Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Juno

Her angst was her snappy one-liners. Or rather, it was hidden by them. She put up a wall with them, so she wouldn't have to be vulnerable and admit that she really cared for Michael Cera's character. But I guess it was also just a hard-wired part of her personality too. I can see how that, however hilarious in a movie, may be unlikely irl.

Speaking of unlikely, I also thought her parents took the pregnancy news entirely too good naturedly and also unrealistically.

The only time the real gravity of the situation showed in that scene was at the end of that scene where her dad said "I thought you were the kind of girl who knew when to say when." It's the only time you can see the hurt wash all over her face at his disappointment. I loved that there was no one-liner there, only a powerfully honest "I don't know what kind of girl I am." Great scene.

Her angst was her snappy one-liners. Or rather, it was hidden by them. She put up a wall with them, so she wouldn't have to be vulnerable and admit that she really cared for Michael Cera's character. But I guess it was also just a hard-wired part of her personality too. I can see how that, however hilarious in a movie, may be unlikely irl.
    Yes I do understand that the witty one liners were suppose to represent Juno hiding her true self. But it was way overdone. Having her reply in quirky comebacks for every single occasion came off forced. Like "This Girl Is So Quirky!" Yeah, we get it already. Every remark seemed elaborately prepared. It took away from the realism and made her character less sympathetic in my mind. On the other hand, Cerra's character was perfectly written. He played his sensitive, awkward teen character perfectly. He's very talented. I'll watch him in anything.

It was a good film, just not all it's hyped to be. JMO.

But it was way overdone. Having her reply in quirky comebacks for every single occasion came off forced. Like "This Girl Is So Quirky!" Yeah, we get it already. Every remark seemed elaborately prepared.
    Yeah, I could see that.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Yeah, I could see that.
    Yeah, I said to my friend, 'Is that how teens talk these days?' Juno's irreverent speak was more like Jeanine Garafolo.

Loved the movie nonetheless. Bleeker... LOL.

I loved the ending, the song they were singing while the track boys ran by. Who sings that?

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    Yeah, I said to my friend, 'Is that how teens talk these days?' Juno's irreverent speak was more like Jeanine Garafolo.

Loved the movie nonetheless. Bleeker... LOL.
    She was exactly like Jeanine Garafolo! Hahaha, good catch! Wouln't it have been funny if Jeanine had played her mother. That definitely would have really been a bit much.

I liked that song at the end too Beyotch. I believe Michael Cerra really plays.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    I loved the ending, the song they were singing while the track boys ran by. Who sings that?
    Michael Cera and Ellen Page sing the version at the end, but the other version is by The Moldy Peaches.
    President Barack Obama
    Sounds amazing, doesn't it?

^^the moldy peaches

eta: nevermind, don'tmindme beat me to it.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Eli

1st half was boring, 2nd half actually made up for it (phew!). Was good.

What a great movie. I also agree, Juno was way more mature than I think most teens would be, and I also thought it was interesting that she was so dead set on giving up the baby (obviously the plot wouldn't function otherwise) but just judging from the young women I know who've gotten pregnant over the years, the decision is not nearly as cut and dried.

Overall, awesome. Funny, sad and cute all at once.

fourfour: So, I finally saw Juno...

So, I finally saw Juno...

...and I'm astounded to report that I didn't hate it! I know I'm months late with this, but I figure it's still relevant, what with last week's Oscar nominations and the fact that it crossed the $100 million mark at the box office this weekend. Since I tend to avoid criticism before I experienced the criticized, and since I tend toward the obvious, what follows may have already been said. But fuck it, you know?

Before Juno can even crack open that giant bottle of Sunny D, her namesake movie has already announced itself as fantasy. A PG-13* flick about teen pregnancy means that what we're in for from the start is far too polite to be real. No one says, "Fuck." No one fucks. Moan about PG-13 all you want. Moan that this rating makes the movie too absurd to do anything but masturbate at you (showing nothing good, of course) for 96 minutes. But it's unfair to hold Juno's falseness against it, even if the film tends to do that to itself. I feel like there's this internal struggle for impossible realness, which leaves Juno exhibiting the masochism of, oh, say, a pregnant 16-year-old who stays in school as she carries her baby to full term.

