Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hong Kong Cinema

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Haha, I didn't know the priest is actually a sports commentator.

I think Ekin is hot but he hasn't been in any other worthy (or at least interesting, I usually only like action, comedy or gangster movies) movies. He's been in some romantic comedies I think but I hate romantic comedies...

Do you speak Cantonese Ekee? *jellus*

ETA:
    Kinda random but I'm also throwing this here. I like a couple of Jackie Cheung's songs (note: not Jackie CHAN but CHEUNG).

I was into HK stuff way back in high school and only got back into movies in the recent years but not really music so I only know older songs but here are a couple of songs I loved.

[youtube]fh5scZgMAxE[/youtube]
    Such a beautiful song

[youtube]BindcwuF9sg[/youtube]
    Ugh, I could cry...

I remember this band called Grasshoppers, they had one cool song that sounded tribal n stuff, can't remember the name now.
    Last edited by moomies; July 27th, 2008 at 06:17 AM.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

^I do speak Cantonese, moomies.

Do you know Ekin started out working at kiddie shows? I remembered from when I was 3. (So I guess I was destined to watch lots and lots of TV)

Jackie Cheung is one of the very few GOOD singers in HK.

OMG Moomies, I can't believe anyone here know of Grasshoppers. A childhood friend of mine was OBESSED with them. They were out and about again a few years ago for "reunion" aka we don't have any money left, hey lets come out of "retirement" and make some cash.

Ekee, do you happen to know an actresss named Lydia Chen? Not sure if I spelt her first name right but she was a fat commedienne, was in some movies and TV dramas? She lived here in VanQ so when she passed away this year, it was all over our local Chinese papers (not that I read Chinese papers!)

I took Mandarin in college so I can understand just a little. But I always wanted to learn Cantonese ever since I was like 3 years old! I've never had the chance as Mandarin being the official language of China, universities here don't offer Cantonese. I'd still love to learn. I just love the sounds of it, so lively and full of expressive emotions in speech.

Today I was talking to my friend again about HK movies. Remember Leslie Cheung? I cried when I watched Farewell My Concubine...and I also cried when he killed himself...tragic just like the character he played

Oh and my hubby knows some people who went to school with Edison Chen (in Richmond, a city next to Vancouver)! They said his family was already rich before he even became a movie star.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Chow Yun Fat and Li Gong. They are the one's I know and I love them. Am I talking about what you are talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    Chow Yun Fat and Li Gong. They are the one's I know and I love them. Am I talking about what you are talking about?
    Chow Yun Fat is great and Li Gong is gorgeous. Now you must go and check out more HK movies and get hooked. What is your favorite genre and I'll give you a list of what you should check out.

I can't wait to go and see The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor this weekend. Some of my favorite HK actors are in it. Jet Li, Jakie Wu, & Michelle Yeoh.
    ><((((º>·. ¸¸. ·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>`·.¸¸.··´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by moomies View Post
    Ekee, do you happen to know an actresss named Lydia Chen? Not sure if I spelt her first name right but she was a fat commedienne, was in some movies and TV dramas? She lived here in VanQ so when she passed away this year, it was all over our local Chinese papers (not that I read Chinese papers!)

I took Mandarin in college so I can understand just a little. But I always wanted to learn Cantonese ever since I was like 3 years old! I've never had the chance as Mandarin being the official language of China, universities here don't offer Cantonese. I'd still love to learn. I just love the sounds of it, so lively and full of expressive emotions in speech.

Today I was talking to my friend again about HK movies. Remember Leslie Cheung? I cried when I watched Farewell My Concubine...and I also cried when he killed himself...tragic just like the character he played

Oh and my hubby knows some people who went to school with Edison Chen (in Richmond, a city next to Vancouver)! They said his family was already rich before he even became a movie star.
    Cantonese is really loud. It's so noisy. I'm glad it has fan(s)! Hehehehe
    Even I speak it myself, I found it one of the hardest language to learn. The grammar structure is slightly different than mandarin. The pronounciation is crazy. My mom yells at me when I dont speak it properly.

Leslie Cheung was my absolute favorite artist that ever came out from HK. I'm still not over his death. He was my first "idol". I met him twice. Once when I was very very little. But I remember every moment of it like it was yesterday. I cried for days after his death. I went to HK recently and walked the hotel where he jumped off. I got a bit emotional. I had to grab my friend and left the vicinity asap. I just can't go on about how much I adored that man. RIP Leslie.

Edison Chen is so ridiculous. Never liked him. Never paid that much attention to him until those scandalous pix came out earlier this year. I had so much fun laughing at him and the "victims". Maybe I'm just really evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    Chow Yun Fat is great and Li Gong is gorgeous. Now you must go and check out more HK movies and get hooked. What is your favorite genre and I'll give you a list of what you should check out.

I can't wait to go and see The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor this weekend. Some of my favorite HK actors are in it. Jet Li, Jakie Wu, & Michelle Yeoh.
    I'm a novice, Butterfly. I've only seen the Flying Dragons movies. I love the ninjas. I've seen Chow Yun Fat in several films and he's really brilliant. Genres? Probably period films with lots of costumes and drama.
    Maybe a cop film with a good story? I don't like stabbing! Any good Chow Yun romances? Subtitles only of course.

Quote Originally Posted by ekee View Post
    Edison Chen is so ridiculous. Never liked him. Never paid that much attention to him until those scandalous pix came out earlier this year. I had so much fun laughing at him and the "victims". Maybe I'm just really evil.

I laughed at his small peen and this one chick had the bushiest bush I had ever seen (maybe one of the Twins?). That shit shoulda been tamed, she'd need a 10-blade razor.

Quote Originally Posted by moomies View Post
    I laughed at his small peen and this one chick had the bushiest bush I had ever seen (maybe one of the Twins?). That shit shoulda been tamed, she'd need a 10-blade razor.
    Yup. That's one of Twins! I laughed at her costumes. Ridic! My friends managed to got a hold of all the pix. I hadnt laugh that much for so long.

Do u know if he was always as big of a douche?? Any juicy gossip? LOL

Watched this HK movie called Mad Detective tonight. Utterly brilliant. I was very impressed with the story, it's a psychological thriller.
    MAD DETECTIVE (Hong Kong, 2007)

NEW YORK PREMIERE

89 minutes, 35mm, in Cantonese with English subtitles
    Directed by: Johnnie To & Wai Ka-fai
    Starring: Lau Ching-wan, Andy On, Lam Ka-tung, Kelly Lin, Lam Suet, Karen Lee

Showtimes: SUN June 22, 7.20pm at the IFC Center [Buy Tickets]
    Note: "Buy Tickets" links will take you to the IFC Center website (for shows at IFC Center) and to Japan Society website (for shows at Japan Society). Tickets for each venue must be purchased separately

“...reaffirms To’s status as an action master...” (the New York Times)
    From 1995 to 1999, director Johnnie To and actor Lau Ching-wan made nine crime films together that are some of the best in the genre. A collaboration as intense and rewarding as that between James Stewart and Alfred Hitchcock or Sergio Leone and Clint Eastwood, these nine films not only gave Lau Ching-wan the best roles of his career but they lent a galvanizing, charismatic energy to To’s sometimes claustrophobic filmmaking. Except for a couple of comedies, the two men haven’t worked together for seven years until now. MAD DETECTIVE veers from comedy to tragedy before Lau Ching-wan and Johnnie To push each other past the normal boundaries of cinema and on to something truly unique. A breathtaking achievement, it’s the only movie made since 1989 that the Masters of Cinema collection in the United Kingdom (the UK’s equivalent of America’s Criterion Collection) has included in their select catalogue, which includes masterpieces by Fritz Lang, Akira Kurosawa and Orson Welles.

Co-directed by Johnnie To and screenwriter Wai Ka-fai (whom To refers to as “a genius”), the mad detective of the title is Inspector Bun (Lau Ching-wan) a cop who works on a near-supernatural level of intuition and who can see other people’s true selves. Drop him in front of a nagging male office manager and he’ll see a shrewish old woman; put him in the room with someone who has multiple personality disorder and he’ll see them as seven different people. At the start of the movie, Inspector Bun is staging the recreation of a gruesome murder, that climaxed with him being locked in a suitcase and thrown down several flights of stairs, just like the victim. Emerging bruised and battered he announces, “It was the ice cream vendor.” Case closed. But his gift has a dark side and after sawing off his own ear and presenting it to his superior officer as a gift, he’s put out to pasture. Five years later, Officer Ho Ka-on (Andy On) is assigned to solve a case where two cops pursued a criminal into a dark forest but only one came out. Unable to get any leads, Officer Ho recruits the mad detective to assist his investigation but it turns out that not only does no one want to know the truth, but the truth will wind up burying them all. One of those rare movies where the screenplay, the performances, the editing, the sound design and the cinematography all work in harmony like a precision Swiss watch, MAD DETECTIVE does in 89 minutes what most movies never achieve: it dazzles you with its virtuosity and then it breaks your heart.

Festivals/Awards
    Asian Film Awards 2008: Winner, “Best Screenwriter” (Wai Ka-fai & Au Kin-yee)
    Hong Kong Film Awards 2008: Winner, “Best Screenplay” (Wai Ka-fai & Au Kin-yee)

NYAFF 2008: Mad Detective

Check out the trailer

[YOUTUBE]hEPcopoWnKI[/YOUTUBE]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information