Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 42
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Homeland - Showtime series

  1. #16
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,918

    Default

    i hate the romance between carrie and brody. they are so dumb together. and quinn is rupert friend? as in kiera knightley's ex (current?). very hot. sad to see david estes go.

  2. #17
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    25,723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SunShine23 View Post
    i hate the romance between carrie and brody. they are so dumb together. and quinn is rupert friend? as in kiera knightley's ex (current?). very hot. sad to see david estes go.
    Rupert Friend does a terrific American accent. Even better than Damian Lewis, I think.

  3. #18
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,918

    Default

    yes, i would never have guessed he was british

  4. #19
    Elite Member KrisNine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sleepy night night land
    Posts
    22,887

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    You read my mind - if Morena Baccarin is gone, I will have a tough time watching. I'm very shallow that way. For the life of me, I can't see Damian Lewis being written out of the show unless there is something about his contract that I don't know about.
    I read an interview/article yesterday with Alex Gansa. I can't find it for the life of me (I think it was in NBC), but he was saying that he almost killed Brody half way through this season. He didn't because of the chemistry and amazing acting scenes between Damien Lewis and Claire DAnes. Still, he said that they couldn't continue to alter the show in order to keep those two together (or something along those lines). So, Brody is gone for now, but not gone gone. If they focus on other national security issues this next season, then the Brody clan will be gone.

    Quote Originally Posted by SunShine23 View Post
    i hate the romance between carrie and brody. they are so dumb together. and quinn is rupert friend? as in kiera knightley's ex (current?). very hot. sad to see david estes go.
    He's very handsome. Agree!

  5. #20
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    25,723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I read an interview/article yesterday with Alex Gansa. I can't find it for the life of me (I think it was in NBC), but he was saying that he almost killed Brody half way through this season. He didn't because of the chemistry and amazing acting scenes between Damien Lewis and Claire DAnes. Still, he said that they couldn't continue to alter the show in order to keep those two together (or something along those lines). So, Brody is gone for now, but not gone gone. If they focus on other national security issues this next season, then the Brody clan will be gone.



    He's very handsome. Agree!
    I believe that the guy who plays Estes (last name is Harewood, I think) is another Brit. Another good accent. The Arabic journalist (Roya) is also played by a British actor, I think, but she maintains some kind of accent. Pretty high number of British cast members, and I bet I'm missing some who I just didn't recognize or look up.

    I read an article that said that shows like "Homeland" were willing to completely break the rules on who is an expendable character/actor on the show if it will keep the audience surprised and on its toes. So, I guess it's possible that Damian Lewis was brought in and told that he could very well be only doing half a season. It makes me wonder, though, how they would ever get him back if he signed on with another show that gave him a long-term contract.

    By the way, I'm not all that wild about Carrie or Sol, either. At least Sol is an honorable guy, but he looks like he is on the edge of being pushed out the door (at least, until the finale). And I find Carrie both irritating, and her employability with an agency completely untenable with all of her wild antics. But then, I felt the same way about Jack Bauer, and look how long that show lasted....
    Waterslide likes this.

  6. #21
    Elite Member Waterslide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    out where the buses don't run
    Posts
    13,100

    Default

    I'm hoping on a day when I have imbibed a little less eggnog and wine, that someone can explain what the hell is happening on this show. I just did a marathon of it and I can't figure out who I'm supposed to "like" or feel empathy for.

    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I believe that the guy who plays Estes (last name is Harewood, I think) is another Brit. Another good accent. The Arabic journalist (Roya) is also played by a British actor, I think, but she maintains some kind of accent. Pretty high number of British cast members, and I bet I'm missing some who I just didn't recognize or look up.

    I read an article that said that shows like "Homeland" were willing to completely break the rules on who is an expendable character/actor on the show if it will keep the audience surprised and on its toes. So, I guess it's possible that Damian Lewis was brought in and told that he could very well be only doing half a season. It makes me wonder, though, how they would ever get him back if he signed on with another show that gave him a long-term contract.

