Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Intervention

Default The A&E show Intervention! This guy sucks!

OMG this guy on Intervention tonight is driving me NUTS. He is such a self centered asshole. He's a chronic gambler and he's borrowed so much from his parents, they had to sell their home! And they keep giving him money!

And he's not even grateful. He still acts like a shithead! His sense of entitlement is the worst I've ever seen!!

He's 30 y.o. and has an IQ well into the genius range. He graduated college at 14. And he has a Phd. So being the "genius" that he is, he left all that for a career in "entertainment". So of course that didn't pan out. Now he's homeless and blames everyone but himself.

"When you decide to have kids you're responsible for them for life" he says. Uh, are you nuts?? Your parents shouldn't have to pay for yo' 30 year old ass! He seriously doesn't even feel bad about all the money he's taken from people?? He's lost over 500,000 in the past six years!! What is wrong with his family/friends that they gave him money for so long? Why won't he get a job?

Of all the other addicts they've had on this show, this one sucks the hardest!

Elite Member

This show bugs me and I rarely watch it. I think it's because I have a cousin who's a drug addict and she annoys the holy f*** out of me. She's such a user. She's a liar, cheat, bullshitter and yeah, I'll say it, she's a tramp and a rotten mother. She has one 2 year old son she doesn't even know who the father is and she sleeps around like some slut due to her drug problem. I can't stand to be around her. I hate it the way some of my aunts totally cater to her because she's the black sheep of the family so she's the 'focus'. They're all afraid she's going to die one day and that she has such a dangerous life so they baby her beyond belief (because of that fact). Whenever she shows up at family parties she's half loaded on liquor and meth and I'm really beginning to think she's shooting up too. She always wears long sleeves now and she spends forever in the bathroom at my grandmother's house. When she walks in family parties or events you should see how some of my aunts react. They run up to her like she was Mother Teresa. They shower her with kisses and tell her how HAPPY they are to see her and for her to stay closer to the family. And I think to myself, "Uh, what about the other nieces and nephews who AREN'T on drugs who have always been good kids? You never tell them that".

This cousin of mine has stolen from family members (myself included), gotten kicked out of the house by her own mother and lost her past 3 jobs because she's stolen from work or she just continuously calls in sick or is tardy. I've lost count of the number of times she's been in and out of rehab. She doesn't even care for her own infant son, so her mother (my 60 year-old aunt) is basically raising him for her. To put it in a nutshell, my cousin is a 33 year-old loser who is sucking the life out of my aunt and anyone else who allows her to. It would be one thing if she was on drugs and low key, but she's one of those chemically dependent persons who's really cocky and arrogant. The drugs give her this alternate personality that makes her want to act like she's superior because deep inside I think she feels so much self-loathe. She's a smart-ass and self-centered litle bitch with the rest of us cousins. Probably because she senses our feelings towards her--that she's a disgrace to her mother, our grandmother and our family. She's digging her own grave and frankly, I think there's NOTHING any of us can do if she doesn't want help. I refuse to be part of that whole co-dependent game, trying to 'save' a grown woman who doesn't want any help to begin with.

I can't stand drug addicts. I think they suck the life out of families and I do think their addiction becomes the focus of the family unit and it's totally unfair to other children/family members. Reward and shower love to your good kids/grandchildren too, not just those who've gone astray and you're afraid they're going to 'die' so you tell them every chance you have how much you love them.

It's a sick, sick disease.
    Last edited by PrettyGirl; November 27th, 2006 at 12:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by olivia720 View Post
    OMG this guy on Intervention tonight is driving me NUTS. He is such a self centered asshole. He's a chronic gambler and he's borrowed so much from his parents, they had to sell their home! And they keep giving him money!

And he's not even grateful. He still acts like a shithead! His sense of entitlement is the worst I've ever seen!!

He's 30 y.o. and has an IQ well into the genius range. He graduated college at 14. And he has a Phd. So being the "genius" that he is, he left all that for a career in "entertainment". So of course that didn't pan out. Now he's homeless and blames everyone but himself.

"When you decide to have kids you're responsible for them for life" he says. Uh, are you nuts?? Your parents shouldn't have to pay for yo' 30 year old ass! He seriously doesn't even feel bad about all the money he's taken from people?? He's lost over 500,000 in the past six years!! What is wrong with his family/friends that they gave him money for so long? Why won't he get a job?

Of all the other addicts they've had on this show, this one sucks the hardest!
    He was so abusive toward everyone, especially his parents. He truly doesn't get it, and sadly, never will. I think his former friend summed it up best: "He hasn't learned a thing, and neither have his parents."

I wanted to punch him in the face.

A*O

We just had the show with the heroin junkie/ho and the former finance company VP/cocaine addict who had lost EVERYTHING and was sleeping by the pool at a friend's condo. Both went into rehab and both completed the program and a few months later were OK but I wouldn't trust either of them to slip back into their old ways. That's the problem with addicts, you can never trust them.

