attentive when around, will be out of the picture for the most part. And then they're stuck with the old man for a Dad, who will probably just ship them off to boarding school. Betty would love that.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •