Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hostel

Default Re: Hostel

Not to hijack here, but I watched possibly the goriest movie I've ever seen the other night called 'High Tension'. It's a French movie that was dubbed in English.

SVZ

ok spoiler...well sorta but not really.

so basically two american travellers visit a russian country. they meet this weird guy and they decide to go with him

he promises them he'll show them this hostel/hotel where the women are beautiful and very horny.

so they go, do a lot of drugs, have a lot of fun, and the women have sex with them.

then one of the girl mysteriously disappears, and they discover that the hostel is actually a place for people who come on torture vacations. they pay money to torture hapless american tourists

I didn't bother to see High Tension... I know some people love it, but I read the spoiler and I thought the story was dumb. My boyfriend and his friends watched it and liked it, though.

The killer in Silence of the Lambs IS based on Ed Gein, I believe... good ole Ed was a very inspirational serial killer. He's the inspiration for Norman Bates, too. I've seen the movie about Ed, too... it's not bad, and he was definitely one twisted guy.

Quote Originally Posted by muchlove
    I didn't bother to see High Tension... I know some people love it, but I read the spoiler and I thought the story was dumb.
    Execution of the 'twist' in the story was bad. They distracted from how bad it was with gore, especially at the very end. I had to grit my teeth at least once.

SVZ

ok now i remember!

i actually saw a bit of this at the toronto film festival, but left because i had no clue what i was watching...

I think the story line is 2 Americans are on vacation and are lured with the promise of sex they will never forget and end up being given to these sick fucks who cut people up...I watched a few clips, and it seems pretty gory. The whole family has decided to see it...talk about qualitly family time
    THE EASIEST WAY OUT IS THROUGH....

The Audition was pretty intense. More of a mind game/control than gore. But horror all the same.

Elite Member

Don't see this on a date unless you have great jugs to compete with all the nekkid falsies. Every friggin' female in this movie bares their fake-ass boobs (my dude was fooled, but thrilled nonetheless ) And because we had to sit in the very front bottom row I got a waaay bigger shots of vagina, boob, and pubes than I had ever nightmared in my life. It's such a dude-pleaser; none of the guys are even semi-cute.

It is tremendously (spectacularly) gory, but I found it all in good fun. I mean, it is the dude that conjured up "Cabin Fever".

Rant: I'm still just pissed that EVERYONE in the theatre left that "one chair" between their group and any other people in their row and no one would move over. There had to be 30 open seats but no one could be bothered to
    !!sit beside a stranger at a public place!! so we were forced into neck-crane-retina-burn territory. Grrr.

I just got back from seeing it and really liked it. It's about as gory as Saw, but Saw's violence is in flashes, fleeting glimpses. Hostel they really take you into the scene - more "personal", I guess that's why it disturbed people so much. I thought the acting was pretty realistic - I have Finnish friends and they are totally like Oli in the movie!

I just saw it tonight and thought it was ok...not really scary, more gory. I'm not really a fan of movies who think that "gore = horror"
    Dramatically overdramatic

I'm with ya fatguyinalittlecoat!
    We had to sit in the front row as well, and closeups of the T&A were almost as disturbing as the torture! I even sat in between two spastic people who jumped and shoved their elbows into my sides at every gory scene. Good times.

They were talking about this movie quite a bit on the radio this morning. They described it as "Faces of Death" meets "Girls Gone Wild." I think someone mentioned this earlier, but the 'true story' part is the writer found a website where you could pay $10,000, go to Thailand and shoot someone. So they actually added in all the torture ideas.

On a side note b/c people were previously talking about it, I hated High Tension. I'm not sure what was more disturbing---the grotesque violence or the awful dubbing.

I will see it too. My question about the torture parts is is it disturbing, nightmare causing gore or cheesy, over the top, almost laughable gore?? I'm a little dissappointed to find out about all the nudity/sex.

(Once again a side question about High Tension. I'll spoiler it b/c it does give away the twist. I've heard 2 theories about the movie. 1. The main girl actually did know the other girl and go to the family's house with her, then flipped out b/c she loved her or 2. She randomly picked that house and never actually knew the girl. What do you guys think?)

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

yum jay hernandez

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information