    By the way, I'm not all that wild about Carrie or Sol, either. At least Sol is an honorable guy, but he looks like he is on the edge of being pushed out the door (at least, until the finale). And I find Carrie both irritating, and her employability with an agency completely untenable with all of her wild antics. But then, I felt the same way about Jack Bauer, and look how long that show lasted....
    This! I thought it was just me. I was under the impression that if you had something as serious and debilitating as what Carrie has, that you just don't get your clearance. Period. It drives me insane! Especially since I don't get how she'd pass any psych evals she would have right now. What also drives me insane about Carrie is that her hair is piss yellow - which is something we talk about in the fashion threads. I keep wanting her to go to the salon and get a haircut and put a human shade of blonde in her hair. Is that too much to ask? She looks like what tv directors think a waitress should look like in movies, only she's a CIA operative who should theoretically know better than to have piss hair? And Saul is just dandy, but he's about as useful as Carrie's dad. And don't start me on Brody. I can't even understand one thing about him. No, I really need to stop myself from asking about Brody, because he drives me insane.

    Other than that, I do like a good spy thriller, so it's been nice to see that on TV. I am very entertained by this show, I wonder what they will do with the next season.
    You know, a dozen press agents working overtime can do terrible things to the human spirit. ~Cecil B. DeMille
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

    Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.


  7. #22
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    25,723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    This! I thought it was just me. I was under the impression that if you had something as serious and debilitating as what Carrie has, that you just don't get your clearance. Period. It drives me insane! Especially since I don't get how she'd pass any psych evals she would have right now.
    For an agency like that, quasi FBI/CIA/NSA, you would have to not only pass a rigorous background check, you would have to pass a lifestyle polygraph. The background check almost certainly would have vetted you for psychiatric conditions and psychotropic medications you were on. I'm hearing you could have a tough time working for the FBI if you had even taken Adderall at one point. But I think something like Haldol or Clozapine (I forgot exactly which medication she is on) would be an absolute no go -- and I think it's stated that Carrie has lied about whether she takes medication. However, the lifestyle poly is like a two-hour test where I think it would have been revealed that she was on strong meds and/or that she has some evident psychological issues.
    Waterslide likes this.

  8. #23
    Elite Member Kathie_Moffett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    just another freak in the freak kingdom
    Posts
    6,956

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Rupert Friend does a terrific American accent. Even better than Damian Lewis, I think.
    This show really is off the hook with all the hot Brit actors. droool. Rupert Friend is great and I hope there'll be more of his character. Also hope Damian Lewis reappears. Unlike some of you, I found his and Carrie's relationship oddly, sadly compelling and believable. They're both so hopelessly fucked up and somehow they connect through that.

    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    By the way, I'm not all that wild about Carrie or Sol, either. At least Sol is an honorable guy, but he looks like he is on the edge of being pushed out the door (at least, until the finale). And I find Carrie both irritating, and her employability with an agency completely untenable with all of her wild antics. But then, I felt the same way about Jack Bauer, and look how long that show lasted....
    Did you know that some people out there on the web think Sol might be the hidden traitor? Interesting thought and that would be a hell of a twist, right up there with Janet Leigh in the shower with the butcher knife for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    I'm hoping on a day when I have imbibed a little less eggnog and wine, that someone can explain what the hell is happening on this show. I just did a marathon of it and I can't figure out who I'm supposed to "like" or feel empathy for.

    This! I thought it was just me. I was under the impression that if you had something as serious and debilitating as what Carrie has, that you just don't get your clearance. Period. It drives me insane! Especially since I don't get how she'd pass any psych evals she would have right now. What also drives me insane about Carrie is that her hair is piss yellow - which is something we talk about in the fashion threads. I keep wanting her to go to the salon and get a haircut and put a human shade of blonde in her hair. Is that too much to ask? She looks like what tv directors think a waitress should look like in movies, only she's a CIA operative who should theoretically know better than to have piss hair? And Saul is just dandy, but he's about as useful as Carrie's dad. And don't start me on Brody. I can't even understand one thing about him. No, I really need to stop myself from asking about Brody, because he drives me insane.

    Other than that, I do like a good spy thriller, so it's been nice to see that on TV. I am very entertained by this show, I wonder what they will do with the next season.
    Angst! Totally agree about Danes' pissy hair. Shave her head!!! Put a pink sparkly burka over that shit plz.

    In response to your statements I bolded:

    1. mostly the audience, because we had to listen to Brody's daughter's endless narcissistic whines ALL SEASON LONG. Holy fuck she was annoying. The last few episodes I was beginning to have fantasies about putting her head on a stick in Brody's front yard.

