Page 112 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1262102108109110111112113114115116 ... LastLast
Results 1,666 to 1,680 of 1744
Like Tree488Likes

Thread: Mad Men

I'd been wondering for a while if Pete might be the one who will walk out of this unscathed and better for it.

Interestingly, I've despised Pete Campbell since day one. Couldn't stand him. And last night I finally saw him as a decent person who's made some mistakes and wasn't raised to be kind and caring, but has somehow become so. Realizing not who he wants to be but who he doesn't want to be.

Don finally admitting what he did in the war, out loud? Huge. Finding acceptance in that from others in that seemed huge.

My goodness Kiernan Shipka has become a gorgeous young woman, hasn't she?
    JazzyGirl and I'mNotBitter like this.
    "Shopping tip: You can get shoes for a buck at the bowling alley."

A*O

Pete has finally grown up. He was an arrogant, cocky, selfish youth and is now approaching middle age with an understanding of the important things in life plus a little humility. If we weren't so near The End those bastard writers would have him killed in a Lear jet crash or something mean.

Betty's reaction to her diagnosis was interesting. She's decided to let the cancer take its inevitable course rather than fight a futile battle with treatment to buy a little probably poor quality time. She accepts her fate, Henry doesn't. Sally realises she will have to become "mother" to her brothers which could mean the end of her hopes and ambitions.

I don't think even the most indulgent employer would tolerate Don going AWOL and standing up important clients like this.

Joan needs to ride off into the Californian sunset with Mr Orange. She never made a very convincing advertising executive. Next time get a breast reduction Joan and maybe you'll be taken seriously. Sorry, but that's how it was (is) for senior women in business.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

What the shit did I just watch? I feel like it's a huge Fuck You from Matthew Weiner. I really hated the last scene--are you really just going to let a man like Don Draper Forrest Gump his way out of the finale?

I did like Betty and Sally's storyline, that was well done. But I just thought we'd get to see more Peggy and Joan. I don't really give a shit about Pete too much. Waste of time with the small town drinking at the Legion with the old-war-fucks.

I am dissatisfied.

*ok just realized this wasn't the final episode, so I've calmed down. A little. I still haz a disappoint and feel like it wasted a lot of time not moving the story forward and being underwhelming.
    Last edited by Beeyotch; May 11th, 2015 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    What the shit did I just watch? I feel like it's a huge Fuck You from Matthew Weiner. I really hated the last scene--are you really just going to let a man like Don Draper Forrest Gump his way out of the finale?
    Hilarious comparison even if it wasn't the finale.

I'm still pondering a theory I read (can't remember if it was here or not) about the whole thing being the great American novel written by Ken Cosgrove.

Quote Originally Posted by Bombshell View Post
    I'd been wondering for a while if Pete might be the one who will walk out of this unscathed and better for it.

Interestingly, I've despised Pete Campbell since day one. Couldn't stand him. And last night I finally saw him as a decent person who's made some mistakes and wasn't raised to be kind and caring, but has somehow become so. Realizing not who he wants to be but who he doesn't want to be.

Don finally admitting what he did in the war, out loud? Huge. Finding acceptance in that from others in that seemed huge.

My goodness Kiernan Shipka has become a gorgeous young woman, hasn't she?
    I haven't liked Pete, either. He's that smarmy, privileged kind of douche who complains and doesn't even know how privileged he is. But even though I see the change they intended his character to show, I just didn't completely buy his soliloquy--it's happened before and then other things happen to wipe it away and the same Pete returns. Maybe I'm too cynical or maybe Vincent Kartheiser's acting just didn't do it for me, but I couldn't suspend the disbelief about people like Pete changing. Not that much. I think a different version of the same shit will happen in Kansas.

*eta--if Kansas ever even happens. Who trusts a drunk with career decisions? That whole thing seemed dodgy and I can see it falling through.
    Bombshell likes this.

i think Pete has always wanted to be The Man, and because of people like Don and Roger, he never got to be. Now with this new job, he probably gets to be what he wanted to be all along.

and that's why i think it's a crash and burn and he'll die. I really can't even care, because the fucking series is almost over.
    I'mNotBitter likes this.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Silver Member

I don't buy the Pete career change either. I mean it was Duck who set it up and we know how reliable and trustworthy HE is! I hope Don goes back to be with his kids too.

I don't know what I think about the development in Betty's story line; seems like a chump way to end hers. I've thought for a while that Pete and Trudy would get back together.

The Mad Men marathon starts tomorrow..every single episode leading up to the series finale on Sunday will be shown.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

i'll be watching. (most of it)
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I think I know how Mad Men is going to end - Vox

A very interesting take on the ending there. I cannot copy paste the good parts out of the article, so to sum up, the series is coming to end near a very famous anniversary in advertising history. The article imagines Don returning to NY and McCann for one last awesome pitch, the Coca Cola song, "I'd like to teach the work to sing" .

They reference an obsession with the brand (can't say I've seen obsession, but certainly have noticed it the brand throughout the series). I love the idea in the article, prob won't happen, but it's so fun to hear these creative and interesting predictions. (Like the Ken Cosgrove novel theory).

I don't recall a series enthralling me like this one has.

Remember, the marathon starts tonight. Starting with Season 1 at 6 p.m, 5 p.m. central!!
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

JazzyGirl likes this.

Oh I have to schedule a taping! Sadly I have not seen even one episode because I wanted to catch it from the start. Will tune in. Thanks for the update!
    "Like when I host a party. I hope my guests get along. But if not, how interesting!"
    Andy Cohen

It's all on netflix except this last half of the season. I might channel surf by it.

Thread Information