Diablo Cody's over-written, over-praised script drips of the kind of indie-cool quirkiness that I loathe: if regular teenspeak is matter-of-factly punk, Cody's version of it is Hot Topic. While listening to Juno and company blather on with their "Honest to blog"s, "fave"s, "home-skillet"s and "junk"s, I couldn't help but wonder if the whole point was to create an entry in the Inventive-ish Teen Lexicon category of scripts a la Heathers or Clueless. After all, we haven't had one of those in a while. It smacks of the kind of effort that Juno would probably fancy herself too cool for. That so much of this pseudo-cleverness is delivered by the film's cast breathlessly, as though snappiness is as much a byproduct of their existence as carbon dioxide, makes it all the more difficult to swallow. These people don't ever stop to collect themselves? But again: this is a fantasy. If it weren't, I feel like there'd be at least a bit more slapping mixed in with all the purported wit.

As annoying and unfunny as a lot of that whiplash dialouge is, I don't have a huge problem with it -- fine, fine, Juno wants to assert its individuality. That may be unsophisticated, but certainly, I've been there. What really doesn't sit well with me, slang-wise, however, is the frequent appropriation of what more or less originated as urban slang that's more or less associated with black people -- "Hells yeah," "Shiz," "You's a dick," etc. I know, I know: hip-hop culture has long pervaded into the suburbs, and I have no room to criticize that kind of appropriation. I'm not mad at the cultural overlap; I'm mad that it's so brazenly handled in Juno. There's otherwise no indication of hip-hop culture in the film (I'm pretty sure there's, in fact, not a single black character). Juno's into '70s punk, Mark (Jason Bateman), the perspective adopter of her child, is into '90s alternative, and Jason Reitman is seemingly into twee indie-pop of the past 10 years because it's ALL. YOU. FUCKING. HEAR. EVERYWHERE IN THIS MOVIE. A Prussian Blue tune is about the only thing that could make the music whiter. I know that the presence of Kimya Dawson on the soundtrack throws a wrench into the all-white-always thing, since she's...uh, multi-racial, I believe, but clearly what she does has nothing to do with hip-hop, either. The general tone just seems like: we're pillaging what we perceive to be black culture not out of any admiration, but just because, haha, we're white and it's funny when we talk black. It's just really gross to me, and I'm not even sure what the point of it all was. Was it to accurately reflect the habits of white kids in the suburbs? Doesn't the cliché follow that those who talk the talk also listen to the source material? And if they don't, why are we supposed to find them endearing instead of despicable? I'm sorry to be Whitey McDown here, but it just all seems so cluelessly disrespectful.

(And while we're on the topic of music, if Juno's slang became like nails on a chalkboard, the nonstop indie-tweeness was like nails puncturing my eardrums. Oh my god, it was fucking hell.)

As racial ickiness was a thread throughout the film, so was Juno's smart-assiness. She's such a know-it-all, with her machine gun tongue that shoots out quips, that I delight in finding her wrong. I can't be the first person to point out that Juno was not, in fact, Zeus' wife, as claimed in the film, but Jupiter's -- Zeus is Greek (his wife was Hera); Juno and Jupiter are Roman. How could someone who's sharp enough to reference Seabiscuit not know the origin of her own name?

(Oh, and neither the The Wizard of Gore nor Suspiria are slasher movies, as also claimed by Juno. The lesson? If you want to act like a cool kid, you need to study like a geek.)

