Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Intervention

OMG - I'm going to hell for laughing so hard at that Walkin' on Sunshine clip.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

I couldn't stand that girl. I didn't feel the least bit sorry or sad for her. Usually I want the addicts to get help and turn their lives around. I couldn't of cared less what happened to her.
    Fabulous!

I usually don't like most of the addicts on this show. The selfishness is what i dislike the most, although i know it's mostly a product of the addiction. My feeling is that in this day and age, no one is oblivious to the fact that drugs are bad. So, even if the addicts are addicted after just one time, they still did it to themselves. Now don't get me wrong, I have sympathy for them if they want to get clean, but addicts who expect sympathy just because they are addicts usually won't get it from me. An episode from awhile back really got to me though. His name was Hubert and he was an alcoholic who lived on the street. That guy made me sad and slightly melted my cold heart. I did see, on a reunion show, that Hubert was still recovered and doing well. My favorite part of the show is the very end when it tells what the outcome was for each addict.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

yeah i always wonder how it happens; but after seeing intervention; so many of the addicts talk about how it started out small and snowballed into something else until it was its own monster. i guess i can understand that to a degree especially when you're trying to numb pain from your past as a lot of them also do.

lucky for me, i dont think i'll have this problem, but you never know!

Quote Originally Posted by lisalucy69 View Post
    I usually don't like most of the addicts on this show. The selfishness is what i dislike the most, although i know it's mostly a product of the addiction. My feeling is that in this day and age, no one is oblivious to the fact that drugs are bad. So, even if the addicts are addicted after just one time, they still did it to themselves. Now don't get me wrong, I have sympathy for them if they want to get clean, but addicts who expect sympathy just because they are addicts usually won't get it from me. An episode from awhile back really got to me though. His name was Hubert and he was an alcoholic who lived on the street. That guy made me sad and slightly melted my cold heart. I did see, on a reunion show, that Hubert was still recovered and doing well. My favorite part of the show is the very end when it tells what the outcome was for each addict.
    Same here. Hubert was my favorite, I'm so glad he is clean.

I think once you are clean, things are even worse for awhile because now you're forced to deal with issues you were trying to drink/dope away in the first place. Which makes you want to drink/dope again. Vicious cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by KandyKorn View Post
    I think once you are clean, things are even worse for awhile because now you're forced to deal with issues you were trying to drink/dope away in the first place. Which makes you want to drink/dope again. Vicious cycle.
    I think that you are right. They have shut themselves off from their problems for so long that they don't know how to deal with them.
    Fabulous!

Quote Originally Posted by KandyKorn View Post
    Same here. Hubert was my favorite, I'm so glad he is clean.

That's why it's so important for them to finish rehab & continue to do something on an outpatient basis, so they can learn new ways of coping instead of using drugs/booze to cope.

I liked Hubert too. He just seemed to have a sweetness about him.

Who's watching the new season?
    'High, High. Yaw Both High and Smokin' Weeeed in Front of My Howse"
    Bah-Brahhh-Teen Mom

^^ I watched last night, they aired an old episode with Lawrence. He's the only Intervention person to die while the show is in production. Sad.

Then there was a new episode with that young kid, I forget his name. It was really neat to see how he cleaned himself up and got sober. He looked like a totally different person. He seemed like a good kid, I'm glad he got help.

I like how they do 1 episode per person now. It was too much when they focused on 2 addicts per show, you didn't get to know their story very well.

OMG that Lawrence episode was incredibly troubling and sad.

And Hubert--he was the BEST. So damn likeable. And what a great story too, that he's ok and clean/sober.

Have only seen a few of the newer ones. Seem younger for some reason...

Quote Originally Posted by Calimoonchild View Post
    ^^ I watched last night, they aired an old episode with Lawrence. He's the only Intervention person to die while the show is in production. Sad.

Then there was a new episode with that young kid, I forget his name. It was really neat to see how he cleaned himself up and got sober. He looked like a totally different person. He seemed like a good kid, I'm glad he got help.

I like how they do 1 episode per person now. It was too much when they focused on 2 addicts per show, you didn't get to know their story very well.
    Oh good.. I fell asleep and missed the end (of the new one). I think his name was Anthony. I'm glad his ended good.

I am always so happy, at the end, when I read that they made it and have been sober since __________ (whatever the date is). When the episode with Lawrence first aired my jaw dropped when I read he died. So awful. And he could have been so much more.
    Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

Elite Member

I watched the episode with Anthony - the alcoholic - last night.

Question: When he was in his hospital room pouring hand disinfectant into his cup and then diluting it with water, I couldn't believe the cameraman continued to film it when an advisory scrolled across the TV screen stating that ingesting it could prove fatal. Can they do that? Where does filming something so dangerous cross the line? Anthony did drink the mix. I was shocked the filming continued.....

^ I think the camera guys stay out of it, they are in the room but don't interact.

The only times I have seen them step in is when they are drunk/high and try to drive somewhere. That's when a producer will stop them and get them a cab or call a family member.

We watch these all of the time. We love Hubert too!!! Last night was good too, I love when they get their life together. He did seem like a good kid that had a rough childhood, I hope he makes it.

Elite Member

Thanks for the clarification DeadDwarf. I was just stunned that somebody didn't intervene when he was about to ingest the drink and kept filming....especially after the warning to the viewing public.

I really think they crossed an ethical line with the hand sanitizer. It's rare that I feel that way, and they usually are good about walking the line between being an uninvolved documentarian just capturing footage and making sure they don't do anything that will actively kill them-and I have seen episodes where they had to intervene with someone making suicidal comments. There is a difference between allowing them their drugs/vices while showing how far they will go and allowing them to ingest a known toxic poison. At the very least they should have hit the button for a nurse.

Also, when I saw Laurence was the other episode on last night I was SO afraid that it meant this was going to be another person who died. He still looked totally lost at the followup, I really hope he finds happiness someday.

Thread Information