    2. They wouldn't. It's fiction. Nobody with Carrie's mental illness (bipolar I think? with some psychotic symptoms?) would ever get hired by the CIA. I suppose the theory is she outsmarted the polygraph and is lying about her meds. I have heard it's possible to beat the poly. But mostly just for sociopaths who can completely control their body's emotional responses, not an emotional wackjob like Carrie. I watched the first episode again recently. I'd completely forgotten how she *hits on Sol* at one point to try and keep her job. Wow. It's like crazy trailer trash Carrie peeks out for a sec there. The writers sure "evolved" her character this season!

    Also agree that it's so nice to see a good spy thriller on the air again. About time. And in all seriousness...I appreciate the treatment of Carrie's illness. They actually seem to have done their homework and if shows like this help people like her to be more understood and less ostracized, that's all good.

    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    You read my mind - if Morena Baccarin is gone, I will have a tough time watching. I'm very shallow that way. For the life of me, I can't see Damian Lewis being written out of the show unless there is something about his contract that I don't know about.
    But at least the daughter will go!!! Isn't that worth losing Morena?!? Please say yes. I can't take any more of that kid.
    Waterslide likes this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

  9. #24
    Elite Member Waterslide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    out where the buses don't run
    Posts
    13,100

    Default

    How did I never come back in this thread?

    Unfortunately, the reason I came over here was because I was thinking about this show the other day and wondering when it was coming back. Then I saw this sad news.

    ‘Homeland’ Writer-Producer Henry Bromell Dies at 66


    by Associated Press | March 19, 2013 at 3:35 PM | Celebrity Deaths, Homeland
    "Homeland" executive producer Henry Bromell (AP Photo/Showtime/Kent Smith)
    LOS ANGELES (AP) — A representative for Henry Bromell, an executive producer for the TV series “Homeland,” says Bromell has died.
    Bromell’s longtime agent and friend, Peter Benedek, said Bromell died Monday at a Los Angeles area hospital. The cause of death may have been a heart attack, Benedek said Tuesday.
    Last year, Bromell shared in Emmy and Golden Globe best-drama awards for Showtime’s “Homeland.” In 1992, he won a Humanitas Prize for the TV drama “I’ll Fly Away.”
    The 66-year-old Bromell was “an immensely talented and prolific” writer and producer, Showtime said in a statement. His other TV credits included “Northern Exposure,” ”Chicago Hope,” ”Rubicon” and “Brotherhood.”
    He is survived by his wife, Sarah, and sons William and Jake, according to his agent.

    Funeral plans were not immediately announced.



    ‘Homeland’ Writer-Producer Henry Bromell Dies at 66 | XFINITY TV Blog by Comcast


    RIP Mr Bromell
    You know, a dozen press agents working overtime can do terrible things to the human spirit. ~Cecil B. DeMille
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

    Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.


  10. #25
    Elite Member Waterslide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    out where the buses don't run
    Posts
    13,100

    Default

    Sorry for the double post, but I think it's more appropriate to make a new post for adding all of my babbling rather than post it in the obituary post.

    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    For an agency like that, quasi FBI/CIA/NSA, you would have to not only pass a rigorous background check, you would have to pass a lifestyle polygraph. The background check almost certainly would have vetted you for psychiatric conditions and psychotropic medications you were on. I'm hearing you could have a tough time working for the FBI if you had even taken Adderall at one point. But I think something like Haldol or Clozapine (I forgot exactly which medication she is on) would be an absolute no go -- and I think it's stated that Carrie has lied about whether she takes medication. However, the lifestyle poly is like a two-hour test where I think it would have been revealed that she was on strong meds and/or that she has some evident psychological issues.
    I actually was going to go into something of this nature in college, but I had some issues beyond my control that changed that path for me, so that was that. However, I remember at the time, some of my friends were worried they wouldn't get clearance due to prior contact with a psychologist. Back then, it was pretty strict. I had heard some people were turned away just because there was family HISTORY of mental illness. It was a long time ago, and I try to block a lot of that time out of my head, but I swear this was the sort of conversations that were going on at the time. But it can't have changed that much, right? I mean, like I said before, it's not about being prejudiced against a bipolar person, it's for the safety of the operative and for the safety of their colleagues. It's a job with high burn out rate for "sane" people, I just don't get how this particular girl and her particular set of problems could pass muster and be the most amazing, trustworthy woman for the job. Long story, just to say, that I agree with what you said Mo. I guess it makes for a great story, but, eh...it's not so believable.