I know that my set-up here aims to praise the film, and I've just spent the last howevermanyhundred words tearing it down. Really, a lot of the bad about Juno didn't really get in the way from it charming me. Ellen Page has yet to prove that she can do anything but turn broad characters into total cartoons, and yet, she exhibits a sweetness that makes her witticisms at least slightly more palatable. She has, at least, entirely made up for Hard Candy in my eyes, which is no easy task considering that I was ready to hold that travesty against her forever. Cody's script, similarly, might float on an eye-rollingly corny lexicon, but it does have a knack for finding comedy by manipulating the obvious (for example, early on, Juno says she's considering getting an abortion at a clinic called Women Now "'cause they help out women now"). Mostly, I love that for all of its flash and trash, Juno really isn't too cool for school. The most sympathetic characters, Paulie (Michael Cera) and Vanessa (Jennifer Garner), don't talk like they just came from screen-writing class. Juno praises Paulie for his effortless coolness (hopefully, in doing so, she realizes that she could learn a thing or two from him), and Vanessa gets nothing but respect from Juno, despite the fact that she's an uptight and barren shrew. A lesser movie would have mocked Vanessa's bourgieness, or made an ass out of her for being so square. Juno lets her be what she feels she was made to be: a mom. And when she finally has that baby, her baby, in her arms, the movie stops being about Juno entirely. It's only temporary, but it's still much, much more mature than I was willing to give the film credit for. Enduring everything annoying about Juno made the ultimate surprise so much sweeter.
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

Eli

Honest to blog?

Yeah, I love FourFour. His take on the cooler-than-thou tweener hipsterisms was entertaining. It put me off too in any part of I saw of it (ads, previews), but I would still see it. I really enjoyed Cody Diablo's book on stripping, so I'm still hoping for the best with what's onscreen.

ETA: I believe it was her book that taught me the term "hooker in a fishbowl" to refer to her sex work in a peep show. For a winner like that, I at least have to give her screenwriting a shot.

Amazon.com: Candy Girl : A Year in the Life of an Unlikely Stripper: Books: Diablo Cody
    Last edited by ariesallover; January 30th, 2008 at 03:23 PM.
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

I wasn't crazy about it. I watched about half of it online, and ended up turning it off. It wasn't that I didn't like it, but more like it just couldn't keep my attention and I didn't like any of the characters enough to actually care what happened (except for Vanessa- she was the only one who displayed any emotion). I kept waiting for it to live up to all the hype and it never did, so I got tired of sitting around wondering when it was going to get better.

I felt like they overdid it with the Juno character... I was surprised to see how many people thought her behavior was cute or "quirky." The only word that comes to mind for me is "obnoxious." Or maybe "rude." Her (lack of) manners and sense of entitlement were appalling.

It annoyed me to see the way that she talked to adults (the Lorings and their lawyer, for example), subtly putting them down, ignoring them, cutting them off, rolling her eyes, or responding to their questions with snarky one liners, and NO ONE seemed to have a problem with it. I kept waiting for Vanessa Loring, or Juno's own dad, to be like "What's your fucking problem?!? There's something called respect- LEARN IT." After a while, her whole "I don't give a shit about anything" attitude got really old.

I seriously hope that this isn't the kind of girl teenagers are going to start emulating- an empty, selfish bitch who patronizes adults with a self satisfied smirk on her face and is so devoid of emotion that she inexplicably has sex with a friend out of boredom. It bothers me that she's being touted as this cool, hip, modern girl. She was trash.

I also felt that they should have done a little more to emphasize the relationship with Bleeker. Michael Cera is so talented and I feel like they really wasted him in this film.

Also, am I the only person who thought Juno was sort of butch? I wouldn't have been at all surprised if they had revealed at some point that she was actually a lesbian.

I think they should have made her a little softer, a little more feminine. If Juno displayed even a hint of emotion or compassion for anyone other than herself in the entire first half of the movie, I think it might have been tolerable.
    Last edited by southernbelle; January 30th, 2008 at 03:27 PM.

We finally saw this movie last night. I can't believe how much I loved it. Allison Janney (sp) was amazing!! Everyone did such a fantastic job in this movie. Loved it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information