Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: How I Met Your Mother - series finale

I never watched the show, so I could really give two shits, but interesting on the different perspectives.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

I always thought that Robin and Ted had been together but had an on-off relationship. Of course this is based on watching about 10 minutes of each season.

From what I've read, the long-term devoted fans really hated it. I haven't really followed it in years, watched one episode this season. I was a little surprised to hear how it ended but hey, his wife died and I don't think it means she wasn't the love of his life, just that he reconnected with someone else he had a history with once the circumstances and timing were right. I don't see anything wrong with that, but I do think the whole marrying and divorcing Barney in the interim was a little awkward. I think the show probably lasted longer than it should have which made the ending convoluted to some fans.

I'm glad I wasn't that invested. I'm still pissed off about what they just did to The Good Wife.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

I haven't watched it year. Not ready to say goodbye to this awesome show !
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

^ oops, spoiler alert! too late...
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

It was so odd to spend the better part of 3 seasons making Robin and Barney work - including this entire season on their wedding weekend, just to write it off so quickly. But I did really like the finale overall. I think they probably could have made better use of Marshall and Lily in the finale, they were the glue that kept the whole group together and seemed such an afterthought. It's too bad that they cast the mother so well and she was such a perfect match for Ted, it was just too jarring for a one hour finale and 16 or so years.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

I really really hated Robin's hair through this finale (yes, I'm so fucking weak I had to watch it I was too afraid I'd get spoiled lol)

Barney's scene with his baby girl was really moving, Neil Patrick Harris's acting was so intense at that moment it felt really … I don't even know how to describe it.

All in all, I won't say I was disappointed with this finale, I liked it actually, I think ! I really didn't know what to expect so maybe that's why, and even if some things bothered me, I guess it's somehow more realistic, that a couple you'd like to see together for ever gets a divorce after three years, that somehow a guy can't forget his first true love, even after all those years, I don't know, it was really nostalgic but also felt genuinely honest. I don't know if I'm making myself clear here
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

I'm finding different reactions based on generations. Most of my friends loved it while my daughter's group did not. They felt it was too contrived. My age group felt it made us think about friends who have been in and out of our lives and that maybe it is time to make a call and reconnect. We understand that sometimes relationships work, and sometimes they don't, and there is pain, and pleasure on the road to real adulthood. We liked that even through the pain and distance in some of their years, in the end they found their way back to the core, to the blue horn.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

See that's what makes me not want to watch through to the end, the blue horn was an immature Ted and a reluctant Robin trying to make a relationship work when it wasn't meant to. So for the next 8 years they beat us over the head with Ted's quest for true love (ie the mother) and spent a whole season preparing for Robin to marry Barney - only to have that be the backstory to Ted finally ending up with Robin? And the mother was basically an incubator for Ted and Robin to eventually play happy families? What a rip off. I'm so annoyed I wasted all these years (especially the last few seasons which were really hard to get through) on an unsatisfying conclusion, so again thanks for the warning, this is one to avoid.
    Moongirl and laynes like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information