    And Mo, did you ever see the SNL where Anne Hathaway does the spoof of Carrie? I thought it was kind of funny and really encapsulated the basic points of any given episode.


    Sorry this is so crappy, but it's worth watching if you can find it in better quality at NBC.



    Quote Originally Posted by Kathie_Moffett View Post
    This show really is off the hook with all the hot Brit actors. droool. Rupert Friend is great and I hope there'll be more of his character. Also hope Damian Lewis reappears. Unlike some of you, I found his and Carrie's relationship oddly, sadly compelling and believable. They're both so hopelessly fucked up and somehow they connect through that.



    Did you know that some people out there on the web think Sol might be the hidden traitor? Interesting thought and that would be a hell of a twist, right up there with Janet Leigh in the shower with the butcher knife for me.



    Angst! Totally agree about Danes' pissy hair. Shave her head!!! Put a pink sparkly burka over that shit plz.

    In response to your statements I bolded:

    1. mostly the audience, because we had to listen to Brody's daughter's endless narcissistic whines ALL SEASON LONG. Holy fuck she was annoying. The last few episodes I was beginning to have fantasies about putting her head on a stick in Brody's front yard.

    2. They wouldn't. It's fiction. Nobody with Carrie's mental illness (bipolar I think? with some psychotic symptoms?) would ever get hired by the CIA. I suppose the theory is she outsmarted the polygraph and is lying about her meds. I have heard it's possible to beat the poly. But mostly just for sociopaths who can completely control their body's emotional responses, not an emotional wackjob like Carrie. I watched the first episode again recently. I'd completely forgotten how she *hits on Sol* at one point to try and keep her job. Wow. It's like crazy trailer trash Carrie peeks out for a sec there. The writers sure "evolved" her character this season!

    Also agree that it's so nice to see a good spy thriller on the air again. About time. And in all seriousness...I appreciate the treatment of Carrie's illness. They actually seem to have done their homework and if shows like this help people like her to be more understood and less ostracized, that's all good.



    But at least the daughter will go!!! Isn't that worth losing Morena?!? Please say yes. I can't take any more of that kid.
    1. LOL about keeping my sympathy for the audience and Brody's daughter's whining. OMG, she's so irritating. I don't know I can't even figure Brody out, though.
    2. See my rambling post above. It's just not possible, right? And LOL - Carrie is so strange. Carrie behaves like she was raised in a bar, and has the bleach blonde piss hair to prove it.
    3. Yes, I agree it's interesting that she has the illness, because it makes the story. And I also get the impression that she lied to get in and that her condition got worse after she took the job at the CIA. I mean, it's not like that stressful job at the CIA would make anyone extra loopy or anything. After that though, it should be interesting how they do deal with that. If something happens and a person gets PTSD on a job, they probably like people closer than cut away completely and probably have special programs to get them back into the agency. Maybe? I don't know. It's late and I'm just throwing out guesses now.
    4. About Carrie and Brody, I can think of a love affair like that happen, I love movies that use that theme of modern day unrequited love. I just don't find anything very redeemable about him and I guess I'm just curious to see what Carrie sees when she looks at him. Maybe that's what they will end up exploring this next season (or is he definitely off the show forever?)
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    You know, a dozen press agents working overtime can do terrible things to the human spirit. ~Cecil B. DeMille
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

    Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.


  11. #26
    Elite Member KrisNine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sleepy night night land
    Posts
    22,887

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kathie_Moffett View Post
    This show really is off the hook with all the hot Brit actors. droool. Rupert Friend is great and I hope there'll be more of his character. Also hope Damian Lewis reappears. Unlike some of you, I found his and Carrie's relationship oddly, sadly compelling and believable. They're both so hopelessly fucked up and somehow they connect through that.



    Did you know that some people out there on the web think Sol might be the hidden traitor? Interesting thought and that would be a hell of a twist, right up there with Janet Leigh in the shower with the butcher knife for me.



