Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Indiana Jones IV is a hit!

I must be the only person on the face of this earth who has never seen/has no desire to see any of these movies. I'm weird with movies. I like low budget indies.

My my, didn't we all just dip our tongues in some acid today.

the first one is gold
    it's a well made film for all its spectacle. A lot of talent went into it.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

A good review from my all time favorite movie critic:

:: rogerebert.com :: Reviews :: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (xhtml)

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
    'Indiana Jones' in universe of its own

Release Date: 2008
    Ebert Rating: ***
    // / May 18, 2008

By Roger Ebert

"Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull." Say it aloud. The very title causes the pulse to quicken, if you, like me, are a lover of pulp fiction. What I want is goofy action--lots of it. I want man-eating ants, swordfights between two people balanced on the backs of speeding jeeps, subterranean caverns of gold, vicious femme fatales, plunges down three waterfalls in a row, and the explanation for flying saucers. And throw in lots of monkeys.
    The Indiana Jones movies were directed by Steven Spielberg and written by George Lucas, but they exist in a universe of their own. Hell, they created it. All you can do is compare one to the other three. And even then, what will it get you? If you eat four pounds of sausage, how do you choose which pound tasted the best? Well, the first one, of course, and then there's a steady drop-off of interest. That's why no Indy adventure can match "Raiders of the Lost Ark" (1981). But if "Crystal Skull" (or "Temple of Doom" from 1984 or "Last Crusade" from, 1989) had come first in the series, who knows how much fresher it might have seemed? True, "Raiders of the Lost Ark" stands alone as an action masterpiece, but after that the series is compelled to be, in the words of Indiana himself, "same old same old." Yes, but that's what I it to be.

"Crystal Skull" even dusts off the Russians, so severely under- exploited in recent years, as the bad guys. Up against them, Indiana Jones is once again played by Harrison Ford, who is now 65 but looks a lot like he did at 55 or 46, which is how old he was when he made "Last Crusade." He has one of those Robert Mitchum faces that doesn't age, it only frowns more. He and his sidekick Mac McHale (Ray Winstone) are taken by the cool, contemptuous Soviet uber-villainess Irina Spalko (Cate Blanchett) to a cavernous warehouse to seek out a crate he saw there years ago. The contents of the crate are hyper- magnetic (lord, I love this stuff) and betray themselves when Indy throws a handful of gunpowder into the air.
    In ways too labyrinthine to describe, the crate leads Indy, Mac, Irina and the Russians far up the Amazon. Along the way they've gathered Marion Ravenwood (Karen Allen), Indy's girlfriend from the first film, and a young biker named Mutt Williams (Shia LeBeouf), who is always combing his ducktail haircut. They also acquire Professor Oxley (John Hurt), elderly colleague from the University of Chicago, whose function is to read all the necessary languages, know all the necessary background, and explain everything.

What happens in South America is explained by the need to create (1) sensational chase sequences, and (2) awe-inspiring spectacles. We get such sights as two dueling Jeep-like vehicles racing down parallel roads. Not many of the audience members will be as logical as I am, and wonder who went to the trouble of building parallell roads in a rain forest. Most of the major characters eventually find themselves at the wheels of both vehicles; they leap or are thrown from one to another, and the vehicles occasionally leap right over one another. And that Irina, she's something. Her Russian backups are mostly just atmosphere, useful for pointing their rifles at Indy, but she can fight shoot, fence, drive, leap and kick, and keep on all night.

All leads to the discovery of a subterranean chamber beneath an ancient Pyramid, where they find an ancient city made of gold and containing...but wait, I forgot to tell you they found a crystal skull in a crypt. Well sir, it's one of 13 crystal skulls, and the other 12 are in that chamber. When the set is complete, amazing events take place. Prof. Oxley carries the 13th skull for most of the time, and finds it repels man-eating ants. It also represents one-thirteenth of all knowledge about everything, leading Irina to utter the orgasmic words, "I want...to know!" In appearance, the skull is a cross between the aliens of the Special Edition of Spielberg's "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" and the hood ornaments of 1950s Pontiacs.
    What is the function of the chamber? "It's a portal--to another dimension!" Oxley says. Indy is sensible: "I don't think we wanna go that way." It is astonishing that the protagonists aren't all killed 20 or 30 times, although Irnia will beome The Women Who Knew Too Much. At his advanced age, Prof.Oxley tirelessly jumps between vehicles, survives fire and flood and falling from great heights, and would win on "American Gladiator." Relationships between certain other characters are of interest, since (a) the odds against them finding themselves together are astronomical, and (b) the odds against them not finding themselves together in this film are incalculable.

Now what else can I tell you, apart from mentioning the blinking red digital countdown, and the moving red line tracing a journey on a map? I can say that if you liked the other Indiana Jones movies, you will like this one, and that if you did not, there is no talking to you. And I can also say that a critic trying to place it into a heirarchy with the others would probably keep a straight face while recommending the second pound of sausage.

