Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Louis Theroux – America’s Medicated Kids

1) I felt the same as you GaPeach until I had a kid with ADHD. When he had his first parent/teacher conference and the teacher and I both cried because there was something most definitely wrong with this kid.
    2) I did not want to put him on stimulants because I was scared of them and went with another med to start with. By the time I got my head around him needing stimulants, he was calling himself stupid. He was crying everyday when I dropped him off, saying he hated school. Hearing your smart baby call himself stupid (and mean it) is hearbreaking. It took 2 years for him to stop calling/thinking of himself as stupid (maybe it is because it took the other kids this lonng to stop calling him stupid).
    3) I am honest with him letting him know that he has to find a way to deal with this. Society will not make exceptions for him even though in school right now they are willing (I won't put him on an IEP for this reason).
    4) The pendulum has swung the other way right now. At least where I am, teachers are not allowed to bring up ADHD. They can point out symptoms but, they can not make that connection for you or even make suggestions. I had to find a doctor that specializes in ADHD kids in order to get taken seriously because the regular doctors were not willing to listen to me or put him on meds. It was a total nightmare. I was treated like I was some crazed drug pusher.
    5) A lot of ADHD kids are behaviour problems. You would be too if everyone called you lazy and stupid when you know you are not. Also, by the time kids are diagnosed, a lot of damage has already been done. If I could take back all of the spankings, time outs, verbal abuse, I heaped on this kid because he wouldn't "mind" or "pay attention".
    6) It takes a lot of time to grieve the loss of your perfect child. It also takes a lot to time to forgive yourself for all of the crap.

Hit By Ban Bus!

^^ I still believe I come from a generation of baby boomers who believe in the quick fix.
    I'm not a fan of the era when teachers sent kids home and told the parents to put them on meds.
    I am sorry your going through a rough time with your child, I hope he out grows ADHD.
    So many children have problems these days, I don't know why but I do know it's heart breaking. My granddaughter has histiocytosis, I belong to a board where the parents talk about their symptoms and treatments.. we lost 5 children in January, 1 in March and we lost another baby 2 days ago. You get to know these parents and how hard it is for them. It's not easy, it's just not easy.

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post
    ^^ I still believe I come from a generation of baby boomers who believe in the quick fix.
    I'm not a fan of the era when teachers sent kids home and told the parents to put them on meds.
    I am sorry your going through a rough time with your child, I hope he out grows ADHD.
    So many children have problems these days, I don't know why but I do know it's heart breaking. My granddaughter has histiocytosis, I belong to a board where the parents talk about their symptoms and treatments.. we lost 5 children in January, 1 in March and we lost another baby 2 days ago. You get to know these parents and how hard it is for them. It's not easy, it's just not easy.
    I am so sorry your granddaughter has this illness. How horrible. It makes my plight with ADHD a little irrelevant I agree with you on the quick fix thing. That is probably why I resisted meds for so long. The one thing I have learned with parenting is don't judge. Everything I have ever judged another human being for I have had to deal with since having my son. Karma / Murphy's law, whatever you call it. It has been nothing short of a wild ride!!!

I don't know who he is at all. Where do I go to see these documentaries?

He's so attractive and smart looking. I'd love some private educating with him.

Gay?

Elite Member

There is now objective evidence via functional MRIs that kids with ADHD have anatomical and functional differences in their brains. There is similar evidence for depression, anxiety, and OCD.

My daughter has ADHD. She seems to have a touch of OCD as well. She takes medication during the school week for her ADHD. Until she started taking meds, she couldn't really learn to read or do math. It has been great to watch her grow up and see how she has blossomed with time and extra help. She is 15 now and she has also gained a greater understanding of herself and how she learns.

She is well above average in her intelligence and very insightful as well. Wonderful qualities I am not sure we would have ever gotten to see if we had not visited the pediatrician, developmental psychological, neuropsychologist, and finally, the pharmacy. We refused to write her off and let her founder in school.

I think some parents may be too quick to medicate. I was certainly not one of those parents. Over the years, I've personally known only 1 situation where I feel the parents were way too quick to put their child on medication. Maybe there are other situations I wasn't aware of.

I do believe that non-pharmacologic treatments like biofeedback, coaching, and other techniques work. The difference is that these cost far more time and money than pills. But it is not simply that it is easier for parents to give their kids a pill. Unfortunately, most parents do not have thousands of dollars a year to spend on treatments that might or might not work.

Furthermore, it is hardly just a matter of having my daughter pop a pill. We put in the extra time, as most parents of kids with ADD/ADHD do, to work with her teachers, her SPED liaison, and her doctor to make sure we are doing everything we can to help her. I personally have spent hours researching alternative therapies, and as a result, she has been taking omega-3s/fish oil since she was about 9 years old.

Most parents of kids with AD/HD also realize that they have to keep working with their children through adolescence and help them take ownership of their situation and learn to manage their own situation.

OOH I couldn't see the picture at work. He is a cutie!!! Good looking in a Steve Carrell kind of way.

^^^
    no, not gay. and yes, he's delicious. i mostly dl the shows but i think they're on the bbc if you have it.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Face View Post
    I am so sorry your granddaughter has this illness. How horrible. It makes my plight with ADHD a little irrelevant I agree with you on the quick fix thing. That is probably why I resisted meds for so long. The one thing I have learned with parenting is don't judge. Everything I have ever judged another human being for I have had to deal with since having my son. Karma / Murphy's law, whatever you call it. It has been nothing short of a wild ride!!!

nothing is irrelevant when your the one going through it and it's your child.
    I'm not against meds (although it's one of my many phobias) without vassapressin (sp) Lorelei wouldn't be here, it tells her how to process the water her kidneys need.
    In a perfect world children would never get sick.

Hit By Ban Bus!

His documentary on Westboro church (Phelps family) was really good

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I'm going to have to go with ADHD, etc being massively over-diagnosed and also massively over-medicated. Certianly there is a small percentage with real problems but I also see a ton of kids who are just kids but the parents freak because they're not perfect and start cramming pills down their throat.

Oh, and I love Louis. He makes great little documentaries.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information