    Angst! Totally agree about Danes' pissy hair. Shave her head!!! Put a pink sparkly burka over that shit plz.

    In response to your statements I bolded:

    1. mostly the audience, because we had to listen to Brody's daughter's endless narcissistic whines ALL SEASON LONG. Holy fuck she was annoying. The last few episodes I was beginning to have fantasies about putting her head on a stick in Brody's front yard.

    2. They wouldn't. It's fiction. Nobody with Carrie's mental illness (bipolar I think? with some psychotic symptoms?) would ever get hired by the CIA. I suppose the theory is she outsmarted the polygraph and is lying about her meds. I have heard it's possible to beat the poly. But mostly just for sociopaths who can completely control their body's emotional responses, not an emotional wackjob like Carrie. I watched the first episode again recently. I'd completely forgotten how she *hits on Sol* at one point to try and keep her job. Wow. It's like crazy trailer trash Carrie peeks out for a sec there. The writers sure "evolved" her character this season!

    Also agree that it's so nice to see a good spy thriller on the air again. About time. And in all seriousness...I appreciate the treatment of Carrie's illness. They actually seem to have done their homework and if shows like this help people like her to be more understood and less ostracized, that's all good.



    But at least the daughter will go!!! Isn't that worth losing Morena?!? Please say yes. I can't take any more of that kid.
    In response to the bolded part, I have always had it in the back of my head that Saul had something to hide and perhaps he was the mole. There were a few things that happened and he just looked suspicious. Of course, it didn't come out after the first season, so I sort of thought maybe not. Anyway, it would be a very interesting twist.

    Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    How did I never come back in this thread?

    Unfortunately, the reason I came over here was because I was thinking about this show the other day and wondering when it was coming back. Then I saw this sad news.

    [h=1]


    ‘Homeland’ Writer-Producer Henry Bromell Dies at 66 | XFINITY TV Blog by Comcast


    RIP Mr Bromell
    I saw this earlier. Very sad.
    Waterslide likes this.

  12. #27
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    25,723

    Default

    I.....LOVED.... that SNL parody. Thanks. The guy playing Saul totally nailed it, including his voice. The guy playing Brody - great. I didn't notice the tiny mouth thing until they pointed it out, but it totally makes sense. I loved Hathaway's freakout when Brody walked away from her. I liked Rudolph's impression, except it wasn't the peevish annoying version of the daughter.
    Waterslide likes this.

  13. #28
    Elite Member Waterslide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    out where the buses don't run
    Posts
    13,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I.....LOVED.... that SNL parody. Thanks. The guy playing Saul totally nailed it, including his voice. The guy playing Brody - great. I didn't notice the tiny mouth thing until they pointed it out, but it totally makes sense. I loved Hathaway's freakout when Brody walked away from her. I liked Rudolph's impression, except it wasn't the peevish annoying version of the daughter.
    My favorite part is when Brody walks away from Carrie, too. I didn't notice Brody's tiny mouth either until I watched this, I can just imagine whoever wrote the skit sitting on their couch watching the show going, "What is wrong with that guy's mouth?" But the other part I loved is when Saul said, "She's a rock, nothing gets to her, she's the best in the biz," all the while she's freaking out.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    You know, a dozen press agents working overtime can do terrible things to the human spirit. ~Cecil B. DeMille
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

    Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.


  14. #29
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,144

    Default

    Season 3 is here. Who's watching? I'm not too crazy about this seasons start so far.

  15. #30
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    25,723

    Default

    I haven't been able to get back into it.

    I'm down to just watching "Walking Dead" when it comes back. Next Sunday, I think? I will be STOPPING EVERYTHING to watch that show. I predict that scientists will eventually be able to detect the exact spot in someone's brain that makes them obsessed with zombie dystopias.
    Alysheba likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Homeland Insecurity
    By celeb_2006 in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: December 14th, 2009, 02:24 AM
  2. Democrats set homeland security changes
    By JamieElizabeth in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 4th, 2007, 08:41 PM
  3. Homeland security fails the test -- again
    By pacific breeze in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 14th, 2006, 02:42 AM
  4. What your tax dollars do at the Dept. of Homeland Security
    By AliceInWonderland in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: August 11th, 2006, 01:43 PM
  5. Homeland Security HQ not secure.
    By buttmunch in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: March 7th, 2006, 10:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •