Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Leah Remini's Scientology Docu-Series on A&E network

fgg

Leah Remini’s goal: get Scientology’s tax exempt status revoked

In case you’re not familiar with this background, the Scientology cult earned tax free status as a religion in the US the same way it counters just about every detractor: by gathering personal information about individual IRS agents, by using underhanded tactics including spies and surveillance, and by blackmailing people. This isn’t just rumors and speculation, it’s a matter of public record due to the fact that several Scientologists were put on trial and sent to jail for stealing from government offices and committing espionage in the 1970s. And those efforts eventually paid off for them, Scientology earned its tax free status back in 1993 after having it revoked back in 1967 for abuses. So Scientology has enjoyed over 20 years of amassing wealth by bleeding parishioners dry while making people work 12 plus hour days for slave labor wages, all while not owing a dime to the US government.

People used to be afraid of Scientology but that’s changed thanks to the Internet, thanks to protestors and to Anonymous, and thanks to very brave ex members like Leah Remini. Now that Leah’s Scientology documentary has finished up on A&E (she’s now in talks for a second season) she’s thinking of her end game and that involves getting Scientology’s status as religion revoked in the US.

When Leah appeared on ABC’s 20/20 just days before the season finale, it was revealed that talks of a second season are underway. But until a final decision is made, the self-proclaimed troublemaker has some plans of her own.

For starters, the former King of Queens star hopes the IRS will consider stripping away the church’s tax exempt status.

“By the IRS saying this is a religious organization, they are hiding behind now freedom of religion and they should take a look,” she explained. “I’m hoping there’s someone with some balls who will do something about it.”

After hearing several allegations of abuse and mistreatment from former members, Leah has also brought up the idea of having the police and FBI get involved. When asked for her fondest hope, the former co-host of The Talk expressed her wish that the legal system gets involved.

“That somebody is willing to be honest and say, ‘What these people are saying is true and I’m ready to prosecute,’” she shared on ABC. “We need that person.”

[From E! Online]

Wiki has a nice chart compiling the religious/tax free status of Scientology in countries around the world. While I was in Germany recently I saw a documentary on Scientology and they use these same methods in Europe of course including infiltrating government offices, using intel against people who work there, and generally doing whatever it takes to get their way. Leah is absolutely on the right track by bringing this up, and by bringing to light the way that everyday people in the cult are treated. The US government has a lot more to worry about at this point than this cult and its abuses but maybe once the dust settles and we see how much there is to clean up Scientology will be on someone’s list.

Cele|bitchy | Leah Remini’s goal: get Scientology’s tax exempt status revoked
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

damn right, tell 'em, Leah!
    louiswinthorpe111 likes this.
    "The wild, cruel beast is not behind the bars of the cage. He is in front of it."...Axel Munthe

What in the hell has she done to her face? She was on Conan the other night and I wouldn't have recognized her.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Our government has used tactics as slimy Scientology's, so don't look for their religious status to be revoked.

fgg

Leah Remini’s Scientology docuseries renewed

A&E Network has renewed the limited docuseries “Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath” for an additional 10-episode installment. The new season, says A&E, “will further explore accounts of former members whose lives have been significantly impacted by the Church’s practices.”

The announcement was made by Elaine Frontain Bryant, Executive Vice President & Head of Programming, A&E Network.

The hour-long series is cable’s #1 new unscripted series with A25-54 and Total Viewers in Live+7 for 2016.

The series follows Remini and former Scientology executives and Church members as they delve deep into stories of abuse, heartbreak and harassment experienced by those who have left the church and spoken publicly about their experiences.

“The critical and ratings success of this show speaks to television viewers’ increasing thirst for authentic and distinctive storytelling,” said Frontain Bryant. “Through Leah’s passion and perseverance she has boldly empowered so many people to step forward and we’re eager to share more of those compelling stories with a new season.”

“Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath” is produced for A&E Network by The Intellectual Property Corporation (IPC). Executive producers for IPC are Eli Holzman and Aaron Saidman. Leah Remini serves as executive producer for her No Seriously Productions. Executive producers for A&E Network are Devon Hammonds, Amy Savitsky and Elaine Frontain Bryant.