I think its awesome that Harrison didn't let anyone steal his role. I love him, he's still super hot.

Hit By Ban Bus!

The fact that Lucas squandered 20 years leads me to believe he resents Ford and wants to continue the franchise without him. Unless they start making the next one right away, otherwise it looks like Shia is taking over the reins.

Why bother continuing the franchise? People want to see Indiana Jones not some kid! Besides, both Spielberg and Lucas are in their 60s. They can't expect to crank out another three at the rate they're going.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    A good review from my all time favorite movie critic:
    OMG! Ebert is the BIGGEST kiss ass out there! Spielberg could film Camels humping and Ebert would find something good to say about it. I still miss Gene, he never played favorites.

As for Indy IV, it isn't a "hit" according to the review I've read - it just isn't a bomb.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Some guy on a film blog saw it at Cannes and said everything about it was great except it seemed to him that no one in the whole film had their hearts in it. That would kind of ruin it for me.

Ebert is an old guy-supposedly this Indy will appeal to the oldsters more than the younger demographic.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I like this line from Ebert:

I can say that if you liked the other Indiana Jones movies, you will like this one, and that if you did not, there is no talking to you.

Okay, so here's my review, I saw it tonight. If you are looking for an action flick to pass some time, this has some good points. I'm not going to lie, it drags a lot in the middle. Theres a cheesy beginning as well. Then theres some good action. The problem with this movie is quite plainly, its not even close to its predecessors, nothing feels like Indiana Jones. Even Cate Blanchett couldn't save this movie. I don't know, I was immensely disappointed. I realize its all subjective, but going into it as an Indy fan, I was let down. Maybe if its your first time around, you won't be.

Spoilers in white:

The weirdest part about this movie is that it is all about the supernatural. The crystal skull is that of an alien, because evidently aliens used to rule earth - built the pyramids, all that. They find the skull and take it back to its place, and all kinds of crazy alien shit breaks out. I guess the aliens, because they were waiting for their one skull to return, decide to then return to their place in space. I really don't even know what to say because, to me, this was so ridiculous that it ruined the whole film. The whole supernatural thing was so terrible, for me, I don't know. Like I said, it was so un-Indiana Jones the whole thing felt terribly put together.

You may like it though, I don't want to discourage anyone else from seeing. If anyone has questions, feel free to ask - I can put spoilers in white like I did above.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

I saw it tonight too and was a bit bummed. SPOLIERS AHEAD!!!!!!

The movie itself had a lot of action but it lacked the wit and hilarious dialogue of the first three. There wasn't banter back and forth between him and Marian (that is her name, right?). Instead he's just sappy about her. It wasn't the Indy I know and love. And dammit, they all called him Henry or Dr. Jones. He's neither. He's INDY dammit.

The whole alien thing seemed stupid for an archeologist (even if there were some Roswell themes tied in). And there were a few too many things pulled from the Mummy movies. The last 5 minutes or so sucked some ass and was the most un-Indy like thing ever.

Overall it wasn't great. It was entertaining but they should have left well enough alone.

YES!!! Bella, the last ten minutes RUINED the film for me as well, it was so damn hokey, especially when...spoilers in white

Especially when Cate Blanchett vaporizes after being struck with the knowledge, the aliens looked so stupid and when her eyes turned black, people in the theatre actually started to laugh, it was so stupid. Then when the alien spaceship comes up from underground and goes into space...wtf? And then when Indy gets married...it all just seemed so cheesy. It could not have been MORE un-Indiana Jones.

I agree with every bit of that. More in white:

The idea that Indy would settle down is stupid. I also hated the way they handled the paternity thing. Instead of making it an important issue, it just seemed like a little side note. Finally, Indy is supposed to do most things on his own. I didn't like how this was a group effort. Wow, I'm harsh! LOL!

Hit By Ban Bus!

Thanks for the reviews kids ... I'll wait for Video.

No Bella, I agree with that completely. I actually find myself rolling my eyes. I looked at my husband when (the thing that happened in my spoiler happened) and he gave me this look, like what the fuck happened with this movie? It just was so weird, so disjointed from the previous three movies. I wouldn't have minded the whole supernatural subplot if it hadn't have been so damn stupid at the end...they didn't need it to be so hokey. Spoiler in white:

It would have been better if they didn't have to make the CGI aliens, themm coming back to life, and the spaceship....wayyyy too much. They could have just returned the skull and thought of another ending. I didn't mind it SO much until that part, it could have been redeemed. And I agree with the whole Indiana marriage thing, that was so sappy. Why? I didn't mind him getting back together with Marion (I enjoyed their chemistry in the first film), but why rush the marriage? What I enjoyed about them was their biting wit and the way they interacted with each other and pissed each other off - this movie made them way too sappy and over the top. At the end, it was like, they were trying to make them this perfect family. It just felt all wrong.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information