Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Juno

Ok, did anyone else get the idea the Jason Bateman character actually had a thing for Juno and decided to leave his wife because he thought he had a chance with her? Didn't he say something to her like, 'I thought its what you wanted.' I totally got a very queasy feeling as I saw the Bateman character's 'crush' on Juno begin and grow. It made me squirm in my seat.

^^yeah, i noticed that he was crushing on her some.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Yeah, she was also crushing on him. Putting on th lipstick in the Previa right before she went to see him. I think she saw a lot of Bleaker in him.

I love this movie.

I think its SO funny. Seen it half a dozen times now. LOVE IT!

it's a bit too smart-assy but it's well written, well acted and funny. it's not exactly high on realism but i don't think that's really the point anyway.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    Ok, did anyone else get the idea the Jason Bateman character actually had a thing for Juno and decided to leave his wife because he thought he had a chance with her? Didn't he say something to her like, 'I thought its what you wanted.' I totally got a very queasy feeling as I saw the Bateman character's 'crush' on Juno begin and grow. It made me squirm in my seat.
    This also made me uncomfortable. But overall, I really enjoyed the movie.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

i definitely noticed it. and i think that's kind of the point. she kind of idealised him, had a sort of platonic crush on him because he was the only one that listened to her and acted like her friend. michael cera's character was too busy being a bit traumatised by the pregnancy thing and juno dumping him to be her friend. and instead of being the cool but still mature adult, he turned out to be a big immature baby that didn't have the balls to pursue a music career, you can tell garner's character was the one calling all the shots in the marriage and while that made him unhappy he lacked the balls to do anything about it. it took him until juno was almost due to finally have the balls to admit he wanted out.
    and yeah he did seem to develop a crush on her but i admit i wasn't really creeped out, more disappointed because i was fooled into liking the character too. really, he had the maturity level of a 15 year-old so in a way there wasn't that huge a gap between them.
    and the big disappointment he turned out to be forced her to grow up too and open up a little to those around her.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Yeah that part is a bit weird.

When they were dancing I was like "No.NO.NOOOO!

I've never seen it, but I just feel like it glamorizes teen pregnancy. Like it's ok to get pregnant if you're a teen girl, because your parents will support you, and your boyfriend will stay with you. So other girls will think their pregnancy will be like Juno's, and everything will be a-ok, and it more than likely won't be.

I dunno.

^^^
    why not watch it first before saying it glamourises anything. besides, it's really not a movie with an agenda, it's not 'crash', it's just a quirky little dramedy, not some public service announcement masquerading as film.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleWasHere View Post
    I've never seen it, but I just feel like it glamorizes teen pregnancy. Like it's ok to get pregnant if you're a teen girl, because your parents will support you, and your boyfriend will stay with you. So other girls will think their pregnancy will be like Juno's, and everything will be a-ok, and it more than likely won't be.

I dunno.
    I sort of got that impression too. Throughout the movie, everyone talks about how cool and unique Juno is. The few people who dare to disapprove of her or her situation (Bleeker's mom and the X-Ray technician) are ridiculed and reviled. The ugly side effects of pregnancy aren't really addressed and I just felt like everyone was very flippant about it. I really felt like the message was "It's not a big deal if you get knocked up at 16," and I hope that teenage girls realize that in real life, teen pregnancy isn't this cutesy, neat, easy, minor inconvenience that comes with lots of praise and admiration.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^^
    why not watch it first before saying it glamourises anything. besides, it's really not a movie with an agenda, it's not 'crash', it's just a quirky little dramedy, not some public service announcement masquerading as film.

Because I don't have money to go to the movies right now, and I'm just stating the impression I got, anyway? I know it's not a PSA. But it's unrealistic. I'm sorry, but being 16 and pregnant, wether it be by accident or on purpose... It's just not right.

^^^
    i definitely agree with you on the last part - in real life. but this is a movie we're talking about and i just don't think that movies have any kind of responsibility to set the example and only portray teen pregnancy in a negative and judgemental way - that's been done and done to death and it's na´ve to look to movies as a solution to teen pregnancies. it's like expecting coked up starlets to be role model's for youth. people write books and make movies to tell a story, it's not all cautionary tales and moral responsibility.

besides, realistic or not (and it's definitely not a realistic movie but that's not the point), teenage pregnancy doesn't just happen to inbred hillbillies and it doesn't have to be all jerry springerish.

I think it showed that not everything will be ok. It may have been quirky and silly, but she was definitely hurting at some point. It wasn't that easy for her.

Still, I imagine if they would have had her get an abortion and go about her merry way, people would be pissed too.

Well, the movie is definitely pro-life. My issue with the portrayal of it all is that teen girls may be, 'wow, it looks so easy to just find someone to adopt the baby. And, like, how cool would it be to find an attractive couple like Jason Bateman and Jennifer Gardner?'

I like the pro life message, and the 'responsible' choice Juno makes, but I don't think teens will see it that way. Hell, look at what the rags are doing with Jaime Lynne... she's on the cover of two rags right now.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information