Leah Remini?s Scientology docuseries renewed | Page Six
    Bluebonnet, panic and Waterslide like this.

fgg

Leah Remini: I get scared every time I talk to a former Scientologist

The Hollywood Reporter had a reality TV roundtable discussion featuring Leah Remini, RuPaul and Kris Jenner, among others. I’ll just be covering Leah’s responses here but we’ll also have stories today on RuPaul and Kris Jenner, as everyone gave interesting quotes. There’s something about a roundtable discussion that encourages opening up, it must be similar to group therapy and I wish more outlets conducted these type of interviews.

Leah is working on the second season of her Scientology and The Aftermath show for A&E, in which she interviews former cult members. In this interview she talked a little more than we’ve heard from her about how hard that can be for her, and how she’s scared every time she talks to someone who used to be in Scientology. As a celebrity and member since childhood, Leah was somewhat insulated from the worst abuses and/or she was lucky. She said that while she’s not afraid of backlash from the cult (because she’s a total badass) she is scared about what she’ll hear from the former members.

On people understanding how dangerous Scientology is
    The Church of Scientology has been in the news, but more so for fodder and a headline. What we are trying to do is show that this is a real thing that’s tearing families apart. People really had no idea. It was like, “Oh, this is that crazy thing where Tom Cruise is jumping on a couch and everybody believes in aliens?” I think that worked for a very long time to sell headlines. But we’re showing how a person actually can get there, and that’s what’s resonating. Also, we’re standing up to a bully and, in a culture where people are feeling apathetic, we’re representing a group of courageous people who are saying, “No, I’m going to do something about it.”

On if she gets nervous
    I feel scared every time I sit down with somebody, even though I was in the Church of Scientology for 35 years. I was raised in it. I’m scared to hear what they’re going to tell me. [Question: Like, it's worse than you think?] Yes.

If she’s scared of the church
    Oh, no, no, no. Don’t misunderstand me. People who know me know that I have a very big mouth, and I have been that way since I was a kid. I would go up against men and go, “What, what are you going to do?” They were like, “I’d knock you out in two seconds.” I’m all, “Try it, try it!” But I never want to give the organization of Scientology the idea that anybody is scared of them. We are not. And the more they react in the way that they do, it makes me think we’re doing the right thing.

On if she’s brave
    I But it’s not me, that’s the thing. I wish I could say, “Look how brave I am.” I’m telling their stories. When we leave, they go back to their regular lives, and they are the ones the church goes after. When we air a show, I go, “Just know, within minutes your daughter is going to be saying horrific things about you on the church hate website.” Literally every single person who has done a story about Scientology has a hate website on them.

On if she vets the people she interviews
    It’s funny you ask that because when we started the show, legal was like, “Do you know this person personally?” I said, “I don’t need to know the person. I just know that they’re telling the truth.” I thought, “How dare you. This is not somebody who is getting paid to be on this show; there are repercussions to them being on the show.” And what the hell fame would they get from saying, “I was coerced by my church to get an abortion”? Or, “I was raped by someone.” … I mean, nobody really wants to tell that story. So there is no vetting. I take their word for it. [Per an A&E spokesperson: "Although Leah does not personally vet the participants in the show, the network and production company legal teams do carefully vet people and stories featured on the program."]

[From THR]

I really like how Leah frames this every time she’s praised for doing this show. She turns it around, says she’s a loudmouth and celebrity and that she doesn’t feel as brave as the people she interviews, who are bearing the brunt of the cult’s hate and harassment. Leah also said she definitely keeps in touch with the people she interviews and she makes sure she listens to their feedback and honors their wishes about how their interviews should be edited. Plus her team told her not to do this show and she did it anyway. She’s doing incredible work and thanks to Leah and so many former Scientologists who have spoken out, Scientology has been massively weakened. That’s also coincided with the growth of the Internet too of course. It must be nearly impossible for them to get new recruits.

Cele|bitchy | Leah Remini: I get scared every time I talk to a former Scientologist
    holly, panic, lindsaywhit and 1 others like this.

Season 2 starts tonight so look for it this week On Demand.
    fgg likes this.

fgg

Leah Remini: Tom Cruise Is 'Diabolical,' Not a Good Person

Leah Remini has another target in her crusade against the Church of Scientology. During a Reddit AMA on Tuesday, August 15, the actress was asked if her former friend Tom Cruise is a good person.

"No! Just going to get straight to it, no!" Remini, 47, responded. "There is a public persona of the guy who looks at you directly in the eye and shakes your hand and hugs you and is an attentive person to you and there's the person behind the mask who is a completely different person."

The King of Queens alum continued, "Someone could say we all have that — what we are to the public and who we are behind the scenes, but the people who are around Tom and work for Tom, not even people who are Scientologists, they will say he is diaboloical [sic]."

Remini noted that some people she has worked with in the past might say she "can be an a--hole," but claimed it's a different story for the Top Gun actor, 55, who is one of the most high-profile members of the Church of Scientology. "He's very similar to David Miscavige, they could be twins," she wrote, referencing the organization's leader.

The Kevin Can Wait actress, who left the church in 2013, participated in the Reddit AMA to promote the upcoming second season of her docuseries, Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath.

This isn't the first time Remini has spoken out about Cruise. "Tom and most Scientologists, all Scientologists, are taught to believe that people like me are literally the devil, that we mean them harm," she told Larry King in December 2016 before claiming that the church is "defrauding people out of their lives."

The Church of Scientology refuted the Troublemaker author's claims, telling Us Weekly in a statement, "Leah Remini has been obsessed with the leader of the Scientology religion and with Mr. Cruise for years, ever since she made a scene at Mr. Cruise's wedding when she couldn't get the seat she wanted. Remini is only commenting on these two prominent individuals to generate media coverage for herself and her hate campaign. Remini is bent on inciting hate and bigotry against a worldwide religion and its parishioners and she will stop at nothing to grab attention."

Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath returns to A&E on Tuesday, August 22, at 9 p.m. ET.

Leah Remini: Tom Cruise Is 'Diabolical,' Not a Good Person - Us Weekly
    Bluebonnet and Kittylady like this.

Season 2, Episode 5 - The Rise of David Miscavige

Emmy Winner Leah Remini Jokingly Forgives Mom For Getting Her Into ‘A Cult’
    Without that experience, she wouldn’t have made her award-winning series, “Scientology and the Aftermath.”

by Julia Brucculieri

Leah Remini just scored her first Emmy win.

Over the weekend, the actress and former Scientologist received the Creative Arts Emmy award for best informational series or special for her A&E series, “Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath.”

The actress thanked mom Vicki, who had brought her daughter into the Church of Scientology when Remini was a child.

“Mom, thank you. You are officially forgiven for getting us into a cult,” the former “King of Queens” star quipped in accepting the Emmy, according to Deadline. Her mother was in the audience to celebrate her daughter’s win, the media outlet reported.

Remini dedicated her Emmy to the “brave ones,” the former Scientologists who told their stories throughout the series.

“I’m so happy to share this,” Remini said, according to The Hollywood Reporter. “It’s not an easy job, but they were the ones putting their stories out there for everyone to hear. And we are honored to be the vessel to tell [those] stories. ... This belongs to our contributors, the brave ones, who are telling their stories.”

Remini, who left Scientology about four years ago, hopes to use the series as a tool to continue exposing the organization’s dark side.

“The way the organization has responded without taking responsibility for what they do to people, I need to continue,” Remini told The Hollywood Reporter earlier this year. “It would be another [scenario] if they stopped trying to discredit everyone’s stories and said, ‘If you don’t like it, don’t be part of Scientology.’”

Meanwhile, the Church of Scientology organization continues to dispute Remini’s claims about harmful practices within the organization. It even created a website dedicated to discrediting her.

But Remini won’t back down. She told The Hollywood Reporter, “Until the day I no longer have this platform, I won’t be silent.”

Emmy Winner Leah Remini Jokingly Forgives Mom For Getting Her Into 'A Cult' | HuffPost

fgg

i love this show. leah does such a great job connecting with everyone that shares their story.

The stories are truly heartbreaking. These people are absolutely brainwashed because no rational person would condone this behavior.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

There was something on ID channel last night about the guy who was Miscavige's right hand man who escaped. The stories he told were disturbing.
    maryk likes this.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    i love this show. leah does such a great job connecting with everyone that shares their story.
    I agree. And this (along with her celeb status) is what makes the show great. I think she's very aware that her experience could have been way worse, and feels a responsibility to others now that she's aware of the extent of the abuses, being that she was once a celebrity that once enabled this cult.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    There was something on ID channel last night about the guy who was Miscavige's right hand man who escaped. The stories he told were disturbing.
    I think there's at least 1 Deadly Devotions episode on Scientology I thikn that may be the one. It's terrifying!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information