Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Intervention

I think its so hard for families to grasp the idea of tough love . . . esp if they're not particularly educated or sophisticated.

And enabling makes the family member feel better, they're avoiding guilt by being that way. which of course is bad.

Bronze Member

tried to sneak another peek before the show airs here- no one watched?

Bronze Member

omg, i cant believe i'm the only one who watched! i thought it was a great episode....deserving of treatment guy...and there was a happy ending so far...
    i love the happy endings.
    i've never known a junkie but they have a special place in my imaginary heart. lol.

No, I watched too . . . just now getting around to posting.

I am STUNNED that guy stayed clean for six months!! thought he'd leave rehab the next day. I had not much hope at all for that guy (trent). Been to rehab 13 times and they managed to convince him to do it again. Looks like a top notch facility makes all the difference.

he gained 70 lbs in four months!! holy shit! guess he's back to eating and not shootin up! good for him.

Silver Member

I finally remembered to watch last night. That Trent guy seemed like such a great guy when he wasn't on drugs. I'm glad he went through the program and also that Constance stood by him. I don't know too many people who would do that.

I actually saw that guy on Larry King a few months ago, but I hadn't seen him on Intervention. They were talking about the show, and how it helped him. Can't remember when he started rehab, but as of a few months ago at least, he is still doing great.

Did anyone watch the next Intervention right after that one? It had the biggest asshole I have ever seen, Ryan the oxy-contin addict? What a self centred jerk. And his mother made me want to grab her by the throat and smack her a few times. She seemed out of it herself every time they interviewed her.

Quote Originally Posted by olivia720 View Post
    No, I watched too . . . just now getting around to posting.

I am STUNNED that guy stayed clean for six months!! thought he'd leave rehab the next day. I had not much hope at all for that guy (trent). Been to rehab 13 times and they managed to convince him to do it again. Looks like a top notch facility makes all the difference.

he gained 70 lbs in four months!! holy shit! guess he's back to eating and not shootin up! good for him.
    I was amazed by this guy too. And seeing him after six months and 70 olbs, I mean he really looked like a totally different person. Thank God he stayed clean. I hate the ones that relapse and are back in the same hole they were in, only because I feel like I wasted an hour of my time watching them.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

The one with Jacob really touched me. It was the first time watching this show that i felt for the interventionee......he was really hurting. Im so glad he got his shit together, and decided to go back to school. He went through alot of shit when he was younger......that can definitely fuck a kid up.

LIMEY
    "Did anyone watch the next Intervention right after that one? It had the biggest asshole I have ever seen, Ryan the oxy-contin addict? What a self centred jerk".

On the other hand. I thought Ryan was hilarious....i dont know why, but i found myself laughing at everything he did/said. He was really strung out. I cant believe his mom gave him even more money to get high...idiot. I wonder if hes still alive. I was semi hurt when he said he was just dying for something to live for.....you could tell he was still human.
    "I'll probably just end up in some seedy bar with some seedy blonde"-some random Englishman

Trent is the first person on this show that I've had sympathy for. It sounds as though he had a horrific childhood. But the counciler was right saying it was time for him to get a new hand, other than the one that he was dealt. Still, thirteen times in rehab? How can anyone afford that? Doesn't it cost thousands of dollars? I hope he can stay off drugs.

Oh and did anyone else laugh when the girlfriend started to have a panic attack? I know I'm evil, but come on! It wasn't about her. The look on Trent's sister's face when that happened was funny. She looked like she was thinking "wtf?"

Quote Originally Posted by olivia720 View Post
    I think its so hard for families to grasp the idea of tough love . . . esp if they're not particularly educated or sophisticated.

And enabling makes the family member feel better, they're avoiding guilt by being that way. which of course is bad.
    While I agree that many enabling family members may be uneducated or of low-to-middle socioeconomic background, I think the most relevant thing they all share is their incredible willingness to believe that the addict is redeemable. That the addict is NOT lying to them this time, that they really want to get clean, that they really are a good person and will truly make an effort to change their ways. They have to believe that the addict is "not really like that," and if given enough chances will turn their life around. Blood, even if it's to everyone's detriment, will always be thicker than water. Or addiction, in this case.

Also, there is the valid fear of the tough love being too tough, of it being fatal. A mother who knows that her son is so dangerously out of control fears that if she stops helping him and turns him out on the streets, he will die because he isn't looking out for himself and nobody out on the street cares whether he lives or dies. To enablers, turning him out on the streets is like feeding a person you love to the wolves. I don't agree with this mentality, but I do sympathize with it.

Anyways, this thread has convinced me to download all the episodes I can from the internet. It is like a trainwreck, macabre but fascinating and captivating!

and they believe if they just "love enough" somehow that will make a change.

thats really hard to "turn them on the street" when its a good possiblity they will turn up dead or whatever. then the family has to cope with that guilt.

glad I never had to deal with it.

A*O

Loving them is one thing - constantly subsidising their addictions and lifestyle choices (gambling, drugs, booze, whatever) with endless handouts and Get Out Of Jail Free cards is another.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I was really pissed at that girl tonight (heroine addict) who kept hitting up Paw Paw (her grandad) for money. And he was naive so he just kept giving in. She really pissed me off and I felt real contempt for her. Ripping off your frail grandad while he can't even pay his own bills. Selfish c#nt!

Elite Member

I don't understand why parents find it so hard to go the 'tough love' route. If they genuinely loved and cared about their kids well being, they'd do whatever they needed to in order to help them. Oftentimes they're the enablers instead. Parents are not supposed to be their kids friend; they're supposed to be their parent.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

yeah that was sad olivia; that poor grandfather

A*O

A lot of enabling parents are on a massive guilt trip anyway, usually about some other issue (often the one that caused the kid's addiction in the first place) like divorce, abuse, childhood neglect, etc. Others are just totally inadequate parents and cannot see that the enabling is making the problem worse, not better. I often wonder if a lot of the people who successfully get through rehab do so simply because they are taken away from the toxic domestic environment.

Drugs/intervention/rehab is in the news here at the moment because a famous Aussie football player, Ben Cousins, went into rehab in the US last month to overcome a cocaine addiction. It's been widely known for years that he had a problem but his footy club (West Coast Eagles) basically turned a blind eye because he was a star player who won them games. Eventually his family packed him off to rehab and after only a month (nowhere near long enough) he's about to make a triumphant return. Even now he is flatly denying he had/has a serious cocaine habit (why were you in rehab then Ben?) although his parents admit he has. Everyone is wondering what will happen when he comes back. Will he be suspended/sacked for bringing the game into disrepute or will he be allowed to continue playing as if nothing happened. I'm afraid most people think the latter will happen which sends a great message - not. Personally, I predict that he hasn't had nearly long enough in rehab (he was originally told at least 7-8 months) and that he'll be back on the toot straight away.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread Information