Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Intervention

A*O

Watching the royally fucked up people on this show certainly puts my own "problems" into perspective. I wish they would do some proper follow-ups on how these people are doing much later down the track, both those who went to rehab and those who didn't. I suspect that will be pretty depressing too.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

They are as scary as they are depressing. I also can see some of myself in some of the people, especially the 'me' of 2001-2003 or so. It is almost traumatizing to watch the actual interventions when the family members/friends break down and all.

It makes me also thankful that I did not continue like an express train down the path I was on, when I see people who did just that-right down the self destruction line express with no stops whatsover.

In a way, getting arrested and convicted (twice!) was kind of an 'intervention' in and of itself for me I guess. I think alot of these people just need to get arrested and have to pay the price for what they are doing. It sucks but it sure is a wakeup call when all of a sudden you are in jail, in court, on probation for several years, standing up in court and having your sentence read out by the judge..knowing that you have to show up at a certain time and serve a jail sentence..waiting for that date with dread, etc. etc.

"Consequences" can often save a person's life.

*and after watching these, man I am so grateful I never used illegal street drugs like coke or herion, meth, etc. I am so grateful for that. Much much scarier than alcohol, eating disorders, or just about anything else they have on there. ..Plus, they are all illegal so you have that whole part of it to deal with-the illegal substance 'subculture' and the constant threat of being in violation of the law. Just scary as hell.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

A*O

I also wish the show shone a brighter spotlight on the enablers who are almost always the same people in tears pleading for their loved one to "get help".
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I also wish the show shone a brighter spotlight on the enablers who are almost always the same people in tears pleading for their loved one to "get help".
    I can clearly see the enablers(the mothers are often the main one when it comes to men/sons it seems), but I understand too how they may not/cannot see what they are doing. It is very very hard when you love someone to know what 'the right' thing to do is. They mostly just want to keep the loved one alive..and do not realize that they are just extending the pain and suffering.

I actually wish that these counselors would actually 'ball up' and admit,,

That yes, the chain of addiction/enabling must be broken,and consequences must happen, but sometimes 'tough love' ends up with someone dying too. I personally know of people who died when they were 'cut off' in an intervention-type thing. They may have died as well if they enabling continued, but they may not have either, and the time bought may have saved their lives.

The counselors need to make this more apparent. It is a very dangerous time, and these decisions need to be made carefully by people in the know. Somebody just flying in for one day to talk to people for a TV show, and then saying, "you need to do X" is difficult for me. They need to also say, "We think that X is best, but you need to realize that while we think it is best in this situation and usually best, it may in fact be the wrong thing for this situation and may be the straw that broke the camel's back, and your loved one may kill themselves or slide further along because of this.".

It is not always so cut and dried. But it is always a mess. I do not envy the postition of either the enabling family members, or the counselors.

What do you say to the mother who follows the advice, throws the kid out, and then gets the call that the kid committed suicide? They need to be told/made aware of that this is a possibility too, not just that 'the kid will die eventually if you keep enabling'-which is not always true anyway-sometimes other consequences will come in to 'make the change'.

it is very complicated is all I am saying I guess.

* I also realize that I am contradicting myself a bit with this post and my previous one. It is just a difficult decision I think.

*And the enablers could have their own show that would be fascinating on it's own. I think it is much less understood as well by people in general. Half the time it is a 'codependentcy' I think.

*edited again! I also wonder what the professionals think about this, and the ones here on the board (like Lobelia, although I know this is not her area and all..).
    Last edited by Sojiita; December 22nd, 2009 at 06:57 PM.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

omg soj, the enablers so often infuriate me! its maddening, but a deep dark hole they dont understand or see themselves so its true, they need an intervention as well which i think the show has started to do more.

omg a really bad Intervention is on! Amy is anorexic, alcoholic and a cutter. I've known someone w/ 2 of those, but all three of those is truly awful!

hope she can make it for her daughter.

ugh, bottles of blue-berry vodka is awful! and her friend is sitting there drinking with her! what a troll!! its so obvious this poor woman was abused as a child, tragic.

