Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Intervention

Bronze Member

ok...going to watch my dvr of this episode of intervention...
    love this show!!!

Bronze Member

wow! i don't know if i can begin?
    first i have a lot of damage from friends... cutters, buliemics, addicts..this one tugged my heart but more so b/c of the mom...she's in the exact same profession that the cutters mom is in..
    i admit..i dont get it. i want them to snap out of it already! i'm a bit depressed after seeing that episode.

It is very depressing. and hard to understand.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

^ um yeah, actually this show has made me less sympathetic to ppl who have harmful addictions to drugs, booze, and stuff like that... is that wierd?!

i dont know, maybe i OD'ed on this show!

A*O

The show has really opened my eyes to the amount of enabling these addicts receive from their families and friends. In almost every single case (I haven't seen the new season yet) there's a parent or partner giving financial and moral support and most of them can't see they are equally to blame for the whole situation. I know it must be very difficult to see your own child spiralling out of control into any kind of addiction, but you don't 'suddenly' become an addict - it takes time (and money) to get to the point where an intervention is the only answer.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I agree A*O when we saw how bad it was getting with my brother we threw his ass into what he calls a nut house it was the closet thing to rehab they have around here it's basically a psyche ward. but he got the message to a degree i also told my mom no more money now he's working and has as far as i can tell quit all the hard stuff he still smokes weed which I don't think he will ever give up and he still drinks but I've noticed even his drinking has went down considerably being no one is helping him pay his bills. My mom had a hard time with not helping him but she finally saw she was hurting him more than helping him. At some point you just have to say that's it and if they aren't willing to help themselves walk away
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

A*O

Enablers are also incredibly naive about what the money they give addicts is being spent on. Despite all the promises it's not the rent, it's not for diapers, it's not for gas - it's for drugs/booze/gambling/whatever. Addicts are up and down liars and will say/do ANYTHING for some $$$. Interesting that when your brother's money supply dried up, he had to modify his habit(s) too.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

^ yep and part of it is denial as well and/or just plain getting tired of dealing with the addicted person (which i noticed in both the new shows of this season it was the dad who got tired of the addicted person and hardly tried to help that person at that point - shows the character of men imo), for example the bulimic that i knew who passed away b/c of the disease - her whole family was in total denial and only her mom tried to comfront it but the problem was that she was a devout catholic who prayed about the problem and made her daughter too to no avail of course and they threw her in hospitals at UCLA a couple times too but it didnt stick i guess, but yeah the whole family was in some kind of warped denial - it was the wierdest thing straight out of the twighlight zone for me to be around this family going about their business in front of the tv and at the dinner table while their daughter was in the bathroom filling the bathtub up pretending to take a bath while she clogged the toilet with her puke and made it overflow. the mom runs in after banging on the door a while and tells her daughter to pray...so back to my point; i think a lot of these families are in severe denial and/or just dont have the energy to care anymore sometimes.

My cousin was an addict and committed suicide two years ago. His mother acts like something else happened . . . even though he hung himself. She won't acknowledge it.

These intervention shows all seem to follow the same addict script: something in their past haunts them, they take whatever drug/bad coping skill and use that to run from it, and things fall away one by one. they drop out of school, they lose their job, they move in with their parents, they steal money/ho themselves out . . .

The oxy addict that was on last week was a dick. I thought he was too into himself to get clean. and big shock, he didn't.

The girl who was a heroine addict/ho/ pissed me off. Cause she started heroine AFTER she had her kid. That makes it extra crappy.
    but she seemed to get clean so good for her.

Bronze Member

one of my friends is a cutter, and also bi-polar recently diagnosed..i try to be sensitive, but i dont think i am.. i dont get it and i dont get why people go off meds and why they continue in the same pattern if they are claiming to want help. do something different i want to scream! i have found its best to not address the cutting and everytime she "goes off her nut"....i just repeat...go see the shrink. i dont know what to do. but sometimes i
    will admit...i feel good b/c i think ...damn i'm sane as hell compared to you. thats wrong i know. but its true!

You prolly are doing great compared to her. it took me a long time to understand cutters. Basically what I've gathered is that it provides some kind of physical release to help them escape their mental pain.

I am a bp and going off meds is something a lot of bps do at different times in their lives. Of course it causes problems and some bps are more stubborn than others. Maybe your friend can visit about.com bipolar forums. they help a lot.

do you guys know if theres any way I can see the new episodes online? I didn't realize the new season had started......I thought it was still on Sundays

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by olivia720 View Post
    You prolly are doing great compared to her. it took me a long time to understand cutters. Basically what I've gathered is that it provides some kind of physical release to help them escape their mental pain.

I am a bp and going off meds is something a lot of bps do at different times in their lives. Of course it causes problems and some bps are more stubborn than others. Maybe your friend can visit about.com bipolar forums. they help a lot.

she has only just admitted that she was bipolar, i saw it from a mile away, but thankfully she found a new dr who diagnosed her correctly and is on the right meds.

as far as the cutting- have you ever heard of anyone cutting then photographing the result and sending it out via email? from what i've read thats very unusual ...most are secretive.

I've never heard of anything like that. Who is she sending the pics to? Sounds like she's looking for attention big time. But that might be part of her psychosis. She may not have a grip on reality.

A lot of bps really want to be noticed/famous when they are manic (I went through this myself). I don't know how sane she is right now but it sounds like she sure isn't stable.

Bronze Member

she's sending them to me for sure, dont know of anyone else, though i wouldnt doubt it.
    she does admit to really low self esteem and got super excited b/c the dr told her and i quote..."i've seen a lot of cutters, but none did a hack job like you" and she got a compliment out of that. she was thrilled she got the compliment. the cutting has only started recently..well within the last 8months? you should pm me olivia!

Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread Information