I make my kids watch this show because it illustrates how many addictions there are and how easy it is to become a victim and how it totally fucks up your life and your family's life too. Their reaction to all the people shown is "what a Loser!" which may be unfair in some cases but if my kids enter their teens with such distain for people who choose to make BAD decisions then I'm all for it. We discuss how that person may have ended up needing in intervention and all the surrounding issues and it's a really useful way to talk these things through with your kids while watching real people fucking up their lives - it's a powerful message.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

He just has to be nuts on some level (Gabe the Gambler). He's at the very least a narcissist, and cannot control his rage. He has to have some kind of chemical imbalance.

I think his mom keeps bailing him out cause he'll basically committ suicide if they don't. nice blackmail.

He was so abusive toward everyone, especially his parents. He truly doesn't get it, and sadly, never will. I think his former friend summed it up best: "He hasn't learned a thing, and neither have his parents."

I wanted to punch him in the face.
    My sister pointed out that he might be gay. No girlfriends of any kind in his life history, and his two friends may have been boyfriends. Who knows. That adds a whole other layer.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

OMG tonite's episode with the bulimic from oregon and the pill-popper from texas is the best one yet! I cant take my eyes away!! I say they're both going to die...sooner or later sadly.

A*O

The intervention itself is interesting. It always follows the same script "You know I love you, I worry about you, please get help, blah blah" but the family and friends never seem to go in hard with the stuff they 'rehearse' beforehand like "I you carry on like this you are no longer welcome in my home" "I am not going to give you any more money" "If you end up in jail you are on your own" or if they do say it the Addict du Jour chucks a tanty and the family just caves in. I know it must be hard, but you wonder if the interventionist person actually explains to the family how clever and manipulative the Addict is, especially when cornered, and they must expect all the drama and ignore it.
    Dame Edna Everage

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I don't know KD. I think there are Addictive and Non-Addictive personalities out there and it's genetic. I know that many alcholics learn their drinking behaviour from their family if they live in among alcoholics, but I firmly believe there's a genetic predisposition to alcoholism, although it's never been proved.
    I definitely believe that there are addictive personalities-I should know, I have one of those. My dad's an alcoholic, along with my grandpa, great grandpa and pretty much every male from his side of the family. Now, I've never let my own drinking spiral quite this much out of control, but I noticed a tendency to drink just for the purpose of getting drunk, and I have to make twice as much of an effort to hold myself back and carefully count every single drink I have.

I also smoke like a chimney, drink way too much coffee, and had my brushes with drugs and food issues when younger. So the genetic predisposition definitely exists-but it's predisposition, rather than an imperative. What you chose to do about it is entirely up to the individual.

the bulimic girl, who has got to be one of the worst bulimics I've ever seen, seemed really selfish. And wow, she was bad off. I mean, having to strip to pay for food to throw up?? How f'ed up is that?? And she said something like, it wasn't that bad. And she looked really pretty and normal. I just can't beleive the sheer volumes of food she was ingesting!

The other woman, the pill popper, seemed really selfish too. And she was out of it the whole time. She looked ten years older than she was. I felt sorry for her kids. her oldest daughter seemed so tired of her.

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by olivia720 View Post
    the bulimic girl....seemed really selfish.....The other woman, the pill popper, seemed really selfish too.
    That's really how all these addictions start out. They want to feel good about themselves and choose an addictive substance (food, drugs, gambling, alcohol) that does the job best for them. I do sympathise with junkies in as much as they are mostly helpless to help themselves, BUT I am also very impatient and contemptuous - at some stage early in their addiction they made a conscious choice to follow this self-destructive path.
    Dame Edna Everage

I agree, A*O.

Something about these particular people tonight seemed more selfish than usual. And the bulimic girl seemed more in denial than most addicts they have on there.

A*O

I saw the show with that poisonous little shit Gabe The Gambler the other day (we get the shows later here in the colonies) and it struck me that apart from having a pair of totally spineless, indulgent parents who are in total denial, he would probably be a lot happier with himself if he just comes to terms with the fact that he's obviously gay.
    Dame Edna Everage

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

yeah if I were Gabe's parents; I'd shot him years ago; whatta little bastard!

I briefly considered trying to sign up my crackhead sister-in-law, and even visited the website, but then changed my mind. Her own parents aren't ready for that. They would cave in an instant. They keep thinking she'll get it together, but this has gone on for YEARS............
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I saw the show with that poisonous little shit Gabe The Gambler the other day (we get the shows later here in the colonies) and it struck me that apart from having a pair of totally spineless, indulgent parents who are in total denial, he would probably be a lot happier with himself if he just comes to terms with the fact that he's obviously gay.

HOLY SHIT---I caught that episode and by the end of the show my head was about to explode. That 'guy' was the WHINEST, most self centered, freak show I had ever seen. I couldn't believe his parents had actually sold their home to pay for (some of) his gambling debts and CONTINUED to feed into his bag of bullshit. Only to find out this dude is like some MENSA member who graduated from freaking COLLEGE at 14. WTF? What the hell happened there??? That was unreal---all of it. Everything was so very wrong in that episode....all of em needed to go away for awhile and get some serious intense therapy.
    And yes, he was obviously gay.

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread Information