^ When they showed her legs and arms as she cut, I had to look away. I can't imagine that. Seriously her whole life was one big cry for help and her parents never did anything. This girl will need years of help in order to get better. The pain her mother felt when they found out the secret was so hard to watch, then her Dad just shell-shocked. I was bawling at the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    omg a really bad Intervention is on! Amy is anorexic, alcoholic and a cutter. I've known someone w/ 2 of those, but all three of those is truly awful!

hope she can make it for her daughter.

ugh, bottles of blue-berry vodka is awful! and her friend is sitting there drinking with her! what a troll!! its so obvious this poor woman was abused as a child, tragic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxmobster View Post
    ^ When they showed her legs and arms as she cut, I had to look away. I can't imagine that. Seriously her whole life was one big cry for help and her parents never did anything. This girl will need years of help in order to get better. The pain her mother felt when they found out the secret was so hard to watch, then her Dad just shell-shocked. I was bawling at the end.
    ok..I saw this..but did not get to see the end-I had to go to work. What happened? Did she get help-did she 'relapse'

I watched up to the point of the father saying "whoever did that to my daughter would not be walking the Earth".

*I hated watching her putting out her cigarette..on her own damn arm!

And when that bitch living with her was thinking about spoiling the intervention, I wanted to reach through the TV and slap her drunken fat face!

^Yeah she went and got help, they showed her 2 months into treatment and she looked really good, gained like 12 lbs. They say she goes to 12-step meetings everyday. She also plans to go back to school and become a nurse. Has been sober since the summer of this year.

She was putting the cig out on her arm right next to her boyfriend/roommate, and he didn't even notice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxmobster View Post
    ^Yeah she went and got help, they showed her 2 months into treatment and she looked really good, gained like 12 lbs. They say she goes to 12-step meetings everyday. She also plans to go back to school and become a nurse. Has been sober since the summer of this year.

She was putting the cig out on her arm right next to her boyfriend/roommate, and he didn't even notice.
    Did they offer the friend who was going to spill the beans any rehab? I know sometimes they will offer the S/O of the person some rehab too. Not so sure about friends/roomies though.

She just held that cig on her arm like it was nothing. Damn.

She has a long road ahead of her with all of her multiple addictions. ED's, alcohol, cutting, etc. -that is going to be a major struggle. Hope she makes it.

* and she was drinking two liter bottles of vodka a day? They were fifths and not pints right?My God, If I drink a pint in one day I will get drunk off my ass and have an ugly hangover. That is ALOT of vodka.

I fell asleep halfway through Amy's episode but I did catch the one that came on before it. Can't remember the girls name but she was shooting heroin in her neck. Freaked me the fuck right out.
    (276): Michelle Duggar likes to fuuuuck
    OK, I can't sing, I can't act, I'm dumb, I'm a hillbilly, but I can twerk, so whatever.-Miley Cyrus

Quote Originally Posted by nancydrew View Post
    I fell asleep halfway through Amy's episode but I did catch the one that came on before it. Can't remember the girls name but she was shooting heroin in her neck. Freaked me the fuck right out.
    I was watching that one and missed the end of it too for some reason dammit. She was from West Virginia and was prostituting to support her habit. I remember her saying how dangerous it was to shoot in the neck because you could paralyze yourself accidentally if you did it wrong, something like that. Made me shudder.

The drug ones always scare me more than the alcohol ones. Except maybe for Lainey.

they also concluded that anorexia was her main addiction and it was kinda obvious b/c she was still painfully skinny 2 months later. but she seemed happy to be free of her demons and sober. i was relieved to see it working for her.

"
    Originally Posted by nancydrew
    I fell asleep halfway through Amy's episode but I did catch the one that came on before it. Can't remember the girls name but she was shooting heroin in her neck. Freaked me the fuck right out."

Ya Ive never seen that done or heard of it. I did see the end and she went for treatment and it was a success for her. She gained a lot of confidence and about 20lbs. The terrible black circles under eyes completely disappeared and she actually is a very pretty girl. She looked very different as a healthy woman.
    Last edited by Witchywoman; December 30th, 2009 at 06:30 PM.

She reminded me of Brittany Murphy in Spun, the way her face looked.
    (276): Michelle Duggar likes to fuuuuck
    OK, I can't sing, I can't act, I'm dumb, I'm a hillbilly, but I can twerk, so whatever.-Miley Cyrus

Thread Information